Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Feb 2011 (Sunday) 00:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I wish digital didn't replace film.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,856 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

May 01, 2013 17:14 |  #181

TooManyShots wrote in post #15887985 (external link)
Don't get me started. I just came from a heated discussion between 35mm format versus medium format in FILM. :rolleyes: The general argument is that 35mm is superior because it is faster and you can shoot more "people." Not just flowers, rocks, and buildings. The equivalent would be like people dumbing down full frame over 1.6x crop factor body.

I mean they all have a place and are different tools for different jobs. Faster doesn't always equate to better and I know some Blad shooters that can shoot faster and better than 90% of everyone else out there. Nothing like a BLad in my opinion especially for portraits. Just love that square format. Its not so good on the street.

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

May 01, 2013 17:20 |  #182

Luckless wrote in post #15887991 (external link)
Awhile ago I told a family friend about my desire to explore wetplate photography, and described to her the process and end product. (Common process from the late 1800s where the photo is made on a glass or metal plate that is coated and processed on the spot for any who aren't familiar. Really cool, suggest everyone read up on it.) She told one of her friends, and a few days later I got an email asking if I would be willing to do formal portraits at a wedding next summer for $10,000.

Clearly the market exists for photography beyond digital. Anyone who argues otherwise is a fool. The question one must ask themselves is if the market in their area is large enough, and if they have the skills and abilities to fill it.

What I do for me, my personal work has very little to do with what type of photography I do to feed the family. The professional work feeds the family, pays the bills and buys all the stuff. What I do for me feeds my soul. I know a guy that posts here thats going to start shooting tin types.

If you want to do something bad enough professionally and you really have a passion for it then I would say move to the market.

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 01, 2013 17:22 as a reply to  @ post 15888008 |  #183

because your complete lack of understanding the point is bw!

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 01, 2013 17:23 |  #184
bannedPermanent ban

flashpoint99 wrote in post #15888043 (external link)
because your complete lack of understanding the point is bw!

Hahahaha......is too funny...:cool:

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 01, 2013 17:25 |  #185

TooManyShots wrote in post #15887972 (external link)
I am not sure if you are joking or not. You don't need a darkroom unless you have enough disposable income to build a darkroom just for the sake of doing it. You really only need a darkroom if you do the prints yourself. There are plenty of good spot meters. The Sekonic 758, $500. Their older models, the 601, 508 ,and 558 can be had for around $400. Super duper large format? If 8x10 isn't big enough for you, you surely have an "exceptional" taste. :)

I'm not joking. I know there are plenty of good meters on the market, but everything in life is a tradeoff. I can get by reasonably well without a hand held meter with my digital setup (I would still love to have one for some things), but the value of even a used decent meter is a chunk out of a lens budget that had priority and would see far more use.

And why would I go through all the extra effort and hassle of shooting film/plate and then not get to do the developing and printing myself? I don't shoot jpeg with auto settings on my digital camera, so why would I pass off a fun and interesting part of the process to someone else when exploring a topic as deep and involved as film?

As for size, why not? If I am going to play with something different than my digital setup, then I don't see why I shouldn't enjoy something that gets me as far away from what I can do currently and push to something really different and unique.

I would love to play with mixing my own photographic chemistry. And look forward to a time in my life when I can do something like making plate prints on 8x10 foot panels that become the entire wall in a room. (I even have a note book kicking around somewhere with a few ideas on how I could camouflage electrical outlets in the image.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 01, 2013 17:55 |  #186

Luckless wrote in post #15888054 (external link)
I'm not joking. I know there are plenty of good meters on the market, but everything in life is a tradeoff. I can get by reasonably well without a hand held meter with my digital setup (I would still love to have one for some things), but the value of even a used decent meter is a chunk out of a lens budget that had priority and would see far more use.

And why would I go through all the extra effort and hassle of shooting film/plate and then not get to do the developing and printing myself? I don't shoot jpeg with auto settings on my digital camera, so why would I pass off a fun and interesting part of the process to someone else when exploring a topic as deep and involved as film?

As for size, why not? If I am going to play with something different than my digital setup, then I don't see why I shouldn't enjoy something that gets me as far away from what I can do currently and push to something really different and unique.

I would love to play with mixing my own photographic chemistry. And look forward to a time in my life when I can do something like making plate prints on 8x10 foot panels that become the entire wall in a room. (I even have a note book kicking around somewhere with a few ideas on how I could camouflage electrical outlets in the image.)

Yeah light meters seem overpriced considering all modern cameras do it for you now, I picked up a used sekonic 508 for $150, you just gotta look for deals, there out there.

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 01, 2013 19:46 |  #187

I wish cars didn't replace horse drawn carriages. Transportation is just too fast and accessible these days that anyone can get anywhere. Just thought I'd post that in the spirit of the original post.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 01, 2013 20:00 |  #188

namtot wrote in post #15888133 (external link)
Yeah light meters seem overpriced considering all modern cameras do it for you now, I picked up a used sekonic 508 for $150, you just gotta look for deals, there out there.

Considering they meter incident as well as strobes, they are worth it if that is the type of metering you need.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 01, 2013 20:23 |  #189
bannedPermanent ban

Luxornv wrote in post #15888450 (external link)
I wish cars didn't replace horse drawn carriages. Transportation is just too fast and accessible these days that anyone can get anywhere. Just thought I'd post that in the spirit of the original post.

Sorry, welcome to yesterday's argument. That analogy was used few months ago on the same subject about film vs digital. You are a bit too late. Better luck next time....

Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 01, 2013 20:25 |  #190
bannedPermanent ban

RandyMN wrote in post #15888496 (external link)
Considering they meter incident as well as strobes, they are worth it if that is the type of metering you need.

$150 for the 508 is a good deal. Sekonic has the whole light meter market for themselves. I would stick to analog meter for now.

Facebook (external link)

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 01, 2013 20:41 |  #191

RandyMN wrote in post #15888496 (external link)

Absolutely, its a must have for me, it was just kind of surprising to see the price of new meters when I was looking for one.

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,802 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

May 02, 2013 07:31 as a reply to  @ iamascientist's post |  #192

iPhone free lightmeter app works very similar to liveview. Perfect for ambient light.
May be where are some apps with strobes support.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 02, 2013 07:56 |  #193

kf095 wrote in post #15889736 (external link)
iPhone free lightmeter app works very similar to liveview. Perfect for ambient light.
May be where are some apps with strobes support.

Due to sampling style, not with any great accuracy. Then there is also the issue with the sensor calibration and light balance. I'll stick with a grey card and the cameras reflective meter before spending any amount of time looking at phone apps to do the job.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

May 02, 2013 08:27 |  #194

and one of these is the perfect meter and tool for large format zone system work
http://www.ebay.com …%3D190559840125​%26ps%3D54 (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 02, 2013 08:32 |  #195

flashpoint99 wrote in post #15887796 (external link)
I shot film for years. It had its time. Now there is a much better tool.

Did you know that last Superbowl the total # of pics taken by the core group of professional photogrphers was 16,000. Out of those 16,000 shots do you know how many were deemed keepers or magazine grade?????

75...............Guess these guys are a bunch of spray and shoot hacks or I guess they should go back to shooting film because obviously digital has made them less skilled photgraphers!;)

If I were shooting the Superbowl, I wouldn't be using my Leica M6, that's for sure.

But then again, not all of us are shooting the Superbowl. For some of us, photography isn't about maximizing how many images can be taken in a given amount of time, or having the absolutely cleanest possible image, or immediate feedback.

Digital is not a "better tool" than film; it's a different tool. They are different media, with different strengths, weaknesses, and best practices. Why is that so hard for so many people to understand? Why do people feel the need to bring one medium down in defence of another. Why, in fact, defend a medium at all?

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

sponsored links

21,248 views & 0 likes for this thread
I wish digital didn't replace film.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.