Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Apr 2013 (Sunday) 02:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod for Hiking/Travelling...5DM3+70​-200 2.8

maass
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 28, 2013 02:07 |  #1

Hello Folks,

Greetings :)
This is my first post and I am based out of India.
I recently bought 5DM3 + 24-70 2.8 + 70-200 2.8
I will be travelling to Ladakh in the month of July and i need some advice on getting myself a Tripod.

I have finalized on getting a Gitzo and RRS/Markins ball head :D
I stand at 5'6" and I need some advice on Gitzo series selection that goes with RRS/Markins head.

Please give your suggestions based on your own experience.

Regards
Hari

sponsored links
projectmayhem713
584 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 28, 2013 10:48 |  #2

Gitzo 1542T is an awesome compact tripod. Theres a bunch of topics in this section about this tripod with RRS and Markins heads. Some prefer the older 1541T which is only available used.

Theres a rebate right now on Gitzo products also. You may even be able to find one used...

https://photography-on-the.net …t=1292516&highl​ight=gitzo

:cool:

5D2 - 24-70 f2.8L - 50 1.4 - S100
My Blogsite (external link)

Judsonzhao
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 28, 2013 16:21 |  #3

154xt will be just fine

Fly me away.

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 28, 2013 21:21 |  #4

This can't be answered without a budget.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 29, 2013 00:39 |  #5

If you can afford any Gitzo, go RRS.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

maass
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 29, 2013 02:56 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #6

Thanks Guys for the suggestions.
I can spend up to 800$ on the Tripod Kit.

Hari

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 29, 2013 10:05 |  #7

maass wrote in post #15877991 (external link)
Thanks Guys for the suggestions.
I can spend up to 800$ on the Tripod Kit.

Hari

I'm assuming this includes a tripod head.

The head is just as important as the legs, so you should split it approximately half-half (well, a bit more for the legs, 60:40 ish), which makes it ~$500 for the legs, $300 for the head.
If you're at all open to brands other than Gitzo, I recommend the following to consider (not saying don't get Gitzo, just give you more options).
Legs:
-Feisol
-Benro
-Induro
-RRS (but I think this is out of budget)

All 3 make good travel tripods. Feisol is pricier than the other two, but their travel tripods benefit from machined aluminium parts as opposed to cast metal found on virtually every other brand. Interestingly, only RRS also use machined parts. Machined parts are much tougher than cast parts. I have not tried an Induro tripod before, I have tried lots of Benro tripods. I find Feisol to be slightly better quality than Benro, not just because of the machined parts, but also in terms of operation and "feel". Gitzo legs operate nicer (the parts are more precise and refined), but for the same price, you will be able to get a larger/sturdier set of Feisol/Benro legs than Gitzo.

Heads:
Acratech
Markins
RRS
Arca-Swiss

Acratech and Markins make heads that will allow reverse-folding of the tripod legs on models which have that feature. More specifically, the Acratech GP-s and GP-ss, and the Markins Q3T. RRS heads don't, but in my experience the operation of RRS heads is a bit smoother (comparing approximately equivalent models), and the knobs are nicer to use so its a tradeoff. I have no experience with Arca-Swiss heads, but I know they are top notch in terms of quality.

I've posted this several times already on these forums, but here it is again, a list of what my Feisol 3441T has been through:
Took it to Iceland and used it on sharp volcanic rocks in the rain, it was partially submerged in freezing salt water (unintentionally by a rogue wave as well as intentionally at Jokulsarlon), in sand (which thanks to the wave also got everywhere), under the hot shower back at the hostel with me to wash out the salt and sand.

Took it to Scotland where it was used on wet grass and mud.

Took it to China where it was scraped along granite rocks and used in relatively strong winds hiking around the Yellow Mountains (I was extremely thankful for the light weight there, have you ever walked up and down steep stairs for 6 hours straight with a loaded pack?).

Back here in Hong Kong it has been used on very uneven rocks, and has fallen into a river twice, being completely submerged as well as being bashed against rocks (both my ballhead and the legs bear the scars).

In France it was used in a snowstorm as well as being buried in the stuff.

It has not been babied at all.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

ghost68
163 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 29, 2013 17:54 |  #8

My hiking/backpacking setup is a Feisol 3441T w/ RAL Anti Rotation Legs + Acratech GP-s - spot on for you budget of $800...

The legs fold up small and the whole setup is very light... I'm 6'3 so the 3441T is the model I chose... Being 5'6 you would probably be better off with the 3441S model. The GP-s ballhead is pretty awesome as well because it doubles as both a Pano head and as a Gimbal head... This thing goes with me everywhere I can take a tripod and has seen a plenty of abuse across many backpacking / hiking trips over the last year and is still chugging along like new...

I would suggest investing in a set of Long Spikes and a Short Center Column so you can get low and stable ;)

Smugmug (external link)

DJHess
30 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 29, 2013 21:12 |  #9

I trolled around on eBay and missed some good deals on used Gitzo series 3 tripods. If you can wait (I was too impatient) you can get a nice set up.

D.Hess
7D | 10-22 | 70-200 f2.8L | Sigma 50 f1.4 | 28-135 kit | 430 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Gitzo 3532LS/RRS BH-55/B2AS II | Sirui 326/RRS MH-01/B2-40LR | next to buy...24-70 f2.8

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 29, 2013 22:45 |  #10

I've been eyeballing the rrs tripods. Have you looked at those?

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

maass
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 02, 2013 01:41 |  #11

Sirrith wrote in post #15878756 (external link)
I'm assuming this includes a tripod head.

The head is just as important as the legs, so you should split it approximately half-half (well, a bit more for the legs, 60:40 ish), which makes it ~$500 for the legs, $300 for the head.
If you're at all open to brands other than Gitzo, I recommend the following to consider (not saying don't get Gitzo, just give you more options).
Legs:
-Feisol
-Benro
-Induro
-RRS (but I think this is out of budget)

All 3 make good travel tripods. Feisol is pricier than the other two, but their travel tripods benefit from machined aluminium parts as opposed to cast metal found on virtually every other brand. Interestingly, only RRS also use machined parts. Machined parts are much tougher than cast parts. I have not tried an Induro tripod before, I have tried lots of Benro tripods. I find Feisol to be slightly better quality than Benro, not just because of the machined parts, but also in terms of operation and "feel". Gitzo legs operate nicer (the parts are more precise and refined), but for the same price, you will be able to get a larger/sturdier set of Feisol/Benro legs than Gitzo.

Heads:
Acratech
Markins
RRS
Arca-Swiss

Acratech and Markins make heads that will allow reverse-folding of the tripod legs on models which have that feature. More specifically, the Acratech GP-s and GP-ss, and the Markins Q3T. RRS heads don't, but in my experience the operation of RRS heads is a bit smoother (comparing approximately equivalent models), and the knobs are nicer to use so its a tradeoff. I have no experience with Arca-Swiss heads, but I know they are top notch in terms of quality.

I've posted this several times already on these forums, but here it is again, a list of what my Feisol 3441T has been through:
Took it to Iceland and used it on sharp volcanic rocks in the rain, it was partially submerged in freezing salt water (unintentionally by a rogue wave as well as intentionally at Jokulsarlon), in sand (which thanks to the wave also got everywhere), under the hot shower back at the hostel with me to wash out the salt and sand.

Took it to Scotland where it was used on wet grass and mud.

Took it to China where it was scraped along granite rocks and used in relatively strong winds hiking around the Yellow Mountains (I was extremely thankful for the light weight there, have you ever walked up and down steep stairs for 6 hours straight with a loaded pack?).

Back here in Hong Kong it has been used on very uneven rocks, and has fallen into a river twice, being completely submerged as well as being bashed against rocks (both my ballhead and the legs bear the scars).

In France it was used in a snowstorm as well as being buried in the stuff.

It has not been babied at all.

Thanks Sirrith for detailed description.
I have two questions regarding Quick Release Plates for 5DM3 and RRS BH40 LR and LRII

1) Will the RRS B5D3A plate work for 70-200 2.8 also or do i need to buy RRS L84 plate separately ?
2) Will the bigger clamp on BH40 LRII hit the Gitzo GT1542T/Feisol CT-3441S ?

Hari

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 02, 2013 03:55 |  #12

maass wrote in post #15889311 (external link)
Thanks Sirrith for detailed description.
I have two questions regarding Quick Release Plates for 5DM3 and RRS BH40 LR and LRII

1) Will the RRS B5D3A plate work for 70-200 2.8 also or do i need to buy RRS L84 plate separately ?
2) Will the bigger clamp on BH40 LRII hit the Gitzo GT1542T/Feisol CT-3441S ?

Hari

No problem, Hari.

1) I don't think so, the B5D3A plate is customized for the 5D3 body, which means it has curved flanges as you can see from the pictures on the RRS website. If the 70-200's tripod foot is narrow enough to fit in the area between the flanges, then yes. If not, then you will need a separate plate for it.

2) It should not hit on the 3441S. I don't think it will hit on the Gitzo either, but I am not sure.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,373 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod for Hiking/Travelling...5DM3+70​-200 2.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.