Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 01 May 2013 (Wednesday) 16:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sound Help

diogobateman
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 01, 2013 16:12 |  #1

Hey, I'm gonna get my hands on a Canon 600D in the next few weeks. I know from my colleagues that the internal mic of the 600D is not very good and I obviously need a good sound for my filmmaking purposes. I would like to ask for your help regarding some alternatives on sound. I heard somethings about the zoom H1n being a cheap and good voice recorder that can be attached to 600D. What would you buy just to capture good enough quality sound at a cheap/normal price for a Canon 600D?

Sorry for my english, I'm portuguese :)

sponsored links
one2nite
436 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 02, 2013 10:47 |  #2

Zoom h1 is very good. I sync the audio in post thou. I also have a Sony ECM-DS70P that works well and is much smaller. But the zoom is better

Canon 6d +70d
Canon 17-40L / Sigma 50mm 1.4 / Canon 85mm 1.8 / Canon 18-135mm / Sigma 50-150 2.8 / Canon 580 EX / Gopro / EOS M

BioSci
406 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Nov 2010

May 02, 2013 10:53 as a reply to  @ one2nite's post |  #3

Syncing the audio in post is pretty easy so long as you also have live audio from the camera. I add the soundtrack captured by my Zoom H4N, slide it back and forth until it's perfectly sync'd (looking at the audio waveforms makes this a lot easier), lock the Zoom audio track to the video track, then delete (or disable) the camera audio.

Gripped 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400L | 17-55 f/2.8 | lots of misc stuff

Tyo Photographyexternal link

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 02, 2013 11:49 |  #4

Using the right tool to capture audio is essential. Microphones generally work best when they are close to the source. To make good choices, you need to figure out how you use video and what types of audio you need to record. Stereo microphones are good for ambient noises such as nature. Dynamic mics are used for handheld live interviews. Lavaliers are used for stationary studio interviews. Shotgun mics on a boom are used for film style dialog.

A video shotgun microphone such a Rode VideoMic Pro or Senheiser mk400 or Azden SMX10 are good tools for general recording. One tough part about using a DSLR such as the 600D is no headphone jack for monitoring. You will need to manually adjust recording levels.

Digital recorders offer higher sound quality but are cumbersome for editing and sound best when they are close to the source-which makes it a poor choice for dialog without additional external mics.

-Scott

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

iggy097
110 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2011

May 08, 2013 07:27 |  #5

Does that camera have the option to turn of auto gain control? If not, does it have Magic lantern support?
When I want "great" sound, I use my H1 off camera with a microphone attached and sync post, but for the most part, I use a rode stereo video mic pro attached directly to the camera ( get it off the camera somehow with a "y" bracket to minimize noise as you focus. Sound is decent this way, but obviously not as good as off camera with the mic above talents head, but it cuts down on setup time by a tremendous amount.

www.epictalentmedia.co​m (external link)

bclark22
47 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 21, 2013 20:00 |  #6

A Zoom h1n with a lav would be best for 1 person interview style. Something that is more flexible would be a microphone like the Rode VideoMic or VideoMic Pro. The shotgun microphones like the VideoMic series are nice to have because you can coldshoe mount them on the DSLRs and walk around with them. A Lavalier will always beat a shotgun when 1 person is talking though.

As others have mentioned, I use magic lantern with AGC off and it creates great audio. The H1N should do great for not introducing a hiss into you audio though.

GeminiZ
179 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 21, 2013 20:07 as a reply to  @ bclark22's post |  #7

Rode VideoMic for reference audio

Zoom H1 or H4N for production audio to sync.

Rode Lavalier for interviewing is good too.

7D, 400D - 24-70 f/2.8L - 70-200 f/2.8L - 50 f/1.2L - 40 f/2.8 - 10-22 f/3.5

sponsored links

978 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sound Help
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.