Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 15:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MY FIRST DSLR

this thread is locked
Marcos ­ Dantas
126 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 29, 2013 22:36 |  #196

kcbrown wrote in post #15881260 (external link)
Sounds like things are bad there in terms of the economy. :(

The overall brazillian economy isn't that bad at the moment. The problem resides with the Rio's camera business. :lol:

Maybe that is the reason ... People with too much money at their hands choosing to buy new, shiny cameras instead of old, dusty ones :lol:

sponsored links
kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 29, 2013 23:17 |  #197

Marcos Dantas wrote in post #15881281 (external link)
The overall brazillian economy isn't that bad at the moment. The problem resides with the Rio's camera business. :lol:

Maybe that is the reason ... People with too much money at their hands choosing to buy new, shiny cameras instead of old, dusty ones :lol:

Heh.

You'd think that would be good for the used camera market, actually, as they'd be replacing their old dusty cameras with new shiny ones, and would presumably want to sell their old cameras in order to be able to better pay for the new ones.

That the used camera market there is so bad, when combined with the loss of camera stores in the area, implies that people are hanging onto their gear, and that implies the photography economy there is in relatively bad shape.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

ZIM ­ SOGEN
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 30, 2013 02:53 |  #198
bannedPermanent ban

Marcos Dantas wrote in post #15880563 (external link)
Well, a third worlder here, also. I'm Brazilian. Although there are camera stores in Brazil, I also did not have anyone who could assist me picking (or teaching to use) a camera. I simply bought what I could pay.

I bought a "lowly" entry level camera and I'm still using that. I would love a new body, with a second control wheel, but I don't have money for that at moment and ... the truth is, I don't really need a more expensive body. That "plasticky" body still works (I trust it will work for a very long time) and the defamed "nifty fifty" is sharp enough for portraiture of my family.

Your country and mine are not the same!! And I dont buy any valuable technology used, my experience is that they are always in a condition too bad for me!!

My standards are high when it comes to technolgy and things personally valuable to me, any thing less than my lowest and still high standards and I want nothing!!!

My experience being is when I buy low I get low performance and I am ALWAYS dissatisfied, I would rather rather buy what I dont need and overspend a bit, than to buy something less and regret it, and I regret buying less too many times in my early adult life.

Again I will not buy anything LESS than a new camera and I wont buy any thing less than a 650D with a efs 15-85mm lens

Your standards in DSLR tech is lower than mine as I see, and I stated why I want a camera, not to take simple family pictures, to take gorgeous landscape, poeple, wild life, things I like to stare at.

Everything I know about DSLR I learned online and forums like these and I am glad I found out.

I am THE GOD of ALL that EXIST! My Greatest Enemy is HUMANITY!!!

ZIM ­ SOGEN
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 30, 2013 03:00 |  #199
bannedPermanent ban

The Trinidad and Tobago economy has no real camera business or any real business dealing in my favorite, just a set of so called places that sell new tech at RIPP OFF prices.

On DSLRs and all accessories I have to pay 38% VAT and DUTY, 15% value added tax, then 20% of the cost of the camera and the VAT together making up 38%, and even when the only camera business has their stock at reasonable prices they dont stock in the cameras and lenses they want,
and the women who runs it has a foriegn spanish/mideastern accent and can barely speak english.

My brother is my only hope of getting a camera down here without vat and duty.

cab ­ ny
101 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 30, 2013 07:52 |  #200

If you know you will not buy anything lower than the 650D and the lens you want why is this thread being dragged out you already made your mind up

Marcos ­ Dantas
126 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 30, 2013 08:24 |  #201

kcbrown wrote in post #15881388 (external link)
Heh.

You'd think that would be good for the used camera market, actually, as they'd be replacing their old dusty cameras with new shiny ones, and would presumably want to sell their old cameras in order to be able to better pay for the new ones.

That the used camera market there is so bad, when combined with the loss of camera stores in the area, implies that people are hanging onto their gear, and that implies the photography economy there is in relatively bad shape.

No, they are not replacing their old dusty cameras because they didn't had that old cameras in first place. I only could justify the purchase of a SLR some years ago, for example. The photography economy is booming (only the "used and repair" market, in Rio, took a hit), a lot of people are buying a good camera for the first time. Few people are not interested in buying a old camera because now they can finally buy a "nice" camera.

In the same note, when that nice camera malfunctions, people simply buy a new one, or resort to their camphones. As in the past the camera market was depressed, a decent infrastrutucture of servicing stores never developed. I know where to look for, but when my wife's old camera broke, I found that the repairs would cost almost the same as a new camera.

My point is that first world experience is not easily applicable to a third world situation.

On a side note, people here usually don't buy cameras at specialized camera stores. In Rio and São Paulo, DSLR are sold at ..., well, ... at a hi tech kasbah :lol::lol: No, I'm serious. :lol::lol: Point & shots are sold at departament stores, supermarkets aaaand ... street vendors (the regular kasbah) :lol:

Marcos ­ Dantas
126 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 30, 2013 08:39 |  #202

ZIM SOGEN wrote in post #15881787 (external link)
(...)
Your standards in DSLR tech is lower than mine as I see,

I think photographic standards should be more important, but whatever ... :confused:

ZIM SOGEN wrote in post #15881787 (external link)
and I stated why I want a camera, not to take simple family pictures, to take gorgeous landscape, poeple, wild life, things I like to stare at.

Wow, Zim, that hurts!:lol:
I will let you know that I have a gorgeous family. In fact, I'm the token ugly one. That is the reason I'm the one behind the camera! :lol:

automag928
241 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 30, 2013 09:55 as a reply to  @ ZIM SOGEN's post |  #203

ZIM SOGEN wrote:
I hate my backgrounds out of focus, and I am into photography as a deeply personal hobby.
I am more likely to use lower apertures of f4 and lower.

lol im gone for a few days and this thread explodes to over 14 pages....I was really going to try and read the other 8 or so pages, but completely stopped when I read this, and also taking into observation that you've been giving many good suggestions.

Your statement right there is completely contradictory and exemplifies that you have no clue what you are doing. I hate to sound like this and please dont take it the wrong way, go read some basic photography books about exposure etc. You hate the backgrounds out of focus, but you are going to use apertures of f4 and lower, which generally speaking is going to blur the background the lower you go. Before that you were asking about shutter speeds / ISO for rainy days...Before you drop any big money on a brand new shiny expensive dslr, go get one cheap...I mean cheap like a rebel xt or something. Figure the basics of DSLR photography out. Your views might change once having owned a DSLR on your needs. You may end up saying you want a full frame, or might like the compactness of the t3 / t4, or want the FPS of the 7D - but things that wont change between all those bodies is HOW a picture is taken - ISO, shutter speed, and aperture all coming together to generate the exposure of the image.

Canon 5D4 | Canon 6D | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II | Canon 70-200 f2.8 L II | Canon 24-105 f4 L | Canon 70-300 L | Canon 85 f1.8 | Canon 50 f1.8 | 430EXIII

Gear / Feedback

ZIM ­ SOGEN
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 30, 2013 12:26 |  #204
bannedPermanent ban

Marcos Dantas wrote in post #15882337 (external link)
I think photographic standards should be more important, but whatever ... :confused:

Wow, Zim, that hurts!:lol:
I will let you know that I have a gorgeous family. In fact, I'm the token ugly one. That is the reason I'm the one behind the camera! :lol:

I did not mean to demean your family, I am mere state that my reasons for taking photos are more than simple family photos.

And my tech standard are high because my photo standard are high, and new tech means more convenience in use of the tech most of the time!!

The only older camera I will consider is the 7D based on video reviews the controls look convenient to use and other than a little more noise that is a great camera!

Marcos ­ Dantas
126 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 30, 2013 22:42 |  #205

ZIM SOGEN wrote in post #15883094 (external link)
I did not mean to demean your family, I am mere state that my reasons for taking photos are more than simple family photos.

You didn't demeaned my family, but right now you are dissing my chosen subject. Maybe they aren't much good, but my family photos aren't simple, aren't casual and there is no way all national parks plus all of the endangered bird species in this world can be a more valid subject than my own grandaughter.
I dare any photographer here to say I'm wrong.
I am trying to be civil here, but you should review what really matters to you, and I not talking about camera specs anymore.
Let leave that behind, okay?

And my tech standard are high because my photo standard are high, and new tech means more convenience in use of the tech most of the time!!

You are right in only one point: New tech is usually more convenient, but that is all.
It won't affect the quality of yours photos because the fundamental camera technology is already five centuries old! The most advanced DSLR today is a plain camera obscura with some others technologies added. These added technologies can be very usefull, but in very specific situations.

For example, a fast buffer don't mean a thing to a landscape photog. It is sheer nonsense to declare the 7D as a good camera because it has a fast continuous shooting. The 7D really is a good camera ... for a action photog.

The only older camera I will consider is the 7D based on video reviews the controls look convenient to use and other than a little more noise that is a great camera!

Note to others. I know I am being imprecise a little, but I am doing that for emphasis.

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 30, 2013 22:59 |  #206

Ok, It is my judgment that this thread has run it's course.
Have a good day everyone,

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

sponsored links

14,438 views & 0 likes for this thread
MY FIRST DSLR
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.