Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 28 Apr 2013 (Sunday) 21:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Jessica & Hanna {2014 Senior Reps}

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,368 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 30, 2013 14:55 |  #16

Hey Lisa, I tried to pm you with a question, but you don't accept PMs nor e-mail ;-( I will be photographing an African/American girl who will be wearing a bright hot pink prom dress; the contrast is very high between her face and the dress, what do you recommend to properly lit her face wothout blown out the dress detail? I thought of a small reflector just to the face or using a snoot, but I fear that the snoot light may be too harsh.

sponsored links
LisaJH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 30, 2013 17:31 |  #17

I would use a white reflector to kick a little more light onto her face, and make sure you are shooting RAW...it will give you a LOT more leeway to recover areas that might suffer because of the high contrast. :)

~Mom of 11 and Professional Photographer~
5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 30, 2013 17:33 |  #18

HOLY SMOKES!!! Sorry, excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor. Amazing shots!

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,368 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 30, 2013 17:44 |  #19

LisaJH wrote in post #15884264 (external link)
I would use a white reflector to kick a little more light onto her face, and make sure you are shooting RAW...it will give you a LOT more leeway to recover areas that might suffer because of the high contrast. :)

I hate RAW ;-( But I may have to try it and learn how to manage them better in LR3 that I have but rarely used. Thanks for the advice, Lisa.

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 30, 2013 17:46 |  #20

Buckeye1 wrote in post #15884299 (external link)
I hate RAW ;-( But I may have to try it and learn how to manage them better in LR3 that I have but rarely used. Thanks for the advice, Lisa.

Why do you hate RAW?

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,368 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 30, 2013 17:49 as a reply to  @ JeremyKPhoto's post |  #21

Because I am limited as far as my knowledge of how to manage them in LR. I tried to always capture them correctly in JPEG so less time in LR...time is money ;-)a

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 30, 2013 18:00 |  #22

Buckeye1 wrote in post #15884324 (external link)
time is money ;-)a

So are great results.

:cool:

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,662 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 30, 2013 18:16 |  #23

Sorry to bunny trail, but I too feared RAW until the past 2 weeks. I'm fairly new to the Digital realm and LR4. I simply imported the RAW files, and made adjustments just like when I shot JPEGS. I was able to select WB as either "As Shot" "Auto" or "Tungsten" or whatever looked best. My High School daughter is helping to remind me of the drop down drop up and drop sideways menus in LR. When all done, just select and Export as JPEG. it is simplier than I thought it would be. The main problem I had in JPEG, was dark facial shadows in concert shots would look like dirt in their faces! Never happens in RAW. It is working out much nicer and I am so much quicker now. All in a few days. The "Previous" button was a nice surprise. I'm not doing any Presets during Import, not yet.

BTW, very nice images. I dropped by to study up on Senior Portraits as my daughter wants me to do hers. Great relationship builder we've found in photography. Thank you for what you've posted up! :)

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

LisaJH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 30, 2013 18:31 |  #24

RAW is SO much easier than jpeg. I was a stubborn jpeg shooter myself up until about 3 years ago. The only regret I have is that it took me that long to make the switch. Fixing things like white balance/color tint, exposure, noise removal, etc etc are SO simple in raw. I use LR4...it's really just a bunch of sliders. You start at the top and work your way down. I don't touch most of them. Once you get the hang of it, you can whip through your raw edits in seconds. The option of using adjustment brushes in LR is a huge bonus too. I can go in there and fix color casts, selectively change exposure on certain areas, add saturation, etc etc. I could go on and on about the benefits. Since I'm on a soap box now, here is a before & after from a recent 'Sweet 16' shoot I did that not many photogs are going to show you, because who likes admitting that they totally flubbed their settings? I KNOW this happens to everyone though. We had just switched locations and I fired off 5 or 6 shots (forgot to adjust my settings), quickly realized my error and fixed it, but of course, my *favorite* from the series was one of the first ones before I realized my exposure error. Thankfully, RAW is very forgiving and this turned out to be a beautiful image. Fixing the exposure mishap literally took seconds in LR4. If this had been a jpeg, I would have been forced to trash it. :)

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8113/8675838018_dd6a911b40_o.png

5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,368 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 30, 2013 18:36 |  #25

LisaJH wrote in post #15884446 (external link)
RAW is SO much easier than jpeg. I was a stubborn jpeg shooter myself up until about 3 years ago. The only regret I have is that it took me that long to make the switch. Fixing things like white balance/color tint, exposure, noise removal, etc etc are SO simple in raw. I use LR4...it's really just a bunch of sliders. You start at the top and work your way down. I don't touch most of them. Once you get the hang of it, you can whip through your raw edits in seconds. The option of using adjustment brushes in LR is a huge bonus too. I can go in there and fix color casts, selectively change exposure on certain areas, add saturation, etc etc. I could go on and on about the benefits. Since I'm on a soap box now, here is a before & after from a recent 'Sweet 16' shoot I did that not many photogs are going to show you, because who likes admitting that they totally flubbed their settings? I KNOW this happens to everyone though. We had just switched locations and I fired off 5 or 6 shots (forgot to adjust my settings), quickly realized my error and fixed it, but of course, my *favorite* from the series was one of the first ones before I realized my exposure error. Thankfully, RAW is very forgiving and this turned out to be a beautiful image. Fixing the exposure mishap literally took seconds in LR4. If this had been a jpeg, I would have been forced to trash it. :)

QUOTED IMAGE

I am sold :p I am going to get a good book - raw conversion for dummies :D and dive in soon....and thanks for being honest about our flaws.

CaptainSteve
337 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 30, 2013 19:24 |  #26

They all look Great Lisa! (per usual) :)

1DX | 5D III | 7D | 50D | 40D | 100-400 II L | 70-200L f2.8 IS | 16-35L II | 24-105L | Sigma 30 f1.4
My Portfolio
http://captainstevepho​tography.zenfolio.com/ (external link)
http://captainstevepho​tography.com/ (external link)

Dano_nav
Goldmember
1,539 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 30, 2013 20:13 |  #27

Lisa, really like your work. Top notch. Just a nit, the OOF bushes in the foreground I think detract from the image quality in images 1,2 and 4. Seems like the eye is drawn to that area and away from the subject. JMHO.

LisaJH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 30, 2013 20:45 |  #28

Thanks guys! RE the OOF bushes...I shot through them purposefully on those...I like it but I realize not everyone is going to have the same 'likes' I do. :D

swampler
879 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 30, 2013 22:05 |  #29

Buckeye1 wrote in post #15884299 (external link)

The great thing about LR is that you edit your RAW files and JPEG files in exactly the same way. You have the same sliders, etc, so if you can edit in JPEG, you can edit in RAW. The difference comes in white balance (easier to correct and more options) and the amount of adjustment head room you have.

Steve

chris ­ panas
737 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Apr 2011

May 01, 2013 04:09 |  #30

Great job, love the location and processing on these, good work with light, very nice style with clothing, make up and hair. Congrats!

Portfolio (external link)|Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,574 views & 0 likes for this thread
Jessica & Hanna {2014 Senior Reps}
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.