Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 May 2013 (Saturday) 08:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark III LCD brightness

Ouessant
741 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 04, 2013 08:02 |  #1

Hi all,

I've noticed something annoying about my 5D3 when shooting outside in bright light.

LCD brightness is set to "Auto" in the menu, and when I take a picture, the image that appears on the LCD just after the shot is very dark during the review time. :confused:

It is only when I switch to playback mode by pressing the arrow button that the image becomes bright.

I wondered if it was not due to the fact that my face was obstructing the light sensor (I always look through the viewfinder when shooting).
So I took a picture without looking through the viewfinder and the image was bright.

I guess that makes sense, since theres is much more light hitting the light sensor when you don't have your face very close to the LCD, but I don't believe my 5D2 did the same thing. And that bugs me because I have to switch to playback mode every time I want to be able to see a clear image of the picture I just took.

So I changed LCD brightness to "Manual" in the menu in order to have a consistent brightness, both in review and in playback mode.

Do you guys have the same issue with your 5D3's or did I make a mistake at some point ?

François
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 04, 2013 09:54 |  #2

Yeah you're 100% right

When you press the playback button it remeasures the light (less your face obstruction)

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,479 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 04, 2013 11:49 |  #3

I never noticed since I have never left "review" on for any of my camera.

I must say, the auto brightness is the best most readable I have come across on any platform, including my smart phones! I can always read it, and it never seems too bright.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

May 04, 2013 12:12 |  #4

Mine's usually to dim even when I hit the play button, but then I realize my sunglasses are still on. I've never noticed that my preview was different myself but it only seems to adjust when it turns on so yeah you face would be blocking a lot of the light.

Ouessant
THREAD ­ STARTER
741 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 05, 2013 04:14 |  #5

Thanks for your input, guys. So you don't think there's anyhting wrong ?

François
flickr (external link)

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
13,120 posts
Gallery: 306 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 05, 2013 04:25 |  #6

You can always switch to manual.... I did, because I disliked the auto setting which can be confusing.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Yasick
183 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 05, 2013 05:20 |  #7

Set manual to 6, its perfect in day and night.

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
5Dmk3 || EF 17-40mm f/4L USM || Carl Zeiss Distagon 21mm f/2.8 || EF 100mm F2.8 L IS USM Macro

lennartsw
105 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 05, 2013 06:14 |  #8

I had the same problem until I set it to manual.

Sorry for my bad English
5DIII, 7D, Samyang 14 2.8, Canon 17-40 4L, Canon 28 1.8, Zeiss 50 1.4, Canon 85 1.2L II, Canon 100 2.8L, Canon 100-400L 4.5-5.6

Flickr (external link)

Ouessant
THREAD ­ STARTER
741 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 05, 2013 07:00 |  #9

I set it to manual, and I find 6 is a good compromise too. :cool:
But my warranty period expires in 1 month, so if this LCD brightness issue is not normal, it might be a good idea to send it in and have Canon take a look at it before it's too late.

François
flickr (external link)

Yasick
183 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 05, 2013 07:04 |  #10

Ouessant wrote in post #15899111 (external link)
I set it to manual, and I find 6 is a good compromise too. :cool:
But my warranty period expires in 1 month, so if this LCD brightness issue is not normal, it might be a good idea to send it in and have Canon take a look at it before it's too late.

Setting it auto its horrible, when mine was on auto the lcd on preview was really dark, could barely see the picture. I know few of my friends who have the same thing. Its not a bug and not an issue. Just set it to manual 6. Warranty wont fix it, its just how the camera is.

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
5Dmk3 || EF 17-40mm f/4L USM || Carl Zeiss Distagon 21mm f/2.8 || EF 100mm F2.8 L IS USM Macro

javierz0509
745 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 05, 2013 07:45 |  #11

omg this is the same thing that has been bothering me and i did not know what to do, i am setting mines to manual for sure.

Follow me on Facebook (external link) - Canon 5D MK3 - 85mm f/1.8 - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

nwlight
33 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 05, 2013 07:59 |  #12

This drove me nuts for a few months until I figured out it was from the auto brightness. There were lots of times where I thought I had underexposed my shots.

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 05, 2013 09:24 as a reply to  @ nwlight's post |  #13

I set mine to manual for exposure reasons. I purposely keep at least one shot on my CF card that was perfect exposed, and then set the LCD so that it displayed that image so it looked correct. I did this because sometimes auto mode made my image look under or over exposed when it really wasn't. (yes, I use the histogram, but sometimes I don't have the time to check it)

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

Ouessant
THREAD ­ STARTER
741 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 05, 2013 09:45 |  #14

True, this can make you think your shot is underexposed when it's not.
I just made a quick test outside with my 7D, and Auto LCD brightness works flawlessly, no dark images whatsoever. I also don't remember my 5D2 had this issue, I certainly would have noticed it.
As I can see, some of you have had the same problem, and I find it really weird that this feature does not work perfectly on such an expensive camera.
Oh well, guess I'll set it to manual 6 and just forget about it. :(

François
flickr (external link)

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 05, 2013 12:11 |  #15

The feature does work properly as it is designed - the issue is how it is designed - which is terrible

Unlike the 5D2, which constantly reads the ambient light, the 5D3 reads only at the start of playback (which unfortunately is immediately after you take a photo if you have image review on) (hence requiring playback button to be pressed again to restart the playback cycle and remeasure the ambient light)

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

sponsored links

7,465 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark III LCD brightness
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.