Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 May 2013 (Friday) 10:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is the 1DX worth selling everything for?

NG8JGFX
731 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 03, 2013 14:53 |  #61

bulldog-yota wrote in post #15894550 (external link)
Subscribing, would be interesting to see what the OP does and results. I'm in a similar situation, where I worked up to the 7D with 70-200 II (and sometimes tc's). It was manageable from a budget perspective. However going the next step seems to be the high $$$$ pro gear, which is just way beyond my budget. Personally I just suck it up, since I'm not a pro, and live with lower quality pictures in some circumstances (however most of the time I do love the IQ and performance).

To the OP, most of the pictures on your site are excellent! Do you often run into the situation where you are longing for better performance, or was it a one time event?? Does it make sense to spend a small fortune on the high end pro gear for once in a while issues??

The good news is that the 7D sensor and body is pretty old now (Nikon introduced a D7000 and recently the D7100 since the 7D was in the market), so there should be an update relatively soon with hopefully a nice step up in high ISO and AF performance.

So one option may be to suck it up and see what new technology will bring you in your current budget range.

I have so many shots that I look back on wishing I would have shot them with better gear ((my 40d days)) its not funny...buy what you want... 7D not bad but best in brighter light..I have one but the 5D2 and 5D3 takes it two to three steps further on the light side of things and overall IQ....

MyCanonPhotos (external link) facebook (external link)
Tenba 32L, 5D IV, 5D III, 7D II, 8 Lenses, Three 600 EX-RT's, ST-E3-RT +

sponsored links
Nathan
So boring
7,729 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

May 03, 2013 15:14 |  #62

NG8JGFX wrote in post #15894516 (external link)
Nathan,
Well S***....Didnt see martial arts in the original post, Ya...

???

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,980 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 03, 2013 15:22 |  #63

Im quite suprised that 10fps from a FF doesent frighten the horses or put the rider off .

Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

Lil ­ Red ­ Wolf
87 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 03, 2013 15:44 |  #64

Gaarryy wrote in post #15893767 (external link)
Just quoting this for you, but I'm pretty positive that you will still get people telling you 5dmk3

I'll put the over/under at 7 for this thread :)

have you thought about the 5D MKlll ? I'm just helping you cover Gaarryy... lol

I shoot horse racing at our local, pretty sure it's a c grade track (but it's all we have) and I would love to have the 1Dx or the 1D mk lV, but when I looked into my wallet last week I ended up ordering the 1D MK lll. I think you know what you want and your research has been pretty good, in your shoes i'd go for the Dx and never look back, having the one that does what you want is paramount, and I think you may be contemplating how much time it will take you to get back that second or 3rd body that you have grown comfortable having at your side. you will never be sorry having what you know works. although from your statements, you only had 1 bad outing with what you have. that's pretty darn good but if you need that success EVERY time then in your shoes I would step up all the way. you should rent one.

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 03, 2013 16:15 |  #65

Lil Red Wolf wrote in post #15894712 (external link)
have you thought about the 5D MKlll ? I'm just helping you cover Gaarryy... lol

Haaaaa Thank you we are getting close

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 03, 2013 16:24 as a reply to  @ Lil Red Wolf's post |  #66

Bob - Here is a recent thread comparing the noise levels of the 1DX to the 5D3. At post #44 he adds more examples of the 7D for further comparison. This should give you a good comparison between all 3 bodies: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1265228

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2008

May 03, 2013 16:39 as a reply to  @ Gaarryy's post |  #67

Sounds like your sold on the 1D X already.

Here's my .02

I hated ISO 6400 coming from my old 7D. ISO 6400 photos looked horrible in the LCD and they were horrible on my computer monitor as well. But on sunny days with ISO at 100-400 the 7D was a winner in my book.

Sold to fund the 1D X:

Canon 5D MKIII with 5k shutter BG-E11 Grip
Canon 5D MKII with 10k shutter with BG-E6 grip
Canon 16-35mm 2.8L II

Was it worth it? Yep, to me it was. It tracks faster on the AF system, the ISO is cleaner compare to the 5D3 and the lens tend to focus faster. Heck even my 85L II was faster. The 12FPS on the 1DX is very nice and grabs attention from folks around you.

ISO 25,600 on the 1DX looks better then ISO 6400 on the 7D by far IMO.

I've thought about going the 5D3 and 1D MKIV route, but after hearing that the 1DIV isn't up to par with the 5D3 in term of IQ, ISO and other things. I decided to take the 1DX plunge.

I love my 1DX very much and these are just my views on the 1DX.

Hot ­ Bob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 03, 2013 17:30 as a reply to  @ kouasupra's post |  #68

Ok, so yes, lens selection is an issue. When the 120-300 2.8 OS came out I thought it was going to be exactly what I had been waiting for. I know there ar many out there who got great copies and are very happy but, that was not my experience. I am not completely soured on Sigma. I've seen what they are doing lately and if the new version of the 120-300 proves out, I'll try it again.

If I were to sell off my gear to get the 1DX, I would keep the 70-200 II and the 1.4x TC. I think I would need to sell just about everything else except the Speedotron gear to cover the cost. You can click on my gear list if you need to see what all that entails.

Truthfully, this is not a situation I run into a lot but, I am starting to get noticed and I'm selling more all the time. Luckily, in this situation I was able to get the stuff I needed before the storm came in. I may not be that lucky next time. In hindsight, I probably should have removed the TC before going to ISO6400. I'm not sure if the trade-off of cropping would have given me more useable images but I really knew this wasn't going to work.

It seems like most of the guys that have the 1DX are saying yes, it's worth it. I'm off to look at more high ISO comparisons. Thanks for all the input so far. This is a big decision for me.

Bob

Image of the Horse (external link)

Gear List

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 03, 2013 17:33 |  #69

how about renting the Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8? The Green Monster. Putting that on the 1Dx would be worth the rental alone.

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Joined May 2008

May 03, 2013 17:49 |  #70

Hot Bob wrote in post #15895032 (external link)
Ok, so yes, lens selection is an issue. When the 120-300 2.8 OS came out I thought it was going to be exactly what I had been waiting for. I know there ar many out there who got great copies and are very happy but, that was not my experience. I am not completely soured on Sigma. I've seen what they are doing lately and if the new version of the 120-300 proves out, I'll try it again.

If I were to sell off my gear to get the 1DX, I would keep the 70-200 II and the 1.4x TC. I think I would need to sell just about everything else except the Speedotron gear to cover the cost. You can click on my gear list if you need to see what all that entails.

Truthfully, this is not a situation I run into a lot but, I am starting to get noticed and I'm selling more all the time. Luckily, in this situation I was able to get the stuff I needed before the storm came in. I may not be that lucky next time. In hindsight, I probably should have removed the TC before going to ISO6400. I'm not sure if the trade-off of cropping would have given me more useable images but I really knew this wasn't going to work.

It seems like most of the guys that have the 1DX are saying yes, it's worth it. I'm off to look at more high ISO comparisons. Thanks for all the input so far. This is a big decision for me.

Bob

It's worth it if you can afford it and justify the cost. The 1DX is the 5D2, 7D, and 1DIII all into one.

If your wanting to compare high ISO photos. For example the 5D3 vs. 1DX here is a thread you might want to look at.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1265228

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

May 03, 2013 18:20 |  #71

I'm honestly trying to see if I did the right thing. Had a 5D III and 1D IV and sold my very lightly used 1D IV and upgraded it to a 1Dx. Can definitely feel the improvements but does it offer me $3200 worth of improvement over my 1D IV? Still not sure. (Sold my 1D IV for $3300 with extra battery)

I like the fact that the menus and controls are similar between the 1D X and 5DIII. Some times I think I should have sold the 5D III and kept the 1D IV and 1Dx

My plan was to also sell the 5D III but really like having the two together. I know the 1Dx is faster focusing and really seems to be lower noise in low light (high ISO) but again was it worth the the difference? Only time will tell. Will definitely be keeping the 1Dx for quite a while instead of rolling things over every few years like I'd been doing.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 03, 2013 18:23 |  #72

swldstn wrote in post #15895174 (external link)
I'm honestly trying to see if I did the right thing. Had a 5D III and 1D IV and sold my very lightly used 1D IV and upgraded it to a 1Dx. Can definitely feel the improvements but does it offer me $3200 worth of improvement over my 1D IV? Still not sure. (Sold my 1D IV for $3300 with extra battery)

I like the fact that the menus and controls are similar between the 1D X and 5DIII. Some times I think I should have sold the 5D III and kept the 1D IV and 1Dx

My plan was to also sell the 5D III but really like having the two together. I know the 1Dx is faster focusing and really seems to be lower noise in low light (high ISO) but again was it worth the the difference? Only time will tell. Will definitely be keeping the 1Dx for quite a while instead of rolling things over every few years like I'd been doing.

yes.

PhotoGeek
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 03, 2013 18:30 |  #73

In a word yes.

Look for some of my volleyball work at 10k and 12800 for examples.

Sell your wife. Sell your soul. Live in a tent. Place the order. It's only money.

1DX, 1DIII, lenses, flashes, wires and stuff
http://jimlanterphotog​raphy.com (external link)

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Joined May 2008

May 03, 2013 18:49 |  #74

swldstn wrote in post #15895174 (external link)

Everybody is different and only you can make that call. Honestly thou, the more you use the 1DX the more you'll learn to love it more. The 5D3 and 1DX compliment each other well. I want another 5D3 as a backup camera, but as of right now I need more glass. Mind donating some of your glass over here. LOL

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,648 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 03, 2013 20:28 |  #75

I have shot with 1D III's, 1D IV's and now 1D X's. No doubt, the 1D X is the bees knees right now. But don't write off the 1D IV so quickly. It is certainly no slouch up to ISO 6400. I had no reservations using it up to 6400 for indoor sports and night time football.

And given that they go for less than half a 1D X, you could keep more of your gear including the 1D III (would be my choice) for backup. And you keep some of the reach afforded by the 1.3x crop.

In the end it is your decision to make. Yes, you would love the 1D X. It is a dream machine. But are you really willing to sacrifice that much to make it happen? Personally, I don't think I could. Only you can decide if it is really worth it for your situation.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

sponsored links

19,326 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is the 1DX worth selling everything for?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.