Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...

this thread is locked
jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

May 05, 2013 14:25 as a reply to  @ post 15900131 |  #631

Have been thinking about why the 7D felt so heavy and maybe I have found the answer. Each demo camera had a plate with a short pole in it connected to its bottom. This way each camera could sit in its socket with a cable connecting the plate with pole in it to its socket (it's the safety system used by the store). Maybe that plate made the 7D feel heavier than it really was.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

sponsored links
jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 05, 2013 15:00 as a reply to  @ post 15900171 |  #632

ElectronGuru wrote in post #15899743 (external link)
This thread is a good example of the perfectionists dilemma.

A few examples from my own life...

My favorite 15 year old cordless drill was still going but I have an important new application, requiring significantly more torque. Its time to upgrade to a drill and impact set. The best new drills and impacts use brushless motors, but Dewalt (my favorite brand) has only a brushless impact (which now have). The brushless drill (bit clamp + adjustable clutch) is still vaporware. So I'm stuck using the new impact and the old drill, waiting for the best to be ready. The old drill weights more and new 895 impact handles the new job, so I'm not forced to take action. The best drill will show eventually. The risk of waiting is less than the risk of not waiting.

My bicycle lock was out of date and I needed a new one. But only a few companies (in the world) made or make my favorite style. The one I wanted was in development, with an ETA of later that year. Massive plates, massive rivets, and a key system worthy of Houdini. So I waited and waited. By this point, enough thieves could get through my old one, but I decided to risk it, and lost. By the time my best lock was ready, so was my new bicycle. The risk of waiting was more than the risk of not waiting.

The problem here is that there is no obvious best. The 5D3 does some things better, the 6D does other things better and the risk of waiting is small (OP isn't risking loosing an important shot by not taking action). But there is an answer. All of the things the 6D is better at are because its newer, features that weren't ready when the 5D3 went 'to press'. The 5D4 will be newer, have all the newer features, and be the best at everything. The risk of waiting is less than the risk of not waiting.

For myself, the only reason I stopped liking the 20D was the constant battle with dust. I got the best available at the time (7D) and have 1) missed the simplicity of the 20D focusing system (I shoot a ton of macro) 2) never used the built in flash and 3) started missing the FF DOF afforded by the the 20D's predecessor, my 35mm EOS 620. My solution to all of these is the 6D. Everything I want, nothing I don't, and extra cash to get the best lenses.

Edit: it does suck not having a joystick, the perfect companion to the simpler auto focus points

Finally someone gets it. It's not like I really have to buy a camera now or in the near future. I still have my 550D remember. I'm in a strong position since (most of) the problems I face with my 550D have workarounds (e.g. I can use my Speedlite with the Pocket Wizards I just bought and received so I can stay at low ISO to avoid noise). Also, given the fact that I only shoot 500-1.000 pictures a year, it isn't so easy to justify/spend so much money on a camera. In that regard I find it easier to spend 20.000 euro on a car than to spend 3.000 euro on a camera since I use my car almost everyday... Of course then my perfectionism comes into play and pushes me towards cameras providing better image quality, AF and ergonomics. Waiting until I'm sure is in my case a win-win situation. There are basically 2 possible outcomes to waiting: or I'll get a next-generation Canon DSLR (e.g. 5D4 or 6D2) or I'll pay less for the 5D3/6D compared to the current prices.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,702 posts
Joined Oct 2012

May 05, 2013 15:17 |  #633

jocau wrote in post #15900271 (external link)
Finally someone gets it. It's not like I really have to buy a camera now or in the near future. I still have my 550D remember. I'm in a strong position since (most of) the problems I face with my 550D have workarounds (e.g. I can use my Speedlite with the Pocket Wizards I just bought and received so I can stay at low ISO to avoid noise). Also, given the fact that I only shoot 500-1.000 pictures a year, it isn't so easy to justify/spend so much money on a camera. In that regard I find it easier to spend 20.000 euro on a car than to spend 3.000 euro on a camera since I use my car almost everyday... Of course then my perfectionism comes into play and pushes me towards cameras providing better image quality, AF and ergonomics. Waiting until I'm sure is in my case a win-win situation. There are basically 2 possible outcomes to waiting: or I'll get a next-generation Canon DSLR (e.g. 5D4 or 6D2) or I'll pay less for the 5D3/6D compared to the current prices.

Ah, see, here's the problem! You need to get out and shoot more! ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,244 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 05, 2013 18:11 |  #634

Mavgirl wrote in post #15900036 (external link)
I'm going to disagree here. I do think a lot depends on how you use the AF system but that doesn't translate to focus and recompose with the 6D or only using the center point. Nor does it mean only shooting static subjects.

I do agree on the weight. They may have put a polycarbonate top plate on the 6D but that really didn't make noticeably lighter than any other DSLR's it's size.

When I had the original 5d I never focussed and recomposed. I have always selected AF point on any dslr that I'be owned.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

wisdom2thewise
127 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 05, 2013 20:47 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #635

Tony's video is great.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=sX_I9KPPdWY (external link)

Sold my first DSLR & lens = 6D (24-105L) & (40)
Now what prime should i get with the 7d mark ii?...

jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 05, 2013 23:22 |  #636

wisdom2thewise wrote in post #15901226 (external link)
Tony's video is great.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=sX_I9KPPdWY (external link)

Already seen it and it's a nice video, but I hate it that he calls the 7D a top-end compact camera. Looks like he has never heard of a cropped sensor. And also, who the hell would zoom in to 400%?

wisdom2thewise
127 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 05, 2013 23:47 |  #637

jocau wrote in post #15901639 (external link)
Already seen it and it's a nice video, but I hate it that he calls the 7D a top-end compact camera. Looks like he has never heard of a cropped sensor. And also, who the hell would zoom in to 400%?

Haha...Got to get his book.
Though he made a valid point about focus & re-composure on the 6d - if you can put up with it, you've saved yourself $1200us dollars, in lieu of 5d3.

jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 06, 2013 01:27 |  #638

wisdom2thewise wrote in post #15901671 (external link)
Though he made a valid point about focus & re-composure on the 6d - if you can put up with it, you've saved yourself $1200us dollars, in lieu of 5d3.

I have his book on my iPad since a few days. It's nice so far, but for now I still prefer the video trainings of Ben Long on the lynda.com website.

Boss302
53 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 06, 2013 01:33 |  #639

wisdom2thewise wrote in post #15901671 (external link)

Why you would buy a book from a guy who claims to be a Canon expert, yet does NOT know the 7D had a firmware update almost a year ago that added manual audio level control? He made a huge deal out of that, and said it was a fatal flaw... :rolleyes:

If he doesn't know something simple like that, he is definitely not keeping up.

Folks...there are two ways to make money in the photography world. You can either make money out of actually producing photographs, or you can get suckers to pay you for your so called knowledge... Nowadays, there are a whole lot more people making money off of writing books, training, and teaching photography than those making money off of actually making photographs. The whole business is upside down now and preying on the ignorant who think they need to read one more book or watch one more video and then they will finally be a competent photographer.

The best thing you can do to learn is just get out there and do it. You don't need another lame ass photography book or video.

wisdom2thewise
127 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 06, 2013 02:11 |  #640

jocau wrote in post #15901838 (external link)
I have his book on my iPad since a few days. It's nice so far, but for now I still prefer the video trainings of Ben Long on the lynda.com website.

Shall suss this out.

wisdom2thewise
127 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 06, 2013 02:22 |  #641

Boss302 wrote in post #15901849 (external link)
Folks...there are two ways to make money in the photography world. You can either make money out of actually producing photographs, or you can get suckers to pay you for your so called knowledge... Nowadays, there are a whole lot more people making money off of writing books, training, and teaching photography than those making money off of actually making photographs. The whole business is upside down now and preying on the ignorant who think they need to read one more book or watch one more video and then they will finally be a competent photographer.

The best thing you can do to learn is just get out there and do it. You don't need another lame ass photography book or video.

I'm embarrassed to say this, but your right. There's times where i flick through the photo magazines in newsagents and i pretty much forget everything i've read, once I'm holding my camera :o

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

May 06, 2013 06:22 |  #642

Yesterday I had my first experience on the 5D III, a friend lent me his machine just for the soirée.
The difference to my 5D II is remarkable. I did not quite have the time to master the AF so I obviously blew some shots where the camera did not know what it was supposed to consider as the main subject.
On the 5D II I use the joystick a lot and I noticed I can do the same on the 5D III.
He also gave me his 24mm f/1.4 and, well, I cried when I gave it back

Now to my question:
AS I have a bit a hard time justifying 3000 dollars for the 5D III I would like to know from somebody who has used the 6D and the 5D III how much diference there is in real life in AF speed and accuracy and ability to focus in low light. Is it something that justifies the 1500 dollar difference in price?

I am not a pro, I do not do any high-speed sports stuff.
User's opinion, from real-life situation, please.

bag

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

May 06, 2013 06:52 |  #643
bannedPermanent ban

garbidz wrote in post #15902170 (external link)
Now to my question:
AS I have a bit a hard time justifying 3000 dollars for the 5D III I would like to know from somebody who has used the 6D and the 5D III how much diference there is in real life in AF speed and accuracy and ability to focus in low light. Is it something that justifies the 1500 dollar difference in price?

Just consider this -

5D2 has a total of 9 AF points with 1 crosstype center point and 8 non-crosstypes.

6D has a total of 11 AF points with also 1 crosstype @ the center (with extra -3EV sensitivity) and 10 non-crosstypes.

5D3 has a total of 61 AF points with 41 of them being crosstypes and 20 non-crosstypes.

Not to mention 6 different AF cases to suit different AF needs and 6 different AF modes (spots, single point, 4/8 expansion mode etc).

Do I really need to say more?

Personally I used to own a 5D2 and having a mere 2 extra NON-CROSSTYPE points on the 6D doesn't make any significant impact for me. I won't even call it an upgrade. I mean 7D has 19 AF points being all crosstypes. Even a 650D has 9 all crosstype points.

Tbh the difference is night and day...

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

May 06, 2013 07:24 |  #644

kin2son wrote in post #15902219 (external link)
Just consider this -

5D2 has a total of 9 AF points with 1 crosstype center point and 8 non-crosstypes.

6D has a total of 11 AF points with also 1 crosstype @ the center (with extra -3EV sensitivity) and 10 non-crosstypes.

5D3 has a total of 61 AF points with 41 of them being crosstypes and 20 non-crosstypes.

Not to mention 6 different AF cases to suit different AF needs and 6 different AF modes (spots, single point, 4/8 expansion mode etc).

Do I really need to say more?

Personally I used to own a 5D2 and having a mere 2 extra NON-CROSSTYPE points on the 6D doesn't make any significant impact for me. I won't even call it an upgrade. I mean 7D has 19 AF points being all crosstypes. Even a 650D has 9 all crosstype points.

Tbh the difference is night and day...

OK. Heard you loud and clear. Just that I have to put some money aside now...starting now.
In fact I WANT the 5 D III. I love the feel, the sound, the weight, the weatherproofing, everything. OK 3000 bucks...I'll get it eventually.
Thanks.

bag

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 06, 2013 08:09 |  #645

Boss302 wrote in post #15901849 (external link)

+1

Lots of people out there on blogs, websites, online communities, published in books, etc... who call themselves experts that really aren't.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

sponsored links

112,191 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.