Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 30 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 20:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pair of full frame or one ff, one crop?

goaliejake22
998 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 30, 2013 20:48 |  #1

Hello,
just looking for some opinions on this issue.

I have the option of either having 2 5d's or a 5d + 40d combo right now. I'm shooting portraits, engagements, and the occasional wedding.

Would you rather have the versatility of the ff/crop combo, or would you rather have a pair of 5ds for weddings (which may be the preferred IQ combo).

Obviously, if I kept the crop/ff, I could have a couple extra hundred to put towards lenses/etc.

Let me know what you think!
-Jake

Canon 5D3, Sigma 35 1.4, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 430 exii, yn- 560 ii, triggers

sponsored links
picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 30, 2013 23:22 |  #2

Put me in the crop camp. I would never want to walk into a wedding without the versatility of a crop body. Your options are far greater with both formats. Especially for receptions, I basically throw the FF cam in the bag and shoot exclusively with my 40d. 200mm on crop lets you stand MUCH further back and be more invisible. Actually, i shoot most of the day primarily on crop. I have found the image quality if the 40d to be superb, great enough that I have no image quality concerns whatsoever. I shoot right up to the iso 3200 ceiling without hesitation. Are newer FF bodies delivering better image quality? Well, yes, but to me it is just not actually offering anything extra that makes a practical difference. I don't get any less shots without FF, i don't make any extra print sales because of FF, and in fact, I can get shots from further away with my cropper than I wouldn't get with my FF setup. Its just more flexibility in your arsenal.

To br perfectly honest, if i HAD to choose between having two FF bodies or two crops, I would take the two crops. I just think FF is so overhyped and unnecessary. The only thing it gives you is 1.3 stops of less DOF, but if you actually want to get a photo with more than one person actually in focus, you want a little more dof, not less.

Not to mention, having shot weddings with a 40d and 5Dmk1 combo, the 40d autofocus performance stomps all over the 5D.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 01, 2013 00:37 |  #3

From your options, include the 40D. I don't like the 5D at all, it's slow, and images tend to have a magenta cast in direct sunlight.

I prefer to have two identical bodies so I don't have to worry about what lens is on which camera. I've chosen the D700s. I have shot with crop bodies, a lot, I find image quality and sharpness to be significantly superior with the full frame bodies over crop - but then I did change brands (mostly to get better AF), and sharpeness is more an issue for photographers than customers.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 01, 2013 00:53 |  #4

Both Lloyd and Tim make good points.

Pairing bodies helps tremendously as does the extra reach a crop gives you. I found both very advantageous so I do both. I have 2 5D MKIII's and a 60D.

The only drawback I can see going two crops in your case is shooting on the wide side of things. 24mm a crop would be quite limited at a wedding.

Peter

goaliejake22
THREAD ­ STARTER
998 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 01, 2013 01:02 |  #5

Thanks you three for the input; I really appreciate it!

I every once in a while get the idea to just go to a pair of 40ds, and switch out the 24-105 for a 17-55 2.8 IS. But something keeps me wanting to have one full frame body (it very well be many people's perceptions that keep me)

Canon 5D3, Sigma 35 1.4, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 430 exii, yn- 560 ii, triggers

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 01, 2013 01:05 |  #6

At the end of the day, how you shoot (your shooting style) will determine your needs.

e.g. I use my 60D with a 1.4x extender and 70-200 on it during the ceremony. If I didn't do that I probably wouldn't have it.

Peter

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 01, 2013 06:41 |  #7

I like having both crop and FF as it (kind of) doubles your lens selection. That said, when I'm shooting, I'm nearly always reaching for the one of the FFs.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

Zebedee123
240 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 01, 2013 06:45 |  #8

I'm going the other way - I use the 7D and the 5D2 but since getting the 5D2 there is just no comparison to image quality so I'm getting rid of the 7d and getting another 5D2

http://www.paulabeaumo​ntphotography.co.uk/ (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/paulabeaumontphotogr​aphy (external link)
Canon 5D Mk III II Canon 5D II II Sigma macro 105mm II Tamron 24-70mm 2.8f VC II Canon 70x200mm L F2.8 Mk II II Canon 50mm F1.8 II tripods, lots of bags, flashes strobes, pocket wizards and lots of other "stuff" II

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,940 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 01, 2013 07:26 |  #9

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #15885613 (external link)
Both Lloyd and Tim make good points.

Pairing bodies helps tremendously as does the extra reach a crop gives you. I found both very advantageous so I do both. I have 2 5D MKIII's and a 60D.

The only drawback I can see going two crops in your case is shooting on the wide side of things. 24mm a crop would be quite limited at a wedding.

Agreed

Advantages for both directions. We now have 3 5D3's. It made more sense for us to be all full frame. We have less glass to carry around,and it just make things easier when were both moving about to call out settings and hand off bodies to each other w/o switching glass all the time. Typical reception will have the 35L,50L and 24-70 on a body at all times and we switch the 85L on and Off for needs. Typical Ceremony, we will have the 120-300 , a 70-200 on the other and we switch with the 85L and a 35L or 16-35 for wide shots.

Regardless, the 3 primes, 35,50,& 85 are always on a body.

Just sold the 5D2... I am so spoiled with the 5D3 and its AF system that i just could not use the 5D2 anymore......The dual cards and security of having it was another major factor. A friend of mine bought a promaster card and shot a wedding with it.. lost all files,, card was defective right out of the box....he had a 5D2......Cant risk what i do,, so sold the 5D2

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 01, 2013 15:26 |  #10

i like the 17-55is and their really isn't an equivelant for full frame. there just isn't a canon 24-70 f2.8 with IS. so i like shooting with it on a crop camera and more fun lenses on a full frame body.
the 17-55/24-70 are generally boring standard perspective photos anyway, that I don't mind them being shot on a crop camera lol.
with that all said, i could probably get away without the IS and jump up to the 24-70 on a full frame and be OK.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

RangersForever
302 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 01, 2013 23:33 |  #11

I have 2 60D's that I use for weddings, engagements and other portrait shots. I love having 2 identical bodies so I don't get caught off guard with settings. If I were to go FF it would only be for the 5D3 and the cost of 2 5D3's is prohibitive at the moment.

Scotland Wedding Photographer (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 02, 2013 00:21 |  #12

bigarchi wrote in post #15887628 (external link)
i like the 17-55is and their really isn't an equivelant for full frame. there just isn't a canon 24-70 f2.8 with IS. so i like shooting with it on a crop camera and more fun lenses on a full frame body.
the 17-55/24-70 are generally boring standard perspective photos anyway, that I don't mind them being shot on a crop camera lol.
with that all said, i could probably get away without the IS and jump up to the 24-70 on a full frame and be OK.

I always said the same thing. I find with the 24-70 F2.8 (Nikon) I don't miss it. I use higher ISO, which works great, or one of my other stabilised lenses if I really really need one.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 02, 2013 00:27 |  #13

I love my 17-55 too much, so I cant go completely FF.
Tried hard, but cant get to love 10-22, so Im using FF for wide.
So now Im using crop and FF combination like "bigarchi", 17-55 on crop for everything, and wide (16-35) and fun lens on FF.

jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 02, 2013 09:15 |  #14

canondslr wrote in post #15889193 (external link)
I love my 17-55 too much, so I cant go completely FF.

First time it dies on you in a critical position you may start to change your mind, great quality images from that lens but its awful build quality and reliability!

Had 3 of them fail on me mid wedding before I ditched crops for full frame cameras, getting away from the horribly unreliable 17-55 f2.8 IS wasn't the only reason but it certainly helped push me in that direction!

When even the lens rental companies mention that this lens has a certain failure rate you know you should be worried. Based on other peoples experiences on here its not a question of if it will fail but more likely when it will fail!

Wedding Portfolio Website (external link) | Wedding Photographer Blog (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 02, 2013 10:05 |  #15

Though the 17-55 is one of my most favourite lenses with superb optical performance, it is rather fragile. I've owned four of them. I was going through one a year until i finally turned IS off and only turned it on when I truly needed it. Now this will be the fourth season for my current copy, and its still working like a charm.

Hated the 24-70 (had SEVEN copies of that lens) but am definitely interested in the mk2. I use the 24-105, which is a winner if a lens, but the 17-55 is still my primary gen purpose zoom.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

6,029 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pair of full frame or one ff, one crop?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.