Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 May 2013 (Thursday) 14:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a 2nd body

sonsw87
76 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 02, 2013 14:00 |  #1

I been looking into getting a 2nd body. I currently have 5d mkll and been using it since it first came out but with my lastest salt water accident I feel like my camera could go coocoo any time soon. So... I been looking into either getting a used 7d or the new t5i (700d). They seem to be in a similar price range. I shoot events and portraits for my biz. What do you guys suggest as a 2nd body?

sponsored links
outmywindow
670 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 02, 2013 14:02 |  #2

7D would be a wonderful pairing with the 5D MK II that you have. Indeed the t5i is new, but unless you're looking for a lighter body I would not get it. With the 7D you have the advantage of a wonderful AF system and 8 fps! So in my mind it would be a perfect duo :)

Just a soul with a camera

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 02, 2013 14:15 |  #3

The only difference I see is the 7D has 8fps and Live View. If you don't need those options, I would go with the T5i.

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 02, 2013 14:21 |  #4

Sorry, looks like the T5i has Live View as well. The 7D is a great camera, although I have never owned one I have seen result from friends of mine that own them so you won't be disappointed.

melauer
207 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 02, 2013 14:29 |  #5

The 7D has more than twice as many autofocus points than the T5i. They are spread more widely over the viewfinder. Plus it has a dedicated processor which just handles autofocus. The point being that the autofocus on the 7D is much better in almost all circumstances. That's the big advantage of the 7D.

Other advantages include a better control layout and a more rugged body. It uses Compact Flash cards which are available at higher speeds than Secure Digital cards. The viewfinder is larger and brighter (it shows 100% of the scene instead of 95% on the T5i). So the 7D definitely has many advantages.

The T5i has lots of neat new features as well, of course. Having said that it isn't terribly different from the T4i which is a bit cheaper. Why not get the T4i? For that matter, why not the 60D (which is sort of halfway between the 7D and T5i)?

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 02, 2013 14:41 as a reply to  @ melauer's post |  #6

In this case, unless you need to use STM lenses for video I'd go with the 7D. Both cameras are pretty close really. My main reason would actually be because it and your 5D2 both use compact flash cards. It makes life a lot easier when you don't have to add another type of media in there.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

sonsw87
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 02, 2013 14:52 |  #7

Some good points... I dont shoot vids so vid capability isnt a problem. I do own lots of CF cards... and 7d uses the same battery as my 5d.. I do like the AF on 7d...

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

May 02, 2013 18:51 |  #8

7D is a great compliment to the 5D II. Owned one before I moved up. CF and common batteries and charger are a great plus. MFA is also nice to have and I'm not sure the t5i supports this. Also you will enjoy the extra reach of the crop frame as a compliment to the 5D II. Now all your lens have two focal lengths 1x and 1.6x! Also there are many very good used ones available i with light usage if you look patiently.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

May 02, 2013 18:59 |  #9

It was the better focusing system of the 7D that forced me to consider the 5D III. It got me to realize how a well designed AF system should work. Lucky for me the 5D III didn't disappoint.

I had a 50D at one point and its 9 focus points, all cross types, was even better than my 5D II. For me AF performance and high quality Live few are one of the most important features.

Good luck

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

sponsored links

753 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a 2nd body
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.