Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 25 Mar 2013 (Monday) 11:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NIK bundle

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,132 posts
Gallery: 393 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

May 02, 2013 13:32 |  #91

KHAWACHEN wrote in post #15890629 (external link)
Is this a standalone software with those 6 built in pluggins?
or do i need Photoshop or another main software to run it.

and seems like it is a BIG DEAL, since folks here are making it seems like so i suppose i should jump on this deal... :-|

They are not stand alone programs, to my knowlege. These are plugins designed to work with Photoshop/Photoshop Elements, I have PSE11, Lightroom and Aperture. I think that's it.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

sponsored links
Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

May 02, 2013 13:32 |  #92

4g63photo wrote in post #15890853 (external link)
I think its both. It can be used as a stand alone and plug in. When i installed it i got an icon to run as standalone.

I installed it on my IBM and I don't see a way to launch it standalone. Maybe the Mac is different? It hooked into my photoshop and Lightroom.

Can anyone confirm no standalone for IBM?

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 02, 2013 13:39 |  #93

AFAIK, the NIK bundle is not standalone.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 02, 2013 13:40 |  #94

Lifted from their website...............

Macintosh:

Mac® OS 10.6.8 through 10.8
Intel processor
2GB of RAM (4 GB or more recommended)
Adobe Photoshop CS4 (CS5 for HDR Efex Pro 2) through CS6
Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 through 11
(apart from HDR Efex Pro 2, which is not compatible with Photoshop Elements)
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 through 4
Apple® Aperture® 3.1 or later

32-bit and 64-bit Compatible (HDR Efex Pro 2 is only compatible with 64-bit systems)
For GPU acceleration, an Open GL 3.0 compatible graphics card such as the cards listed below.
If no compatible card is available, GPU acceleration will be disabled and the CPU will be used.

Windows:

Windows Vista®, Windows 7, Windows 8
AMD® or Intel® processor
2GB of RAM (4 GB or more recommended)
Adobe Photoshop CS4 through CS6
Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 through 11
(apart from HDR Efex Pro 2, which is not compatible with Photoshop Elements)
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 through 4

32-bit and 64-bit Compatible
For GPU acceleration, an Open GL 3.0 compatible graphics card such as the cards listed below.
If no compatible card is available, GPU acceleration will be disabled and the CPU will be used.

Gear List & Feedback

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,095 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 02, 2013 19:24 |  #95

I got stand alone using LR5 edit in Silver Efex Pro2. Also I don't believe these expire in 30 days.

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 02, 2013 19:44 |  #96

cntry wrote in post #15891950 (external link)
I got stand alone using LR5 edit in Silver Efex Pro2. Also I don't believe these expire in 30 days.

Standalone using LR5? Doesn't using LR5 automatically make it not standalone? Unless I am misunderstanding the definition of standalone...

Gear List & Feedback

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,095 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 02, 2013 20:06 as a reply to  @ v35skyline's post |  #97

Never mind...........Brain Dead.

Randy
Website (external link)

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 02, 2013 20:59 |  #98

When I go to my "applications" i have an icon that reads "color efex pro 4". clicking that gives me the program to pop up. I dont see an icon for the others like silver efex, etc.

Ill try installing it on pc via "parallels"

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 02, 2013 21:02 |  #99

Oh wait.... I found a folder under "applications" with the name NIK Collection. clicking that reveals all the programs as standalones. Clicking on any of the icons will give me a new standalone window. Maybe its using photoshop or aperture to run, i dont know. Looks like this.....

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i21.photobucket​.com …/Untitled_zps8b​6579dc.jpg (external link)

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

baj2k
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 02, 2013 22:37 |  #100

The Windows standalone NIK apps are there. They just don't work in standalone. No way to open a file. The only one that works is HDR Efex Pro 2. If you want to add that app do this:

1) Open Windows Explorer and find the folder you installed the Nik Collection in...
2) Then click on the Windows "Start" icon hover over and right-click on "All Programs" and select "Open All Users" You should now have two Explorer windows open. One for "All User's" and one for "Nik Collection"
3) Inside the "All User's" folder double-click on the "Programs" folder then create a "New" folder call "HDR Efex Pro 2" and open that folder in a separate Explorer window
4) Open the Nik Collection" folder find the app HDR Efex Pro 2...
5) Right-click on the HDR Efex Pro 2 app found in that folder - it will say "Application" under the "Type" column) and select "Create shortcut" (make sure you select the application and not the Plug-In)
6) Drag the newly created shortcut and drop it in the HDR Efex Pro 2 folder you created in step 3.
7) Now right-click on the shortcut you just created and select "Properties", then "Compatibility" and under "Privilege Level" check-mark the "Run this program as an administrator" box.
8) Close all of the Explorer windows. Then Click on the Windows Start button and you'll see a folder called HDR Efex Pro 2.
9) Click on it and once it expands to show the apps it contains click on the shortcut for the app you want to run standalone an wha-la... you're running HDR Efex Pro 2 standalone.

Keep in mind HDR Efex Pro 2 has both a 32-bit and a 64-bit versions so you'll need shortcuts for both if you want to run both versions. Just add (x64) to the 64-bit version's shortcut name to remind you which is which (ie. "HDR Efex Pro 2" & "HDR Efex Pro 2 (x64)". I'm not sure on this but running these standalone without other memory hog apps like CS6 running may help those who have memory constrained systems get better performance.

Enjoy... :D

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,095 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 02, 2013 22:59 |  #101

Windows users look here: C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\

Randy
Website (external link)

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 02, 2013 23:04 |  #102
bannedPermanent ban

On my Mac I can also open the program directly from the Applications folder, but I don't see a way to edit a photo. The menu is practically nothing and I tried dragging a photo to the blank window, but it wouldn't take. So I'd say the Mac version at least isn't standalone.

I use the collection through LR all the time.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,095 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 02, 2013 23:09 |  #103

Ok on windows, right click, open with, browse to nik collection, select which version and presto!
Make sure to uncheck default program, then the next time you right click it will be there on your options to edit with.

Randy
Website (external link)

baj2k
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 03, 2013 00:31 |  #104

cntry wrote in post #15892498 (external link)
Windows users look here: C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\

On your system maybe since you installed it on the C: drive and accepted all the default directories. On mine it's on the D:\Program Files\NIK Collection... folder on my RAID Array... I'd recommend taking a minute and doing once and for all, just follow the simple instructions in my earlier post and you'll have it on your Start Menu and never have to hassle finding it again.

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 31, 2013 11:29 as a reply to  @ baj2k's post |  #105

The coupon code "HDRsoftware15" still works for 15% off the whole Nik Collection.
Final price is $126.65.

sponsored links

11,625 views & 0 likes for this thread
NIK bundle
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.