Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Apr 2013 (Monday) 08:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Member, New to DSLR's

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 30, 2013 14:13 |  #16

To keep the recommended books ball rolling, I would also suggest "Light - Science and magic: An introduction to photographic lighting", it's more complex reading, but will give you a much better understanding of how different surfaces react to light.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

sponsored links
guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 30, 2013 14:37 |  #17

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #15883499 (external link)
To keep the recommended books ball rolling, I would also suggest "Light - Science and magic: An introduction to photographic lighting", it's more complex reading, but will give you a much better understanding of how different surfaces react to light.

I have that book, and it is quite good. However, I would not suggest a novice get that book just yet.

I always recommend Understanding Exposure because it seems to me to be perfectly fitted to the "new to photography" reader. It was like that for me years ago, and it made everything so simple and easy to understand. Plus all the pictures & how he set up his camera to get that shot was very useful.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 30, 2013 15:26 |  #18

Well, "novice" is a complex notion as things tend to click with people differently, but certainly L:SM can only be comprehended after reading some primers first. Mentioned it just for completions sake.

Never the less, light and lighting is the most important thing there is, because long after you know everything that happens from the time photons enter the lens to the final print, you will never stop learning about new ways to light stuff.

Other print to consider are photography art books, preferably a few by some of the old masters of the 19th/early 20th century, there are some really great works to be seen, and all done with hardware vastly more limited what what we have now. Find some photographers who's work you like and study/try to imitate their style, you can only learn by doing. Books, online tutorials, classes, all those things can only teach you technique, but no one can teach you how to see. The very least you could do is study composition in art because it's highly applicable to real world photography.

And never hesitate to take a shot, when you see a good opportunity for one, your worst photos are the ones you didn't take.

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Foggiest
584 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 30, 2013 16:04 |  #19

Much has been covered so well , I can offer little ....

Learn the basics , IE the exposure triangle (shutter speed , aperture , ISO setting) .
Once you get that bit (may have already) , then you know how you want the camera to behave from your minds eye (if you will) , (fast action frozen wildlife/sports , slow to express (e?)motion , deep or shallow depth of field..etc)

Budget always is considered , so in that respect , the 55-250 is a bargain...flat out bargain (all things considered)

Oh , are any of those teleconverters an off shade of white ? :P (as always , research what you got , some gems to be found that are worth money)

daneinter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 01, 2013 03:47 as a reply to  @ post 15883443 |  #20

Kolor-Pikker, your advice is much appreciated and I have learnt a lot in a small space of time. You do sound weary of Forums though and I know exactly what you mean.

What you need to understand is that most (if not all) Forums have amongst their members some very damaged people. It's my experience that along side the good people who offer sound and practical advice in a courteous way (especially to newbies) lurk the people who almost live their lives through that medium. Very sad, often very angry and definately damaged. I am sure that there is so much material there someone could write a Phd just by reading and observing the forums. I,m sure you know that anyway but all I want is to be treated with the same courtesy that I offer. A splash of humour goes down well also!

You have led me down some paths that are useful and told me to avoid some other paths (I looked anyway, it,s almost irresistable!!) and I thank you for that,

Getting back to the subject in mind I can see very clearly that the lens I have (a standard canon 18.55) will not really keep me interested for too much longer. OK I need to understand a lot more about exposure, composition and the minutia of other items such as white balance, F stop and editing but I can see the limitations of the 18.55. The pockets are empty(ish) though and I would appreciate very much if someone could see where I am now and advise a reasonably priced next lens that will give me something I need

I looked at the 14mm pancake and it seems a great price but would it take me to the next step. Any ideas anyone??

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 01, 2013 05:13 |  #21

You should really stick to prime lenses if you're on the cheap, most good ones are under $500.
EF 28mm f/1.8 - $340 with discount at B&H
EF 35mm f/2.0 - $320
EF 50mm f/1.4 - $310 with discount at B&H
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - $500
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 - $450
EF 100mm f/2.0 - $450

These are really bottom of the barrel prices, if you actually want to make the most of your camera, the only way to go cheaper would be to give up autofocus and use manual-focus lenses; but that would be a nightmare to use on the 400D. The 14mm is an exception because there is nothing that's out of focus with that lens, set it to around f/4 and focus it out to 2~4 meters using the scale, and everything from close up to infinity will be sharp. Focusing lenses wider than 20mm is often best done with the scale, so you'll want to read up on "hyperfocal distance", an article on the subject is available at the Cambridge site I linked you to earlier.

Personally, I'd go for the Sigma 30mm as it's a standard lens on the 400D, and it's quite better than the Canon 28mm. It can't be used on full-fame cameras, but that might not matter to you, as FF cameras still cost $2000 for the cheapest ones, unless you pick up a used 5D classic.

Do not think that a single focal length is in any way limiting, instead it often forces you not to be lazy and find creative ways to photograph things, instead of just zooming the lens. My 85mm stays on the camera 90% of the time, and I don't feel like there's anything I can't shoot with it, though it could just be related to my preferred subject matter (people) and when need be, I break out the zoom.

I only use wide angles 2% of the time, but that's just me, some people can't live without 'em. YMMV.

Dannybegood
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 01, 2013 06:27 |  #22

Dan, if you still cant get DPP etc, Pm your address and I will send you the disk a nice member on here did for me, it is for the AUS region for a MK3 but it works great after you update it to your region and camera of course.

Danny,
60D,24-105 f4L,70-200 f4L,100 2.8f MACRO, Nifty Fifty, Σ120-400/20-40EX, 430 ex ii
Flikr (external link)

Craign
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 01, 2013 08:17 |  #23

I looked through the entire thread and did not see this link, sorry if it has been posted earlier. https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=414088

Great info and even better than some books. It's on here and it is free!

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

daneinter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 02, 2013 02:07 as a reply to  @ post 15883443 |  #24

Good Morning everyone, spring is finally here I think and I think I will go searching for some interesting subjects to Photograph. I wont be posting them just yet though as there is still a long way to go but I feel exited with this new venture.

Someone has offered me a lens for £15 and I wondered what you think. Its a CANON EF 28-80mm Zoom LENS in good condition, no marks or mould, its just a lens her husband had and hes now gone so could be a bargain. its a genuine canon, Any Thoughts. Apparantly its the short version about 3.5 inches long.I would appreciate your comments

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,910 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 02, 2013 06:00 |  #25

daneinter wrote in post #15889344 (external link)
Someone has offered me a lens for £15 and I wondered what you think. Its a CANON EF 28-80mm Zoom LENS in good condition, no marks or mould, its just a lens her husband had and hes now gone so could be a bargain. its a genuine canon, Any Thoughts. Apparantly its the short version about 3.5 inches long.I would appreciate your comments

That was the standard "kit zoom" lens for the old 35mm Film SLR's. Due to the difference in the size of the film compared to the digital sensor in your DSLR it has almost identical fields of view on 35mm film/Full Frame DSLR camera as your 18-55. It is of similar quality to the lens that you already have. However it actually has a good range of focal lengths for portrait work on your 400D. At £15 it is not a bad buy so go for it. I would though make sure that if it has a "UV" filter you remove it. DSLR's unlike film have built in UV filters, so about the only thing the filter will do is add an extra layer of glass, which at best does nothing, but in all probability degrades the image quality to some extent.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Foggiest
584 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 02, 2013 06:36 |  #26

daneinter wrote in post #15889344 (external link)
Good Morning everyone, spring is finally here I think and I think I will go searching for some interesting subjects to Photograph.

Yes , it is actually sunny here in Manchester !
I too am hoping to go out onto the moors with camera .

Lets hope for some luck for us both ! :)

sponsored links

2,009 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Member, New to DSLR's
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.