Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 05, 2013 14:42 |  #1186

windpig wrote in post #15900069 (external link)
It looks like your flash is being used as fill to me and that the ratio isn't high enough (to much fill). The sun isn't far enough behind the subjects to be accent and looks to be the main light.

I think that's more or less what I just said. The CL-180 could probably have been backed off a little, but I did want to pop UZI relative to the background.

It would have been ideal to have the sun a bit more around in back but the path was were it was and UZI was an impatient subject. After about three tries he was ready to go do something else. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
15,342 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 05, 2013 14:52 |  #1187

dmward wrote in post #15900222 (external link)
I think that's more or less what I just said. The CL-180 could probably have been backed off a little, but I did want to pop UZI relative to the background.

It would have been ideal to have the sun a bit more around in back but the path was were it was and UZI was an impatient subject. After about three tries he was ready to go do something else. :-)

dmward wrote in post #15899409 (external link)
My general lighting scheme is to place the light opposite the sun and then move the camera about 30 to 45* off that line so the sun is quartering backlight kicker and strobe is quartering main light.

Hmm, not sure about more or less. "Sun is quarter backlight, strobe is main"

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 05, 2013 14:53 |  #1188

Bobby, here are some test shots to see what power settings on the CL-180 do relative to strong sun from behind.

1/6400, ISO 50, 24mm F1.4 wide open.

First one is full power (one finger raised). Next one is half power (2 fingers)

Next post will be quarter power and a pull back shot.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 05, 2013 14:55 |  #1189

and quarter power and pull back

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 05, 2013 15:00 |  #1190

windpig wrote in post #15900252 (external link)
Hmm, not sure about more or less. "Sun is quarter backlight, strobe is fill"

Actually the light is opposite the sun. Given the position of the dog it appears to be closer to camera axis. One takes what one can get in some situations with uncooperative subjects. :-)

The point of these examples is to illustrate the usefulness of a CL-180 in H mode when shooting outside on a sunny day. Let's stay focused on that. These are not works of art. They do illustrate that the CL-180 is a useful tool.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 05, 2013 21:04 |  #1191

Still not my taste. Bare bulb is still very small source and it is much harder to nail the final shot than when using bigger modifiers. I like what Frank Doorhef (spelling) does with bare bulb and sun.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 05, 2013 21:16 |  #1192

I have another data point to toss in the hopper:

I was *really* hoping this grid would fit the CL-180 standard reflector:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …oneycomb_Grid_4​_5_20.html (external link)

I was at B&H today and, unfortunately, it does not. The grid diameter is one or two mm too large. Drat!

Gareth ­ O'Neill
42 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 05, 2013 21:29 as a reply to  @ tetrode's post |  #1193

I'm sure if enough people request it, honey grids will make some. Their grids are good.

Or you could DIY

http://www.honeycombgr​ids.com/diy-grid-panels (external link)

kidsphotos.co.nz (external link)

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 05, 2013 21:52 |  #1194

Gareth ONeill wrote in post #15901331 (external link)
=Gareth O'Neill;15901331]I'm sure if enough people request it, honey grids will make some. Their grids are good.

Or you could DIY

http://www.honeycombgr​ids.com/diy-grid-panels (external link)

See the image on this page:

http://www.adorama.com​/HGE15.html (external link)

That's MY photo of MY Maxilite with a Honeygrid. It took three tries to get a grid that fit. Not sure I'd want to risk reliving that experience.

Gareth ­ O'Neill
42 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 05, 2013 22:20 |  #1195

LOL, lets go on and on about it on here then and maybe they'll take the hint.

kidsphotos.co.nz (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 05, 2013 22:34 |  #1196

bobbyz wrote in post #15901272 (external link)
Still not my taste. Bare bulb is still very small source and it is much harder to nail the final shot than when using bigger modifiers. I like what Frank Doorhef (spelling) does with bare bulb and sun.

Bobby, first any tube is a small light source relative to a subject. Butting modifiers on any light is going to affect its output. Making the source larger means spreading the power of the tube over a larger area. The same is true with a CL-180 or a 1200Ws Profoto head.

FD uses Elinchrom lights, at least for his Kelby Training videos. Almost always in the shade with reflectors, sometimes a small soft box.

It would be easy to replicate the FD look with a CL-180, an Einstein, or even a speedlite.

The purpose of these examples is to illustrate how the CL-180 performs.

If I have time in the next couple of days, I'll find an FD image shot outside and replicate the look with a CL-180.

I just invested a few minutes going through FD's portfolio images on his website.
What is most significant is that he uses a lot of different lighting techniques to get the image he wants.
Also, there are almost no images that are outside in the sun with strobes for fill. At least nothing obvious. So, if he used strobe along with the sun he balanced them so well its not obvious.

Post some links please.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 05, 2013 23:17 |  #1197

Here is another image from the test shoot

HOSTED PHOTO

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 05, 2013 23:20 |  #1198

tetrode wrote in post #15901406 (external link)
See the image on this page:

http://www.adorama.com​/HGE15.html (external link)

That's MY photo of MY Maxilite with a Honeygrid. It took three tries to get a grid that fit. Not sure I'd want to risk reliving that experience.

I bought my 2 Honey Grids for my Fireballs early last Fall and they have 4 Velcro tabs you use to attach them to the reflectors with. They supply 4 Velcro pads that you stick to the reflector. I guess that way they fit a little loose and the Velcro keeps them from falling out.

Honeycombs are real easy to make smaller. I bought several deep grid reflectors and some grids from the same manufacturer but I found that the grids I bought were just a bit too large for my deep reflectors as they were designed to fit their standard reflectors. The seller offered to take them back as I have done a lot of business with them but I decided to see if I could make them fit. All you have to do is just drill out one of the rivets where the outside ring is joined together. Remove the honeycomb and with a stationary belt sander sand it to fit the circumference of the reflector. With a hack saw cut the end off the ring so it is the correct circumfrence and drill a new hole for a rivet. Reinstall the honeycomb grid and install a new pop rivet. It takes less than 10 minutes per grid.

Rand

Gear

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2013 17:59 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #1199

I thought I'd share my battery pack hanger "solution" since finding a good way to attach the Lithium 4500 pack to a light stand riser is a subject of interest to many. While there are a number of good off-the-shelf clamps such as the nice but pricey Bolt pack holder from B&H (http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …g_clamp_for_por​table.html (external link)), I really wanted to find something less expensive.

Enter the studio "C" clamp:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7339/8719126718_efeb1775a4_b.jpg

Clamps like the one pictured are all over eBay. This one cost $9 (http://www.adorama.com​/RGCZCL35F.html (external link)).

Notice that the 5/8" receptor is attached to the clamp with two screws. That's important. The attached receptor or stud must be removable.

Remove the screws and receptor (or stud):

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7334/8719126684_bcf3a72c7c_b.jpg

The mod, if you can call it that, is now done. Secure the clamp to the lightstand riser:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7350/8718008573_88782d5ddc_b.jpg

And hang the pack:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7368/8719126692_daabf75540_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7344/8719126672_649e05ea1d_b.jpg

Notice that the pack has a very limited range of motion and, consequently, cannot bang against the stand riser column. I think this is a pretty good and economical way to mount a battery pack.

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 07, 2013 22:06 as a reply to  @ tetrode's post |  #1200

Great work Dave!

Off topic but you know I have also searched everywhere for a female 5/8" connector like the part you discarded from that clamp. Shame that one doesn't have a 1/4" threaded hole in the centre of the base or it would be perfect. Its the closest I've seen for now though, thanks.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

sponsored links

1,390,141 views & 273 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.