Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Apr 2013 (Monday) 22:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a new version of canons 70-300mm L lens update

Simpleboy
197 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 01, 2013 02:07 |  #16

marvthecat wrote in post #15881266 (external link)
I think you have to understand where I am coming from. Until last week I had little knowledge of the Canon 70-300 L lens. I am also very analytical. While doing my research I found that this lens was introduced by canon in Aug of 2010, date now is Apr. 2013.

Yes, those dates are correct.

When I read the (April, 2013) overview copy on canon's and others web sites I see "the new canon EF......." and then read "improved image quality " and "a newly developed Fluorine coating". I question what they mean by "NEW". I question when I actually have the lens in my hands and find that the colour is light gray and not “gleaming white” as stated and confirmed by the sales people I talked to. I have been to to 3 different dealers. One dealer had a glass top display with all the” L” lenses lined up in a row The 70-300 mm lens was even a different colour than the rest of the other L lenses. Again confirmed by the salesperson. I also googled "photos of a canon 70-300 L and found lenses that are light beige, light gray. cameo and mostly white colour. So WTF?

When they say new they mean it was an updated version of an old design (in this case the non L version). While we're on the subject of whats new, America is referred to some as the New World. Its way older than 3 years last time i checked! That being said, if someone built a spitfire right now, with the exact original design, I'd still call that a/c new!
As for white, It's been a long time since I've seen one so I'm not going to comment on that, but I will say when i was about 10 we repainted our house, and i there are more shades of white than i could possibly count! I couldn't understand why my mum took so long to pick a shade of white! perhaps gleaming white is the name for this particular shade of white?

I have talked to and emailed other dealers in the US and Canada and canon reps in both countries and posted to other forums without satisfactory results. I have received many confusing and irrelevant responses but with the main consensus I have gotten is I just should ignore the overview. A gain WTF?

Probably because you are being so pedantic and unclear that they have no idea what your issue is?

So it is now obvious that canon’s overview copy is not only out of date and it also seems that it was created using canon’s own self made version of a dictionary (eg. gleaming white now means light gray) it is very misleading.

Out of date? Wheres the version that makes it out of date? In fact, while we're at it, Nikons 12-24 came out in August 2007! Canons 70-200f/4L IS came out in 2006! Good god they are practically dinosaurs! Why on earth would people buy them?!?!?!

It’s what my perception of what “NEW” means that matters. I want to make sure that I purchase the latest, up to date lens available to this date April, 2013.

Then have fun waiting 10+ years for an updated version!

As an aside, are you now, in 2013 older or newer than you were in 2010? Would a new 2010 car be actually new in 2013. If you want to buy a 2010 car would you not want a price reduction or even an up to date 2013 model?

Not really a valid comparison when cars get updated annually and lenses don't. But I'll play anyway, Cars that get replaced typically are cheaper than their replacements. If you haven't come across that, go to a different dealer......

Great stuff for a guy who wants to buy this lens and gather accurate information on the lens in April,2013 and hence the reason for the post. I have questions. Now the colour does not matter, Just don’t tell me one thing and I see another. I have great vision and I am not colour blind. Yes people, this lens was new in 2010 and yes you can say it is canon’s newest L lens but it is not ”new” today April 29, 2103.

OK, fine, don't buy what's an astonishing lens because 3 years later Canon havent removed the word "new" from their website.............

So to reiterate my question. Has canon created a new version or update of its 70-300mm L lens since Aug. 2010? Yes or no based on your present knowledge and perhaps a little info as to why you have answered the way you have.

No they have not because there would have been millions, if not billions) threads on why Canon are wasting our time updating a perfectly fine lens when there are older more in need of a refresher lenses out there.

As far as I can work out, the only lens you'd be happy with is the, er, I'm not sure, I cant recall one from this year!

archer1960
Goldmember
4,932 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 01, 2013 06:35 |  #17

Simpleboy wrote in post #15885726 (external link)
Yes, those dates are correct.

Out of date? Wheres the version that makes it out of date? In fact, while we're at it, Nikons 12-24 came out in August 2007! Canons 70-200f/4L IS came out in 2006! Good god they are practically dinosaurs! Why on earth would people buy them?!?!?!

And Canon's MPE came out more than 10 years ago, is still unique in its field, and considered the dream lens by most macro photographers.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 01, 2013 09:03 |  #18

archer1960 wrote in post #15885999 (external link)
And Canon's MPE came out more than 10 years ago, is still unique in its field, and considered the dream lens by most macro photographers.

The 100-400L was introduced 15 years ago. Although there are rumors of a new version coming out, rumors can exist 5 years before products hit the market. Nothing moves fast in the world of lens and 3 years is nothing. Bodies age, but lens just exist.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 01, 2013 09:13 |  #19

vengence wrote in post #15886347 (external link)
The 100-400L was introduced 15 years ago. Although there are rumors of a new version coming out, rumors can exist 5 years before products hit the market.

More than 5 years. Rumours of a replacement made me uncertain as to whether to buy a 100-400 or not, back in 2006!

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,932 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 01, 2013 10:37 |  #20

vengence wrote in post #15886347 (external link)
The 100-400L was introduced 15 years ago. Although there are rumors of a new version coming out, rumors can exist 5 years before products hit the market. Nothing moves fast in the world of lens and 3 years is nothing. Bodies age, but lens just exist.

bw!

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,287 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there a new version of canons 70-300mm L lens update
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.