Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 03:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

thinking of making the jump to studio lights

oROSSo
268 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 24, 2013 03:44 |  #1

I'm thinking about getting a Lencarta ultrapro 600 for studio portraits etc. I'm not sure if you have Lencarta is the US though.

One thing I'm struggling with is what battery would be compatible with these lights if I wanted to take them outside? I've seen a few batteries but they're incredibly expensive which I'm guessing are for pro shoots lasting several hours. I'm only an amateur and only need a battery that would last an hour or so of shooting.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

A7R / 85mm f1.8 / 50mm f1.4 / TS-E 24mm f3.5L ii
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,162 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 24, 2013 09:39 |  #2

I don't have studio lights because I don't have the space for a permanent set up. If I did and wanted to be mobile I'd have a look at the PCB vagabond mini as a portable power source. A lot of people have very good things to say about that product.

Not sure what you consider expensive. This seams reasonable to me.

http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/vm120.php (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

oROSSo
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 24, 2013 09:46 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #3

Something that price would be ideal. Some of the bowens units were over £1000, thats what i'd call expensive.

Flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,162 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 24, 2013 09:55 |  #4

Agreed. I was just not sure as pricing is different to everyone. A good product based on what I have read. Hard to drain them during a shoot so you have power for a long time. Will there be any issues with power in the UK. Your standard is 230 volt (I think)? Vagabond is 120. What are the Lencartas?

Image Editing OK

oROSSo
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 24, 2013 10:10 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #5

yer we're 230V over here, which is what the lancarta's are.

Flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,162 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 24, 2013 10:14 |  #6

Inverter?

Image Editing OK

jlt23
443 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 24, 2013 10:18 |  #7

They have a 230V version. http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/vm120-230v.php (external link)

James

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,162 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 24, 2013 10:35 |  #8

There you go.

Image Editing OK

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 24, 2013 12:29 |  #9

Problem is if the PCB lights break or you have problems it's a long way to ship back for repair..

I'd buy Elinchrom, Calumet, Bowens or a brand that has UK dealers and possibly a service center within. Almost every quality brand has various kits comparable to what every other brand sells now days. I would think it would cost a hell of a great deal more to buy PCB simply because of the shipping to the UK.

inkista
658 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 24, 2013 16:21 as a reply to  @ isoMorphic's post |  #10

The prices are substantially higher for PCB gear in the UK, from the European distributor. An Einstein E640 is £599 (external link) (US$914 at today's exchange rate), and a Vagabond Mini is £299 (external link) (US$456).

Here's why the prices are so much higher: http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/faq.php#internation​al (external link)

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 24, 2013 17:48 |  #11

Ross: Have you looked at the Quantuum R+ 600Ws dual power unit?
Two links for you (same vendor, different target markets) :-
http://www.ebay.co.uk …n_212&hash=item​2a12895787 (external link) - priced in Zloty (about 21p)
or
http://www.ebay.co.uk …in_77&hash=item​5aec175689 (external link) - priced in Euros (about 85p)

You'll have to translate from either Polish or German to read the blurb! Notice the price difference (and then notice again the PayPal conversion rate, very beneficial ...... to PayPal). You also get to play the interesting Exchange Rate game; which can occasionally work out to your advantage.

These are basically rebadged Mettle units, which several folks here are using successfully. But then again, the Lencarta are rebadged (and tweaked, they insist [no personal knowledge of this]) Jinbei with the exception of their forthcoming Ultra-fast duo which are Godox.

Salient features, perhaps not readily apparent in translation:

• NO import duty or VAT because they're already in the EU.
  • TWO years warranty as required by EU law.
  • Reliable reseller - I've dealt with Hubert several times and he's quick and accurate.
  • Bowens-mount accessories - the most readily available mount worldwide (aka the most copied!)
The rest of the research I shall leave to you!

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

oROSSo
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 25, 2013 04:13 |  #12

thanks for all the info. Bowens actually do a travel pack and battery for £500. Its a little more than I wanted to spend but not TOO bad. I might dip my toe in studio lighting by buying a head and using it indoor, while continuing to use my speedlights outside until funds are available for the travelpack

Thank you all for you help and suggestions.

Flickr (external link)

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 30, 2013 13:17 |  #13

Hi
Did you manage to get sorted. I have smart flash 200's, they have had little use.

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |​

sponsored links

1,886 views & 0 likes for this thread
thinking of making the jump to studio lights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.