Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Apr 2013 (Monday) 05:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-105L not as good on 5d3??

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 29, 2013 13:33 |  #16

w0m wrote in post #15879331 (external link)
I think it's mostly considered slow due the ubiquity (how long has it been standard ff kit lens?) and the fact that it's relatively slow (f/4) over it's (standard) 24-105 range. Not f/1.2? Not Macro? Not sure wide? Not tele? Not white? Boring (s/mediocre).

"Kit" lens in this instance is just a marketting term used by salespeople and endlessly repeated on this forum.

I talked to the technician who repaired mine after about 100K shots and a needed diaphragm actuator and he said there is NOTHING "kit" about it's build quality or optics. And at 24mm on FF it's perfect for many wedding groups, 105mm delivers very nice portraits, and the middle range serves well for good crowd candids. Plus it's great at urban landscaping and hiking.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 29, 2013 13:35 |  #17

ed rader wrote in post #15879370 (external link)
we gotta get you a 24-70L II ;).

Well yeah Ed :D.... there's no question the 24-70L II is a fine lens, but then I'd miss my 105mm for those tight urban landscape compositions ;).

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

ROGERWILCO357
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 29, 2013 14:51 |  #18

I love the 24-105L and it gets more play time than any other for its wide range in coverage to its L characteristics coupled with its light weight makes it one of my fav’s.

EOS 5DMKII gripped;EOS 7D;30D:Rebel Xti Digital;24-105L,70-200 f/2.8L.II,85mm f1.2L.II,16-35Lmk2, SP AF90mmF/2.8DI,28-135mm x 2,580EX II-430ExII with Pocket Wizards II,(Adobe CS5)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,126 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 29, 2013 15:11 |  #19

sapearl wrote in post #15879475 (external link)
Well yeah Ed :D.... there's no question the 24-70L II is a fine lens, but then I'd miss my 105mm for those tight urban landscape compositions ;).

SP -- I bet you'd get over it quickly ;).

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 29, 2013 19:06 |  #20

Ed - OmfGG!!! I just noticed your link Climbing_the_Bay_Bridg​e.

Now, I LOVE bridges and I'm actually in the middle of chronicling the construction of a huge one in Cleveland now..... but I don't think I could do what you did. FANTASTIC vantage point shots!

GEAR LIST

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 29, 2013 19:41 |  #21

A lens, whatever the lens, is going to be capable of a certain level of resolution. Moving the lens from a lower resolution camera to a higher one, it is absolutely impossible that the higher resolution camera is going to make the lens less capable or worse.

About the only thing that does happen sometimes is that non-thinking people will look at 1:1 pixel views from both the low resolution and high resolution cameras, and without thinking about the fact that they are looking at a much, much bigger image from the high resolution camera they conclude that the lens looks 'softer' on that body.

It does not of course....it looks bigger. And a bigger view of the same image will look softer too.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

ed ­ rader
23,126 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 29, 2013 19:43 |  #22

sapearl wrote in post #15880543 (external link)
Ed - OmfGG!!! I just noticed your link Climbing_the_Bay_Bridg​e.

Now, I LOVE bridges and I'm actually in the middle of chronicling the construction of a huge one in Cleveland now..... but I don't think I could do what you did. FANTASTIC vantage point shots!

SP -- unless you are scared of heights and are out of shape you could do it. just don't look down ;)! seriously I didn't think I could do it either but I've been up three times, under a couple of times and even even inside one of the towers.

my goal is to hit all the towers on the western span (two left) and climb the new tower of the eastern span when that bridge is opened later this year. and I really want to climb the GG bridge as well which is a possibility but a long shot as of now.

I plan to also do some night shots of the east and west spans of the bay bridge and some daytime stuff from various vantage points like I did with the GG a few years ago.

do you have anything posted on your bridge?

5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 29, 2013 19:57 |  #23

ed rader wrote in post #15880658 (external link)
SP -- unless you are scared of heights and are out of shape you could do it. just don't look down ;)! seriously I didn't think I could do it either but I've been up three times, under a couple of times and even even inside one of the towers.

my goal is to hit all the towers on the western span (two left) and climb the new tower of the eastern span when that bridge is opened later this year. and I really want to climb the GG bridge as well which is a possibility but a long shot as of now.

I plan to also do some night shots of the east and west spans of the bay bridge and some daytime stuff from various vantage points like I did with the GG a few years ago.

do you have anything posted on your bridge?

That really is quite an accomplishment Ed; tip-o-the-hat to you ;). Heights do bother me, but if I can distract myself with picture taking then I forget about he altitude :D. My bridge work is not as dramatic being for the most part from ground level. Here are a couple of links:

http://pearlphoto.blog​spot.com …oncrete-capping-pier.html (external link)

http://pearlphoto.blog​spot.com/2013/02/bridg​ing-tremont.html (external link)

http://pearlphoto.blog​spot.com …/buffalo-on-cuyahoga.html (external link)

http://pearlphoto.blog​spot.com/2012/05/rebar​-moonscape.html (external link)

Stu

GEAR LIST

ed ­ rader
23,126 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 29, 2013 20:13 |  #24

sapearl wrote in post #15880709 (external link)
That really is quite an accomplishment Ed; tip-o-the-hat to you ;). Heights do bother me, but if I can distract myself with picture taking then I forget about he altitude :D. My bridge work is not as dramatic being for the most part from ground level. Here are a couple of links:

http://pearlphoto.blog​spot.com …oncrete-capping-pier.html (external link)

http://pearlphoto.blog​spot.com/2013/02/bridg​ing-tremont.html (external link)

http://pearlphoto.blog​spot.com …/buffalo-on-cuyahoga.html (external link)

http://pearlphoto.blog​spot.com/2012/05/rebar​-moonscape.html (external link)

Stu

your pictures are technically perfect and very interesting. it's obvious to me that you've spent many hours at the site. is the reflection in the last picture you in a hard hat? how did you get permission to be on the job site.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 29, 2013 20:31 |  #25

ed rader wrote in post #15880791 (external link)
you're pictures are technically perfect and very interesting. it's obvious to me that you've spent many hours at the site. is the reflection in the last picture you in a hard hat? how did you get permission to be on the job site.

Thank you for those kind words Ed - much appreciated ;). And yes - you nailed it...that's me in the hard hat. I've been tracking the project for the past two years. It's the largest bridge construction project in the history of Ohio.

When I first "arrived" on the scene - public sidewalks - the safety officers made it very clear which lines I was not to cross. The site is quite dangerous with a lot of heavy machinery, shifting soil, sharp metal, pits, and overhead cranes. I said I wanted to get much closer and asked how I could do that. He gave me the number of the Public Affairs Manager. I'd already done a fair amount of shooting from sidewalks and blogged those images, so I called her and sent a link to my work demonstrating how serious I was about my efforts to capture their progress. I asked to get closer. In the interest of PR she was eager to help and about every 3 months or so we get together, she issues me a hard hat, safety glasses and vest, and we walk the site.

I follow her rules, observe all safety measures, and she lets me shoot to my heart's content. Plus I make their project look good :D. It's a win-win.

Two pieces have already been in museum exhibitions plus I get the satisfaction of creating a historical record of capturing our changing urban landscape. My goal is to record the event and also to try and create art from all the patterns and geometry. And 95% of it was done with the 24-105. I don't really want to be changing lenses in that environment. - Stu

GEAR LIST

ed ­ rader
23,126 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 29, 2013 20:47 |  #26

sapearl wrote in post #15880856 (external link)
Thank you for those kind words Ed - much appreciated ;). And yes - you nailed it...that's me in the hard hat. I've been tracking the project for the past two years. It's the largest bridge construction project in the history of Ohio.

When I first "arrived" on the scene - public sidewalks - the safety officers made it very clear which lines I was not to cross. The site is quite dangerous with a lot of heavy machinery, shifting soil, sharp metal, pits, and overhead cranes. I said I wanted to get much closer and asked how I could do that. He gave me the number of the Public Affairs Manager. I'd already done a fair amount of shooting from sidewalks and blogged those images, so I called her and sent a link to my work demonstrating how serious I was about my efforts to capture their progress. I asked to get closer. In the interest of PR she was eager to help and about every 3 months or so we get together, she issues me a hard hat, safety glasses and vest, and we walk the site.

I follow her rules, observe all safety measures, and she lets me shoot to my heart's content. Plus I make their project look good :D. It's a win-win.

Two pieces have already been in museum exhibitions plus I get the satisfaction of creating a historical record of capturing our changing urban landscape. My goal is to record the event and also to try and create art from all the patterns and geometry. And 95% of it was done with the 24-105. I don't really want to be changing lenses in that environment. - Stu

you should write a book or do you plan to? If I ever go up on the bridge at night i'll probably borrow my buddy's 24-105L because a tripod isn't practical and IS will be a must. I also have the 35 f2 IS (comes tomorrow) but nothing else short with IS.

you make a strong case for the 24-105L. in the right hands its a great reportage lens.

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 29, 2013 20:53 |  #27

The 24-105L is a boring lens yes. Mediocre, it is not. I get great IQ and sharpness from it, but over all I am very bored with it.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 29, 2013 21:23 |  #28

Tony_Stark wrote in post #15880934 (external link)
The 24-105L is a boring lens yes. Mediocre, it is not. I get great IQ and sharpness from it, but over all I am very bored with it.

What do you think Ed - maybe he should climb some bridges with it? :lol:

GEAR LIST

ed ­ rader
23,126 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 29, 2013 22:02 |  #29

sapearl wrote in post #15881043 (external link)
What do you think Ed - maybe he should climb some bridges with it? :lol:

heh heh :D!

KarlGB77
556 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 29, 2013 23:30 |  #30

For everyone who has always boasted that the 24-70 is one of the best, the tests show as others here have noted over time, that the 24-105 is actually sharper.
But don't take my word for it.

http://www.lensrentals​.com …70-f4-is-resolution-tests (external link)

Canon 5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, T2i (2), 24-105 f4LIS, 17-40 f4L, 70-200f4L IS, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 100 2.8, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 50 1.8, 15-85 f4-5.6 IS, 60 2.8, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 430 EX II, 580 EX II, Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod w/ 498RC2, Calumet 8121 Tripod, Manfrotto 679B Monopod w/ 234 RC2 head

sponsored links

6,758 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-105L not as good on 5d3??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.