Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 30 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D mark III firmware relesed update

tribalstu
152 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 30, 2013 10:19 |  #1

get it here.........
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …_display/EOS5DM​3_firmware (external link)

sponsored links
lapino
521 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 30, 2013 10:41 |  #2

I don't use hdmi output, nor extenders. Any use in installing this then?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/23660915@N07/ (external link)
Gear:
Fuji X-T3 / 18-55 / 23-1.4 / 35-2 / 55-200 / RX100M4
Sony A7III / Tamron 28-75 / 55-1.8

JAcosta
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 30, 2013 10:56 |  #3

lapino wrote in post #15882713 (external link)
I don't use hdmi output, nor extenders. Any use in installing this then?

Im in the same boat as you. Im going to give it a few weeks and see if there's any bugs with the new firmware. If it seems like its fine, Ill install it just because.

Like any of the photos Ive posted?flickr flickr flickr (external link)
^^^Click Here^^^
Chances are you'll see something else you like!

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,717 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 30, 2013 11:12 |  #4

I installed the 1.2.1 firmware update on Saturday (it was leaked on Friday) and have had no problems. AF works great with 100-400mm = 1.4x III extender. I think this is the first firmware release for any product that I can recall making a significant improvement. I'm very happy to be able to shoot at 560mm now.

It's too bad the 5D III couldn't have these features right out of the gate, but it's really nice to get an upgrade a year later.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,096 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 30, 2013 11:18 |  #5

Just FYI, I think this Firmware was one of the longest withheld release in DSLR history.
They leaked it being a priority last Summer, Official announcement in October for an April release, Released the 1Dx version months ago, and made us wait an additional month in the end.

If this one ends up being buggy,.. then wow.

Anyway, I've been running it for 5 days now without a hitch. Be aware that many are complaining that the 5D3 no longer plays well with a lot of 3rd party batteries.
This is a downside, but not a bug, as I am sure it was intentional.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 30, 2013 11:34 |  #6

David Arbogast wrote in post #15882807 (external link)
I installed the 1.2.1 firmware update on Saturday (it was leaked on Friday) and have had no problems. AF works great with 100-400mm = 1.4x III extender. I think this is the first firmware release for any product that I can recall making a significant improvement. I'm very happy to be able to shoot at 560mm now.

It's too bad the 5D III couldn't have these features right out of the gate, but it's really nice to get an upgrade a year later.

7D's last update offered stellar useability upgrades. Didn't one of the Rebel updates introduce spot metering?

This looks like it might be the norm from here on out - Canon will release a product, possibly crippled, and refresh it later with significant updates that make us all ecstatic.

The next update will give 5D III owners always lit AF points and we will swoon on queue. (Canon did say it might not be possible on the 5D III, as it was on the 1D X, but this will make them appear all the more heroic when they solve the "problem." :) )

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,717 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 30, 2013 13:27 |  #7

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #15882885 (external link)
7D's last update offered stellar useability upgrades. Didn't one of the Rebel updates introduce spot metering?

This looks like it might be the norm from here on out - Canon will release a product, possibly crippled, and refresh it later with significant updates that make us all ecstatic.

The next update will give 5D III owners always lit AF points and we will swoon on queue. (Canon did say it might not be possible on the 5D III, as it was on the 1D X, but this will make them appear all the more heroic when they solve the "problem." :) )

Interesting...I don't own those other Canon products, but I recall that you're quite right about that 7D upgrade. Now that you mention it, it sure does appear to be a standard Canon practice. I'm not sure what I think about it. Annoying on the one hand, but I do actually really appreciate this update on the other.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15882826 (external link)
Be aware that many are complaining that the 5D3 no longer plays well with a lot of 3rd party batteries.
This is a downside, but not a bug, as I am sure it was intentional.

Yeah, that was an interesting surprise...getting a warning message about non-Canon batteries. My non-Canon batteries still work just fine regardless.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 30, 2013 19:44 |  #8

are the two highlights "update" features really the only things effected?

hdmi and cross type af

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 01, 2013 00:03 |  #9

Dj R wrote in post #15884699 (external link)
are the two highlights "update" features really the only things effected?

hdmi and cross type af

Here's everything affected:

1. Uncompressed HDMI output is now enabled.
  2. Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with Canon EF lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8.
  3. Improves the speed of the camera’s acquisition of focus when using a Canon Speedlite’s AF-assist beam.
  4. Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may freeze and display Err 70 or Err 80 when a still photo is taken during Live View or in movie shooting mode.
  5. Fixes a phenomenon that may occur when the continuous shooting priority setting is enabled for multiple exposures, such that, after the sixth image is taken, there is a slight pause before the remainder of the sequence is completed.
  6. Fixes a phenomenon in which the viewfinder display shows incorrect information during AEB shooting.
  7. Communication with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter has been improved.
  8. When images have been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an “O” will be displayed. When images have not been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an “X” will be displayed.
  9. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera may not function properly when an Eye-Fi card is used.
  10. Fixes a phenomenon in which the focal length value listed in the Exif information is not displayed correctly for images shot with the EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM lens.
  11. Fixes a phenomenon in which the lens firmware cannot be updated properly.
  12. Corrects errors in the Arabic language menu.
  13. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera changes the AF microadjustment value to -8.
  14. Fixes a phenomenon in which the on-screen guidance cannot be fully displayed when setting the maximum limit value for the “Setting the ISO Speed Range for Auto ISO” option.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

sponsored links

1,581 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D mark III firmware relesed update
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.