Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 14 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 11:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Printers for CD/DVD printing?

RobbieJ
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 14, 2011 11:55 |  #1

I didn't really know how to search for such a lengthy question without getting a lot of answers not pertaining to said question. So please forgive me if this has been discussed numerous times, as I did not see.

Anyway.....

What are some good printers to look at that can actually print on CD/DVD's. So I can present a client with a disc of images that has nice artwork actually printed on the face. Instead of lightscribe.

I also notice some people are doing flashdrives as well?

First post I think? Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
glick
244 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 14, 2011 12:25 |  #2

I have an Epson Artisan 835. It does a great job. When I was looking for mine I found that in the US you're limited to Epson unless you want to make modifications to a canon. Things may have changed though?.

RobbieJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 14, 2011 12:38 as a reply to  @ glick's post |  #3

Thanks glick! I'll check it out. And no Canon still does not. I wanted to 'keep it in the family' but I called last week and they did not offer a Canon printer that did discs.

The 835 seems very versitile from the quick glance I had so far.

FA_Productions
577 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 18, 2011 23:00 |  #4

I had an Epson R300 that did a great job for me. I am sure that they have a newer model that will aslo work. You can purchase white printalbe media to the hub from SuperMediaStore.com

Canon 7D, 1D mkIII - 580EX Speedlite
Canon 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200L, 100-400L

jwtphoto.com (external link) | Flickr (external link)

supernova74
957 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 19, 2011 05:22 |  #5

Canon iP4700. Cheap and works a treat :)

Mark
Canon 5DMKII. 50D. EF 70-200 f2.8 II L, EF 24-70 L, 50mm f/1.8 II, Speedlite 580EX II, 15mm Fisheye
Facebook (external link)

Stone-Rogers
169 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 19, 2011 06:58 |  #6

I own a company that makes CDs/DVDs for companies, (as well as photography). For the money, the Epson printers with the disk tray are the best value for the buck for photographers that just need a one off disk.

www.stone-rogers.com (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,021 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 19, 2011 11:47 |  #7

If you have the us version of the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mk II, you can prints disks on it with a little work. You have to pop off a piece of plastic that blocks the tray, update the firmware to the european version, and buy the tray off of ebay.

If not the 9000, then I would say the Epson 835. I have an Epson R260 that I've used for a few years and it works great. The only reason I'm buying the 835 is to replace my HP Officejet.

Gear
Website (external link)

OldA1
400 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 19, 2011 11:57 |  #8

I use the original canon 9000 and am pleased with the results. Updating / modifying the firmware was easy. It is just a sequence of button pushing which was listed and supplied by the ebay vendor that sold the cd tray.

Peace
Mark

hbomb69
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 19, 2011 15:00 |  #9

i use epson R265. great for DVD printing, using taiyo yuden watersheild gloss discs.

Think the current epson equivalent is a P50:)

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.uk (external link)
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

RobbieJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 21, 2011 09:27 as a reply to  @ hbomb69's post |  #10

Just to let everyone know B & H has the Epson 835 with an instant rebate making it 164.95 with free ground shipping. So needless to say I ordered it. Thanks for everyone's help. :D

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,134 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jun 25, 2011 21:26 as a reply to  @ RobbieJ's post |  #11

HP makes printers that print discs, but in my experience their image quality is significantly inferior to Epsons.

I've used low-end Epsons for disc printing for a long time, since the R260, and while their image quality has always been good, Epsons had always been very cranky in operation until the 700/700 series. Epson has finally gotten the operational characteristics of its low-end disc printers just about equal to the image quality.

Even the 700/800 series still tends to do a whole lot more creaking and groaning than I think it should, but at lease they now have built-in disc carriers and they seem to have solved the problem of clogging print heads.

For discs I also vote for Taiyo Yuden watershield.

I consider having the right software an extremely important factor as well. Third-party disc printing software is always more robust and usually less peculiar than manufacturer's software. Moreover, if you do change printers, your older files are not orphaned.

I particularly like Acoustica CD Label Printer (about $21 USD from acustica.com). They keep it updated for the latest printers (including LightScribe), it's quite powerful and quite easy to use. I especially like the easy way it can be adjusted to precise disc print area measurement.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 25, 2011 21:47 |  #12

I particularly like Acoustica CD Label Printer (about $21 USD from acustica.com).

That is what I am using at this moment. Printing DVD's on an Epson R320. I print the front cover on Kodak premium glossy paper, then print on the disk. I don't know if I am lucky or what but my graphic has been printing in perfect registration with the DVD. Haven't need any type of calibration.

Note: As far as I know, you won't gt a glossy finish on the DVD. But the graphics still look good.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

RDKirk
13,134 posts
Joined May 2004

Jun 26, 2011 08:49 |  #13

MT Stringer wrote in post #12657842 (external link)
That is what I am using at this moment. Printing DVD's on an Epson R320. I print the front cover on Kodak premium glossy paper, then print on the disk. I don't know if I am lucky or what but my graphic has been printing in perfect registration with the DVD. Haven't need any type of calibration.

Different DVDs have different actual print areas, even if they claim the same nominal specifications. "Hub Printable" discs can vary up to half a centimeter in the diameter of the unprintable hole from brand to brand, for instance, and the outside diameters of printable areas can also vary by a millimeter or two. With Acoustica, it's easy to correct to 0.1mm for those variances.

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 03, 2013 20:52 |  #14

Does anyone have any new suggestions?

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

RDKirk
13,134 posts
Joined May 2004

May 03, 2013 21:27 |  #15

ChadAndreo wrote in post #15895577 (external link)
Does anyone have any new suggestions?

Nope, my Artisan 810 is still chugging just fine.

sponsored links

9,209 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Printers for CD/DVD printing?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.