Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 May 2013 (Friday) 02:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good camera lense for Canon DSLR EOS 550D.

Abcdefgh
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2013

May 03, 2013 02:57 |  #1

What are the good camera lense for DSLR EOS 550D. I don't own any camera or SLR. I'm buying one for someone as a birthday present. I already have EFS 55-250mm , 50mm and EFS 18-55mm lense. I don't know if that their name cause that's what I see on the lense. I'm finding a lense at the budget at RM 500. Malaysia currency. Thank you

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,718 posts
Joined May 2003

May 03, 2013 03:34 |  #2

Confusing wording; you say...

I don't own any camera or SLR. I'm buying one for someone as a birthday present. I already have EFS 55-250mm , 50mm and EFS 18-55mm lense.

If you own these three lenses, is there something this other person particulalry likes? Otherwise
you really to know what camera and lenses that this "someone" has and preferably the type of work that they might typically do. For example, someone that takes closeup photos of flowers needs a totally different compliment of lenses than someone that does automobile racing photography.

Perhaps a gift certificate at a good store.

Yasick
183 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 03, 2013 03:37 |  #3

When i had my 550D, great lenses that worked well for IQ were 135mm, although its really hard to shoot with it as its so close up but the image quality is outstanding, also zeiss 21mm for 550d produces amazing iq.

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
5Dmk3 || EF 17-40mm f/4L USM || Carl Zeiss Distagon 21mm f/2.8 || EF 100mm F2.8 L IS USM Macro

Abcdefgh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2013

May 03, 2013 03:51 |  #4

John from PA wrote in post #15892916 (external link)

If you own these three lenses, is there something this other person particulalry likes? Otherwise
you really to know what camera and lenses that this "someone" has and preferably the type of work that they might typically do. For example, someone that takes closeup photos of flowers needs a totally different compliment of lenses than someone that does automobile racing photography.

I believe he likes taking scenery things.

Abcdefgh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2013

May 03, 2013 03:53 |  #5

John from PA wrote in post #15892916 (external link)

I believe he likes taking scenery things. And the lense are owned by him

jonrmoore
400 posts
Joined Oct 2012

May 03, 2013 03:54 |  #6

24-70mm 2.8 L

http://jontakesphotos.​com (external link)
Flickr (external link) - 6D, 5D, 17-40L, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 135 f2.8, Helios 44-2

Simpleboy
197 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 03, 2013 04:51 |  #7

jonrmoore wrote in post #15892940 (external link)
24-70mm 2.8 L

Where can you find one of those for under US$200? Cause I need to go there!

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 03, 2013 07:35 |  #8

jonrmoore wrote in post #15892940 (external link)
24-70mm 2.8 L

I read the OP's three-line query and noted a budget of 500 RM. Like most people here, I had no idea of the exchange rate and Googled to establish that it's around $169 or £105. You could buy a Nifty Fifty but not much else in the Canon line-up. The query comes from someone who is clearly pretty clueless about photography, asking for suggestions from 'experts'. So where did you get the idea of suggesting the 24-70 L? Not sensible.

OP - I'm re-reading your post and note your friend already has the 50mm 1.8. I'm afraid that's the only lens you can buy for a Canon for the budget you specify. Anyway, I don't think you need to consider buying another lens - he (or she) seems to have already got a pretty decent spread of lenses. Perhaps consider buying a cheap flash to round out the package? My second suggestion would be a camera bag to hold this 'starter kit'.

~ Wallace
Gear List

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 03, 2013 07:58 |  #9

In Malaysia you might find these Chinese/Korean made lenses cheaper. I would not go for the 8 mm, but a 14 mm or 24 if you can afford it, might be ok.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …567+4206889901+​4291579755 (external link)

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

sponsored links

1,180 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good camera lense for Canon DSLR EOS 550D.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.