Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe goes Subscription only

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 06, 2013 13:01 |  #1

Looks like you are going to the Creative Cloud whether you like it or not!

http://techcrunch.com …ses-shrink-wrapped-boxes/ (external link)

No more boxed Photoshop.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links
Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,649 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

May 06, 2013 13:15 |  #2

I was afraid they might do this.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 06, 2013 13:24 as a reply to  @ Colorblinded's post |  #3

I really don't like the cloud and I have no idea why they are doing this.

It is probably the worst idea since the solar powered flashlight.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

May 06, 2013 13:28 |  #4

I think it's because of all the cracked versions, cloud would be easier to control that stuff. People will always find away around it though.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 06, 2013 13:34 |  #5

I have no real issue with digital download services. I rarely buy software in boxes these days. Actually I haven't bought software in a box in at least a year, if not two, and the last 4 years boxed software titles have been few and far between for me.

Why on earth would I want to buy a box only to have to go online and download patches and fixes that are almost as big as the program itself? By the time I've drive to the store, picked up my software, paid for it, and gotten home, I could likely have bought and downloaded most software packages without leaving my home.

As long as they stay client side processing with simple subscription checking, then I have no strong issues with it. I just wish I could pick say, light room and photoshop elements for $15-20 a month and get continual upgrades on it.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 06, 2013 13:34 |  #6

maverick75 wrote in post #15903422 (external link)
I think it's because of all the cracked versions, cloud would be easier to control that stuff. People will always find away around it though.

Overpricing leads to discontent, discontent leads to rebellion, rebellion leads to cracking.

If Adobe stops being so greedy, I'm sure more people would pay for their products instead of cracking them. The same goes for all other software developers.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 06, 2013 13:40 |  #7

Osiriz wrote in post #15903439 (external link)
Overpricing leads to discontent, discontent leads to rebellion, rebellion leads to cracking.

If Adobe stops being so greedy, I'm sure more people would pay for their products instead of cracking them.

Yes, because software development of a project the scale of just one title from Adobe is a simple and cheap process...

The subscription based service is there way of 'being less greedy' and charging 'less' per person. I'm not willing to shell out $600 for a software title I will use fairly casually, even if I will use it for five or six years. I am however very happy to shell out a far smaller amount every month. It becomes a cost of living/entertainment, easily justified, rather than a hard to justify large initial investment.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500

waylandcool
486 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 06, 2013 13:41 |  #8

I'm betting the fact that Photoshop is one of most pirated software titles out there has a lot to do with it. Companies like mine are going to hate this as our firewalls block a lot of the updaters for Adobe apps as it is.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Joined May 2012

May 06, 2013 13:43 |  #9

Luckless wrote in post #15903438 (external link)
I have no real issue with digital download services. I rarely buy software in boxes these days. Actually I haven't bought software in a box in at least a year, if not two, and the last 4 years boxed software titles have been few and far between for me.

Why on earth would I want to buy a box only to have to go online and download patches and fixes that are almost as big as the program itself? By the time I've drive to the store, picked up my software, paid for it, and gotten home, I could likely have bought and downloaded most software packages without leaving my home.

As long as they stay client side processing with simple subscription checking, then I have no strong issues with it. I just wish I could pick say, light room and photoshop elements for $15-20 a month and get continual upgrades on it.

Cloud is completely different from digital download, on a cloud you never have the item on your computer it's hosted somewhere else.

Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

May 06, 2013 13:47 |  #10

Saw this coming. I have started to ween myself from Adobe as much as possible even in a professional capacity for the last few years. They changed long ago, moving to the MS way of software which has doomed them to the same fate.

It's a sinking ship, all ye abandoned now ;-)a

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 06, 2013 13:53 |  #11

maverick75 wrote in post #15903470 (external link)
Cloud is completely different from digital download, on a cloud you never have the item on your computer it's hosted somewhere else.

Except it isn't... Photoshop and such is still run directly on the user's computer itself. "Cloud" is a marketing term and nothing more. It is horribly abused term that is quickly becoming rather meaningless.

waylandcool
486 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 06, 2013 13:53 |  #12

maverick75 wrote in post #15903470 (external link)

I have the Creative Cloud, the applications are installed locally. The Cloud name refers to being able to pull down applications from the cloud to your PC at will as well as all of the web intergration built in.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Joined May 2012

May 06, 2013 13:57 |  #13

Ah I see, thanks! I thought it was like all the other clouds, I like Amazon's a lot actually.

Casual
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined May 2013

May 06, 2013 14:02 as a reply to  @ maverick75's post |  #14

Right now lightroom 4 upgrades are only about $100... if thats the only program you use and you need creative cloud its $20/month? $240/year?? Seems like a pretty hefty jump...

5DMKIII|50D|17-40L|24-105L|50 f1.4|100 f2.0 Macro|70-300 f4-5.6|Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

May 06, 2013 14:09 |  #15

Luckless wrote in post #15903459 (external link)
The subscription based service is there way of 'being less greedy' and charging 'less' per person. I'm not willing to shell out $600 for a software title I will use fairly casually, even if I will use it for five or six years. I am however very happy to shell out a far smaller amount every month. It becomes a cost of living/entertainment, easily justified, rather than a hard to justify large initial investment.

But it isn't 'less per person'. Yes, it is cheaper up front, but if you want to use it for five or six years on a casual basis, it will cost you way more in the long term, even allowing for the updates not being charged for, when the next version comes out. And, of course, in six years time your financial situation has changed and you decide to cancel the subscription, you no longer have photoshop at all. Many people use one version for many years.

In effect, this will hurt those on a budget the most. Those who would buy photoshop and use it for six or seven years between updates. This essentially forces users into (the equivalent of) upgrading to every version at a premium price.

One other feature, which has proved to be a PITA for me, is that I often need to work away from the Internet and if you aren't online when it decides to check your subscription, you are SOL for being able to use it. I only discovered this the first time I spent a week in my hillside holiday home in deepest Wales, I don't have Internet access and the first time I tried to use photoshop I got shut down. I was really pi$$ed off, I can say. Those using cracked versions for nothing have no problem, but paying the subscription got me blocked out.

sponsored links

115,507 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe goes Subscription only
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.