Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 May 2013 (Wednesday) 03:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

impact or manfrotto light stands?

nathan549
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 01, 2013 03:21 |  #1

im looking for a light stand yo use with speedlights at the moment and soon a profoto d1.
i was looking between manfrotto and impact light stands.

here are the two models i was tossing up between!

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ned_Heavy_Duty_​Light.html (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …AC_Alu_Air_Cush​ioned.html (external link)

which one would be better for monolights?

Canon 60D - 24-70mm 2.8 L II - 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II - Speedlight 600 ex-rt - Broncolor Move 1200L pack + A2L pack + MobiLED flash head

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 01, 2013 04:45 |  #2

What's a toss-up between those two stands? They aren't even the same height.

What do you intend to use the stand(s) for? What sort of "studio" do you intend to use? What type(s) and size(s) of light modifier(s) do you intend to use?

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

nathan549
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 01, 2013 06:27 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #3

yes i know they aren't the same height but both heights i can work with so im not concerned about that at the moment. Im more concerned about which one will hold up more for outdoor on location shoots. The main light modifiers would be umbrellas and beauty dishes of various sizes depending on what im going for on that particular shoot.

I am basically just wanting to know which one will hold up overall better in the long run!

Canon 60D - 24-70mm 2.8 L II - 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II - Speedlight 600 ex-rt - Broncolor Move 1200L pack + A2L pack + MobiLED flash head

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

May 01, 2013 06:53 |  #4

I have both the Manfrotto and the Impact air-cushioned stands and they're both comparable in build for the aluminum ones. If you want something that'll stand up to abuse for outdoor use, get a chrome steel stand. They are a bit heavier, though, than the aluminum stands.

...Leo

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 01, 2013 07:21 |  #5

nathan549 wrote in post #15885988 (external link)
yes i know they aren't the same height but both heights i can work with so im not concerned about that at the moment. Im more concerned about which one will hold up more for outdoor on location shoots. The main light modifiers would be umbrellas and beauty dishes of various sizes depending on what im going for on that particular shoot.

I am basically just wanting to know which one will hold up overall better in the long run!

If you want to use light stands outdoors, I'd recommend HEAVY DUTY stands that can tolerate 30 or 40 pounds of sandbags on the bottom to keep them upright. Mother Nature has a strong affinity to blowing light stands over and, unless you do something about that, you will find your equipment being broken over time.

I also suggest that most of your stands be 10-ft or larger. The reason is simple. They will be sturdier than the short ones. I use one very short stand for lighting backgrounds, but all the rest of mine are 10-ft or 13-ft heavy duty aluminum stands.

I agree with the comment above about steel stands if outdoor work is the primary purpose for the stands.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 01, 2013 07:35 |  #6

C stands are best for outdoor work with lots of sand bags.
I have and use lots of Calumet stands, essentially the same as Manfrotto but less expensive.

Key is large base diameter, which equates to taller stand.

Also, if the wind is much over 3 or 4 Mph, larger modifiers are going to be problematic.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links

1,153 views & 0 likes for this thread
impact or manfrotto light stands?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.