Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 May 2013 (Wednesday) 13:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is causing this?

Joe ­ Cyr
979 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 01, 2013 13:04 |  #1

Shot my first tennis of the spring season and found a number of my pictures came out like this. The images look ghostly/halo-like and somewhat "digitized." There seems to be no clear focus, even though when I view the AF point it is right on the subject. Settings 1/3200 f3.2 at ISO 320.

Is the black background and black uniforms making it impossible for the camera to lock onto the subject and also messing with the light metering? If so, any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 1D (MARK III),
10d, Elan IIE (old school), 580exII
70-200 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8 (nifty)
http://josephcyrphotog​raphy.smugmug.com (external link)

sponsored links
Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 01, 2013 16:33 |  #2

If you say that the AF is right on the subject, what focus point are you using. If you are single point then I think that the Af is finding it hard to get something to grab hold of. It needs some contrast and there is none in the centre of the body of either player. Black on grey/black makes it hard for the AF to get a fix. It looks to me as if the focus might be on the wire fence? It cannot be motion blur at 1/3200.

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2007

May 01, 2013 22:16 |  #3

These are too small to give a proper evaluation. What lens? Are these cropped or small full frame?
First impression it looks like a crappy lens, cheap filter on front, dirty filter on front.
With the 1D3 did you use the center point or select a point and put it on the face? As David guessed above, the black shirt provides little contrast for the camera to track, face and shoulder stripes are a better focus target.
You are also on to something with the exposure. The camera meter is trying to make the black 18% gray so if an auto mode was selected they will be over exposed. Given same lighting conditions, dial in some minus exposure compensation.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

agl99
156 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 02, 2013 01:09 as a reply to  @ ChunkyDA's post |  #4

I have the opposite problem with birds in the sky. If exposure compensation isn't enough, try manual or exposure lock and meter off something more average. Clean your lens and filters, you might be getting glare shooting into the sun and use lens hoods.

Joe ­ Cyr
THREAD ­ STARTER
979 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 02, 2013 11:25 |  #5

Yes Center point. Pointed at the middle of the subject. Yes these are cropped. Shot with the 70-200 2.8L. Lens and filters were clean. Lens hood was used. Sun was to the left of these subjects. And yes, it reminded me of an image I would get years ago when using the crappy 75-300 lens.

Sorry these are too small. This is the max size for uploading to this site.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will play around next time with exposure compensation.

Canon 1D (MARK III),

Joe ­ Cyr
THREAD ­ STARTER
979 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 02, 2013 11:28 |  #6

I figure it has to be the black on black thing, because this is what shots looked like away from that backdrop. (And different team shirt too)

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 1D (MARK III),

Joe ­ Cyr
THREAD ­ STARTER
979 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 02, 2013 14:59 |  #7

IMAGE: http://josephcyrphotography.smugmug.com/Sports/Tennis/5-7-13Houlton-Tennis-vs/i-smVKKkM/0/L/JOE_1235-L.jpg

Here is a larger version (I'm still trying to figure out how to embed links.)

Canon 1D (MARK III),

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 03, 2013 12:40 |  #8

The hockey team I photograph usually play in black shirts and I now use point expansion and it works much better than point. It overcomes the black, no edge problem. Try it

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

PhotoGeek
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 03, 2013 14:19 |  #9

ChunkyDA wrote in post #15888929 (external link)
As David guessed above, the black shirt provides little contrast for the camera to track, face and shoulder stripes are a better focus target.
You are also on to something with the exposure. The camera meter is trying to make the black 18% gray so if an auto mode was selected they will be over exposed. Given same lighting conditions, dial in some minus exposure compensation.

^
^
^
This. I recently ran into the same issue with exposure, and found pulling it back about 1/3 to 1/2 stop made it a lot better. Won't help the focus though.

The same day, I used the 1DIII with the 70-200 f2.8 to shoot some tennis along side the 1DX with 300 f2.8, and found the same type of focus issue with the 1DIII when targeting a dark shirt against a dark wind screen in sunny conditions. Not so much with the 1DX.

Time for a new camera?

1DX, 1DIII, lenses, flashes, wires and stuff
http://jimlanterphotog​raphy.com (external link)

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,639 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 03, 2013 15:34 |  #10

Joe Cyr wrote in post #15891145 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Here is a larger version (I'm still trying to figure out how to embed links.)

I just cleaned the uv filter on the lens and I think it helped.

OOOps---Image editing no OK'd. My error. I apologize.

;)

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

PhotoGeek
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 03, 2013 15:40 |  #11

Too funny.

Where were you in 2007 when everyone was having focus problems?

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,639 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 03, 2013 15:51 |  #12

PhotoGeek wrote in post #15894701 (external link)
Where were you in 2007 when everyone was having focus problems?

Buying my first 1 series camera, the 1D Mark III!

The moment I saw the image, I thought that it could be improved with a few tricks. I shoot a lot of 'Back Lit' sports shots and it is very common for them to have an almost fog like or haze like glow to them like this one does. The solution (In Lightroom) is to slide the black slider to move the black point darker. Then the contrast or tone curve can be adjusted to taste, sharpened, and an otherwise toss able image can be rescued.

If you make as many mistakes as I do, a few saving tricks cans help.

Software programs other than Lightroom will have an equivalent adjustment for the blacks.

Phil

Gear List

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,639 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 03, 2013 15:58 as a reply to  @ Zivnuska's post |  #13

Joe,

Try that technique with the original file, do a bit of skin work and straighten the horizon using the pole for the fence. I'll bet you will get a very good result.

Phil

Gear List

PhotoGeek
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 03, 2013 16:12 |  #14

Zivnuska wrote in post #15894739 (external link)
Buying my first 1 series camera, the 1D Mark III!

The moment I saw the image, I thought that it could be improved with a few tricks. I shoot a lot of 'Back Lit' sports shots and it is very common for them to have an almost fog like or haze like glow to them like this one does. The solution (In Lightroom) is to slide the black slider to move the black point darker. Then the contrast or tone curve can be adjusted to taste, sharpened, and an otherwise toss able image can be rescued.

If you make as many mistakes as I do, a few saving tricks cans help.

Software programs other than Lightroom will have an equivalent adjustment for the blacks.

Phil

We live in parallel universes. I was doing the same thing in 2007, and have since learned the same benefit of Lightroom.

1s and 0s are wonderful things.

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,662 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 03, 2013 20:39 |  #15

Yes. Joe, turn on editing permission. I would love to see Phil's edit. And I just had a go at it myself and think I made a nice improvement.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

sponsored links

3,898 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is causing this?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.