Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 30 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 17:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Pale Princess of a Palace Cracked... (Photo and video series)

AlanMura
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 30, 2013 17:57 |  #1

The idea for this shoot was based on the sculpture, "The Ecstasy of St Teresa" by Gian Lorenzo Bernini. I wanted to explore what it would be like to experience the same sensation if it wasnt god that was touching you, but the devil. The video is super hectic and hardrcore, but I would imagine that Satan doesnt hand out cotton candy and teddy bears. So I found it fitting to push the limit a bit on the filming/editing/direct​ion. Anyway... I hope you enjoy.

VIDEO (click the image to play)

IMAGE: http://i40.tinypic.com/5bwoqc.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://vimeo.com/6500​7893  (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/jpeg'

ALANMURA.COM (external link) | FACE (external link)BOOK (external link) | BLOG (external link)

picturepages
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 01, 2013 18:24 |  #2

huh...no comments?

well heck..for what you're trying to get across I think you did very well.
The video is cool.

*~~I find.....the more I learn about photography, the more there is to learn about photography.:confused: ~~* My Flicker page (external link)

Canon 20D 5Dll EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 ll, EF50mm1:1.8 ll, EF24-70 1:2.8L USM, EF75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lll

short_wave
665 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 02, 2013 08:29 |  #3

I love the processing/grading on your stills and video. The harsh overhead sun really added to the strength of the images. Your website is also fantastic!

As for the video, aside from the track from Dimmu Borgir, I did not get the sense of tortured/possessed ecstasy. I think it's a little too "safe" from an editing perspective. My opinion is the more erratic the edit, the better. Having the model use her flexibility and more facial expression would add strength, and you could nuance that with jump cuts and motion to give her a more possessed persona. The scene where she licks her lips is out of place to me because that is the only "non-normal" thing she does and a similar action is not repeated for consistency.

Also some of the scenes (i.e. the eyes bleeding) are left on the screen a little too long. I appreciate what you did by speeding up the video and inter-cutting it with another scene, but I was no longer curious about it since I was able to see where the blood was applied, which removed the mystery from it.

Despite these crits, I do like the video. I like the environment and the model/wardrobe and the overall direction!

Feedback
www.john-benitez.com
insta: @johnbenitez

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 02, 2013 19:07 |  #4

@Picture pages.
Ya I thought it would warrant at least in 24hrs lol. But thank you, appreciate the comment!

@short_wave
Thanks for the comments and detailed response. I truly appreciate your thoughts. What I was going for in the video was subtly, juxtaposed with the harsh music by dimmu borgir, and the fast paced effect. There is actually no real time in the video its either at 400% or 40% speed shot at 60fps... The white dress (purchased at a thrift store), the bloody eyes, the soft expressions were all played in to the subtly aspect. I wanted it too look like she was truly enjoying the feeling while being slightly panicked.

Similarly to the St Teresa sculpture.

Anyway those are just my thoughts on the process. Im glad you enjoyed it!

ALANMURA.COM (external link) | FACE (external link)BOOK (external link) | BLOG (external link)

short_wave
665 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 02, 2013 20:50 |  #5

I see what you are saying and it makes more sense with your explanation. Great work! :)

Feedback
www.john-benitez.com
insta: @johnbenitez

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,262 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Pale Princess of a Palace Cracked... (Photo and video series)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.