Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 May 2013 (Sunday) 23:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

moving images from LR4 to photoshop with changes (metadata) attached

regnis
456 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

May 05, 2013 23:43 |  #1

Hi guys can someone plz tell me how to do this? I have an image that I have edited in LR4 and want to take it across to PS5 to remove an object. I can take it across fine but the changes are not coming with the image and it is just resorting back to the original import.

I have right clicked on the image in LR4 and "saved metadata to file" which provides a sidecar xmp file but file just resorts back to original import when in PS5.

Plz Help!

---Adam--- Facebook (external link)
Canon 1Dx MK II, Canon 5Dmk3 x 2, Sony A7sII, Tamron 24-70 VC, Canon 35 f1.4 II, Zeiss 35-70 f3.4, Sigma 50 f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II Canon 135L f2, Tamron 150-600 SP VC,

sponsored links
Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 05, 2013 23:51 |  #2

Right click on the image in LR and choose edit in Photoshop.

If you're trying to work on the file in LR then go to photoshop and using file>open to open the file you will not have the LR adjustments. LR does not save the adjustments in a sidecar like PS does. It saves those adjustments to the library file. You have to export the image to get them or choose the edit in PS option.

edited to add.. one other thing. If you choose the open as smart object option when you right click in LR it will place your image in a layer that can still be adjusted like you would in LR. It can be handy if you need to make additional changes like that, rather than having to go all the way back to the original file.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 06, 2013 00:01 |  #3

Right click image -> Export to Photoshop

A window should pop up with three options
Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments (applies a copy of adjustments before making a copy)
Edit a Copy (copy of original file, no Lightroom adjustments)
Edit Original (edit original file, no Lightroom adjustments)

Select the first choice, Edit a Copy. A copy will open up in Photoshop and it will look the same as the edited file in Lightroom.

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

regnis
THREAD ­ STARTER
456 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

May 06, 2013 01:43 |  #4

thanks for the info guys.

my problem is that i'm using LR4 on one computer and PS5 on another. I therefore need to export it as a file to external hard drive.Is there a simple way I can do this with the metadata attached?

---Adam--- Facebook (external link)
Canon 1Dx MK II, Canon 5Dmk3 x 2, Sony A7sII, Tamron 24-70 VC, Canon 35 f1.4 II, Zeiss 35-70 f3.4, Sigma 50 f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II Canon 135L f2, Tamron 150-600 SP VC,

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 06, 2013 06:16 |  #5

File > Export...

Choose "hard drive" as destination, don't resize, use either jpg, tif or psd, depending on what you want.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Lil ­ Red ­ Wolf
87 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 06, 2013 06:23 |  #6

you can also click on PHOTO, > EDIT IN, and you should get that same pop up window that Rubi Jane mentions.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,056 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 06, 2013 09:03 |  #7

If you are using LR4 and PV2012 and then trying to open the image in ACR6.X you are unlikely to see any changes made to the basic section of the devlope pannel, the PV's are not compatible. The very last update of ACR 6 is partially compatible but requires a manual updade, I think it is V 6.7.something. Also if you are writing the metadata to file, is the image already on the external drive or are you moving it there using the OS? If you are moving it yourself are you also putting the sidecar xmp file in the folder with the CR2 file? With no correspondingly named xmp file in the folder you will not have the edits.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 09, 2013 13:00 |  #8

regnis wrote in post #15901867 (external link)
thanks for the info guys.

my problem is that i'm using LR4 on one computer and PS5 on another. I therefore need to export it as a file to external hard drive.Is there a simple way I can do this with the metadata attached?

You cannot export it as a RAW file or save as a RAW file with changes from Lightroom that I know of because of the way LR work with the library. Your best bet then, since you're working on 2 different computers, would be to just use Camera RAW in PS on that computer to process your RAW files. It's the same RAW processor as LR.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,056 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 09, 2013 13:37 |  #9

Mavgirl wrote in post #15915021 (external link)
You cannot export it as a RAW file or save as a RAW file with changes from Lightroom that I know of because of the way LR work with the library. Your best bet then, since you're working on 2 different computers, would be to just use Camera RAW in PS on that computer to process your RAW files. It's the same RAW processor as LR.

The thing is that if you go with using ACR 6.x in CS5 you lose Process Version 2012, which may or may not be important to you. The simple answer is to export the file using the export command. Select either 16 bit .PSD or .TIFF as you prefer (I use PSD files). You should also ensure that you export it in ProPhotoRGB colour space. Make sure that you have selected to keep all metadata, and turn off output sharpening. You will also need to manually import the File back into LR. You will be able to edit the file using PSCS5 on the other machine, and LR will automatically pick up the changes as long as you save not save as. This will then be the exact same situation that you would have been in if you were using PS on the same machine as LR and had used the edit in command. When you use the edit in command to edit in PS the file is opened as a 16 bit file in PS but it retains the CR2 suffix until you hit the save command for the first time. At which point it is saved as either a .PSD or .TIFF depending on your preferences, and automatically imported and stacked next to the original CR2 file in the Library. I actually have an export preset set up to do this as at times I have issues with LR4/ACR6.7 compatibility which causes artifacts to appear on high contrast edges. By doing the export manually it ensures that LR4 correctly renders the file to a .PSD.

Alan

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 10, 2013 11:48 |  #10

BigAl007 wrote in post #15915165 (external link)
The thing is that if you go with using ACR 6.x in CS5 you lose Process Version 2012, which may or may not be important to you. The simple answer is to export the file using the export command. Select either 16 bit .PSD or .TIFF as you prefer (I use PSD files). You should also ensure that you export it in ProPhotoRGB colour space. Make sure that you have selected to keep all metadata, and turn off output sharpening. You will also need to manually import the File back into LR. You will be able to edit the file using PSCS5 on the other machine, and LR will automatically pick up the changes as long as you save not save as. This will then be the exact same situation that you would have been in if you were using PS on the same machine as LR and had used the edit in command. When you use the edit in command to edit in PS the file is opened as a 16 bit file in PS but it retains the CR2 suffix until you hit the save command for the first time. At which point it is saved as either a .PSD or .TIFF depending on your preferences, and automatically imported and stacked next to the original CR2 file in the Library. I actually have an export preset set up to do this as at times I have issues with LR4/ACR6.7 compatibility which causes artifacts to appear on high contrast edges. By doing the export manually it ensures that LR4 correctly renders the file to a .PSD.

Alan

Just update ACR in CS5. It's an easy download to get the current version.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 10, 2013 13:34 |  #11

Mavgirl wrote in post #15918373 (external link)
Just update ACR in CS5. It's an easy download to get the current version.

No.
Last version in CS5 is ACR6.7, not ACR7.x, so you will get close, not identical.

http://members.lightro​omqueen.com …sion-of-acr-and-photoshop (external link)

http://forums.adobe.co​m/message/4289150 (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 10, 2013 14:46 |  #12

René Damkot wrote in post #15918673 (external link)
No.
Last version in CS5 is ACR6.7, not ACR7.x, so you will get close, not identical.

If you have CS5/ACR 6.x, there is one advantage to downloading/installing the "special" upgrade to ACR 6, and that is that from Lightroom you can choose multiple files to "Edit in Photoshop" and functions will be available for those multiple files (stitching, HDR, blending, etc).

The actual Process Version for ACR 6.x is the earlier PV 2010, and this older "incompatibility" worked against the following functions since they applied Lightroom Raw edits as they did the transfer and for some reason ACR didn't want to "cooperate", but the special upgrade made it possible.

But, as Al has noted, you need to manually download and install the upgrade. Right now I'm on my laptop without PS CS5 so I can't quickly find the version number for a search, maybe someone with CS5 on hand can provide it!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 10, 2013 14:57 |  #13

René Damkot wrote in post #15918673 (external link)
No.

Interesting. The Macs I use on campus have CS5 and a later version of ACR. I know, I had to get them to install the ACR update so I could process the RAW files from my 6D which needs at least ACR 7.3.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,056 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 10, 2013 17:37 |  #14

Even with the last 6.7 version of ACR when opening to CS5 from LR4 you only have limited compatibility with PV2012. It seems to honour the new controls in the basic panel, but if you choose to open as a Smart object, you find that you only have the PV2010 controls available. As a consequence I never use open as Smart object. Also as I have noted before at times I also seem to suffer from stair stepping artifacts around non vertical/horizontal very high contrast edges. Some times it is so bad that I have to resort to having LR export the image to disk as a 16 bit PSD, which is then perfectly fine. It is obviously due to the fact that PSCS is obviously using ACR to render the image that is opened, not using LR.

As to being able to open 6D files in PSCS 5, I do not know how your school/college/univers​ity has done this but Adobe do not and never have supported new cameras with ACR updates for "old" versions. Once a new version is out that is it no more updates for things like new cameras. ACR 7.x will only run with PSCS 6.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Joined Sep 2011

May 10, 2013 20:47 |  #15

regnis wrote in post #15901667 (external link)
Hi guys can someone plz tell me how to do this? I have an image that I have edited in LR4 and want to take it across to PS5 to remove an object. I can take it across fine but the changes are not coming with the image and it is just resorting back to the original import.

I have right clicked on the image in LR4 and "saved metadata to file" which provides a sidecar xmp file but file just resorts back to original import when in PS5.

Plz Help!

Here is a suggestion. In LR make the changes you want, then create a virtual copy with the LR settings you want carried over. Export the virtual copy to file as a Tiff or .psd. Transfer the Tiff file to PS5 and do what you need there. Then if wanted the finished Tiff can be transferred and reimported into LR, or just converted to jpeg from PS.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

sponsored links

2,228 views & 0 likes for this thread
moving images from LR4 to photoshop with changes (metadata) attached
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.