Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Mar 2013 (Tuesday) 10:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchroms flash once, then no more

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 12, 2013 10:03 |  #1

Just got a set of 600RX strobes. Upon unboxing I tested them and they performed normally. I got my daughter all dressed up and and ready to take some portraits, I went to set my exposure with my flash meter, clicked the test button on the skyport transmitter, my main light popped, and would not pop again. I tried replacing the receiver with a different unit, and same results. One pop, and then that was it.... no more. Am I setting my strobe wrong or something? This seems highly unusual. I tried with the modeling off.. on... no diffference. Each time I take out the receiver and re-plug, I get one flash, and then no more. I hope I don't have a faulty unit.

Thanks guys for any insight.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 12, 2013 10:18 |  #2

Are all your 600RX strobes behaving the same way or is it just one of them doing that?

...Leo

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 12, 2013 10:37 |  #3

Just tested:

Main light + skyports: 1 pop, none afterwards
secondary light + skyports: constant flashes, no problems
Main light + pc sync chord: constant flashes, no problems

Such odd behaviour. I thought I've seen it all when it comes to strobes not firing. I was mainly wondering if somebody has seen this before. Looks like I'm giving Elinchrom a call? Or would I call B&H? Ordered about a month ago...

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 12, 2013 11:30 |  #4

I re-read my last post and realized I had just trouble shooted my own problem

Number one, it seems that the provided skyport receiver unit is defective by some capacity (circuitry most likely)

Number two, I previously purchased 4 skyport receiver units (for speedlights). Since I already diagnosed the PC sync port on the 600RX to be functional, I simply plugged one of my previously purchased sky port recievers into the pc sync port and I'm back in business.

Considering I would have had to ship the entire kit out would have been an unwanted expense. I'm not keen on the idea that an aspect of my strobe is defective and it gives me a lessened sense of security about my investment. But for now, I've managed to find a work-around which means I don't have to stress about an RMA.

What would you guys do? Would you insist on getting a 100% functional strobe again or just settle with the workaround solution?

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 12, 2013 11:40 |  #5

Pearlallica wrote in post #15706558 (external link)
I re-read my last post and realized I had just trouble shooted my own problem

Number one, it seems that the provided skyport receiver unit is defective by some capacity (circuitry most likely)

Number two, I previously purchased 4 skyport receiver units (for speedlights). Since I already diagnosed the PC sync port on the 600RX to be functional, I simply plugged one of my previously purchased sky port recievers into the pc sync port and I'm back in business.

Considering I would have had to ship the entire kit out would have been an unwanted expense. I'm not keen on the idea that an aspect of my strobe is defective and it gives me a lessened sense of security about my investment. But for now, I've managed to find a work-around which means I don't have to stress about an RMA.

What would you guys do? Would you insist on getting a 100% functional strobe again or just settle with the workaround solution?

So, is it the strobe that's defective or is it the Skyport RX transceiver? Swapping strobes and transceivers should easily determine which it is.

...Leo

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 12, 2013 12:17 |  #6

Both of the kit skyport RX receivers are fully functional (as discovered by my secondary RX strobe)

I have two skyport tranceivers and they both have green lights and function normally under various tests.

The main strobe does not function only under the following condition:
• Plug kit RX receiver into strobe. Press "test" button on transceiver. Unit successfully flashes. Press "test" again. Unit does not flash....ever.... never.
• Un-plug kit RX receiver, re-plug, get the same results. One flash. Then nothing else afterwards.

When I take out the kit RX receiver and instead plug my previously purchased EL-skyport receiver into the PC sync port, the flash will function normally. I've isolated the problem to the RX receiver port exclusively. That is what makes this issue so bizarre. Like I said, sounds like glitchy circuitry.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 12, 2013 14:16 |  #7

Pearlallica wrote in post #15706713 (external link)
Both of the kit skyport RX receivers are fully functional (as discovered by my secondary RX strobe)

I have two skyport tranceivers and they both have green lights and function normally under various tests.

The main strobe does not function only under the following condition:
• Plug kit RX receiver into strobe. Press "test" button on transceiver. Unit successfully flashes. Press "test" again. Unit does not flash....ever.... never.
• Un-plug kit RX receiver, re-plug, get the same results. One flash. Then nothing else afterwards.

When I take out the kit RX receiver and instead plug my previously purchased EL-skyport receiver into the PC sync port, the flash will function normally. I've isolated the problem to the RX receiver port exclusively. That is what makes this issue so bizarre. Like I said, sounds like glitchy circuitry.

Ah, I see. So it's the remote transceiver port on the strobe that seems to be bad. That's weird that it would trigger once and then not again until you unplug the transceiver and then plug it back in again. This is the first time I've ever heard of such a problem. And it does with both of your transceivers, right?

Although triggering with the Universal Skyport receiver is working for you fine for triggering the strobe, it doesn't allow you to remotely adjust the strobe power level or the modeling light intensity like the RX Skyport transceiver does. Hopefully you can get the strobe repaired while it's still under warranty unless you think you'll never use that functionality.

...Leo

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 12, 2013 14:36 |  #8

PacAce wrote in post #15707115 (external link)
Ah, I see. So it's the remote transceiver port on the strobe that seems to be bad. That's weird that it would trigger once and then not again until you unplug the transceiver and then plug it back in again. This is the first time I've ever heard of such a problem. And it does with both of your transceivers, right?

Yes, this very odd behaviour is noticeable with both RX transceivers.

PacAce wrote in post #15707115 (external link)
Although triggering with the Universal Skyport receiver is working for you fine for triggering the strobe, it doesn't allow you to remotely adjust the strobe power level or the modeling light intensity like the RX Skyport transceiver does. Hopefully you can get the strobe repaired while it's still under warranty unless you think you'll never use that functionality.

Ah yes, the RX remote power control feature. I failed to factor that into my decision.

B&H has a 15 day return policy which means I waited too long to test and detect this issue. Elinchrom being overseas would probably be a hefty repair/shipping fee. Hmm, looks like I'll just have to change power manually. I plan on buying more strobes down the road (RX1200 x2) so it's not the end of the world.

Thanks, Leo, for taking the time to share your voice in this problem. I really appreciate it.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 12, 2013 21:18 |  #9

Pearlallica wrote in post #15707183 (external link)
Yes, this very odd behaviour is noticeable with both RX transceivers.

Ah yes, the RX remote power control feature. I failed to factor that into my decision.

B&H has a 15 day return policy which means I waited too long to test and detect this issue. Elinchrom being overseas would probably be a hefty repair/shipping fee. Hmm, looks like I'll just have to change power manually. I plan on buying more strobes down the road (RX1200 x2) so it's not the end of the world.

Thanks, Leo, for taking the time to share your voice in this problem. I really appreciate it.

Where are you located? Some place in North America? If so, you can send your strobe in for servicing without it leaving the US or Canada.

...Leo

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 13, 2013 11:17 |  #10

Well, that is peace of mind. I live in Canada, and domestic shipping would be very feasible. I emailed Elinchrom last night and I'm eager to hear back from them. It was a little awkward trying to describe the problem because of the very specific nature of the flash behaviour.

I also learned that prior to triggering a remote flash, the remote power adjustment feature works fine. Once the first flash is fired, all communication between the trigger and the receiver is stopped. No more flashes can be made, and no power adustments can be made. That is, as I said, unless the receiver is unplugged and then re-plugged back into the strobe.

A little frustrating since, out of the box, that one strobe worked fine for about 50 or so flashes prior.

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 01, 2013 08:24 |  #11

just an update to put this thread to an end.

servicing was done at manfrotto distrobutions (external link) in the US. Shipping from and Canada and vice versa was a hundred dollars total.

The flash was flawed in that the "control PCB" and "keyboard PCB" was replaced.

While I'm sure this problem was extremely rare, at least I've been able to document it here on POTN for any future elinchrom users that run into a similar problem.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

May 01, 2013 09:40 |  #12

Pearlallica wrote in post #15886207 (external link)
just an update to put this thread to an end.

servicing was done at manfrotto distrobutions (external link) in the US. Shipping from and Canada and vice versa was a hundred dollars total.

The flash was flawed in that the "control PCB" and "keyboard PCB" was replaced.

While I'm sure this problem was extremely rare, at least I've been able to document it here on POTN for any future elinchrom users that run into a similar problem.

Too bad about the shipping charges but I'm glad to hear that the problem has been fixed.
Thanks for the update.

...Leo

sponsored links

1,611 views & 0 likes for this thread
Elinchroms flash once, then no more
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.