Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe goes Subscription only

Refill
177 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 06, 2013 16:05 as a reply to  @ post 15903983 |  #61

If you could subscribe for 1 month only, it would be more fair. Say 30/month for one month, 20/month for 12 months. For amateurs who need to use PS only after their family visit or holidays, this could be perfect, something like 1-2 months a year.

Going by their logic ("pay for use"), you should have the choice to pay for some days only!?

sponsored links
Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

May 06, 2013 16:06 |  #62

Mark-B wrote in post #15903983 (external link)
What are you using instead?

After years of using Aperture instead of Lightroom, I was just starting to move back to LR. I may hold off on that now. I guess DPP, Capture One Express, and a few others are reasonable alternatives.

I've kept a current copy of Pixelmator around even though I have a licensed copy of Photoshop. I could stick with that, but it would take some adjusting. It's great software, but less responsive and lacking a few features.

Yeah, I have bounced back and forth between the two several times, but always ended up in Apertures court. The last version coupled with a new rMBP has finally made things live able speed wise for most things, but start cloning at 100% view and see how long that takes to bring your entire machine down.

My hope is that we're due to hear things from Apple with regards to Aperture 4

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 06, 2013 16:07 as a reply to  @ post 15903986 |  #63

As some others have said, Adobe is running low on new ideas, so people won't upgrade, and now Adobe wants to force people into upgrading.

Sorry Adobe, your plan won't work. At least not on me.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

May 06, 2013 16:08 |  #64

OK, so I think I'm pissed off at Adobe acting like an internet pron web site... I have LR4 and was just about to buy CS6 with my teacher's discount. Make that $300 or so, plus maybe $100 to upgrade to LR5.
Now, I'm looking at $240 a year and, guess what, I don't upgrade my software that often to break even.

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

May 06, 2013 16:10 |  #65

Well that's pointless, they are going to hurt the business more by doing this rather than using the buying a "box" model.
If they can provide a single software for this "cloud" price then why can't they provide the software for this price. If I just wanted photoshop I can get it for "cloud" at $288NZD but the buy out price is for CS6 is over 1K. Huh that makes no sense.

The software gets download to your machine and you launch the app it's running from your machine, however I am sure the software is designed to upgraded at the will of adobe and if you need to reinstall for whatever reason you have to download. That's bandwidth I would have to pay for. Plus it's going to be upgraded when it's wants too and not when I want it too.

Since the app is downloaded I am sure someone will modify photoshop to run with no internet connection and no registration. Things like this wont stop those who hack it to run without paying for it.

Of course NZ isn't listed so at the moment I can't buy it even if I wanted too.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,305 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 06, 2013 16:22 |  #66

woos wrote in post #15903974 (external link)
Good luck w/that, Adobe. Love the use of the "cloud" buzzword when in reality there's nothing "cloud" about it, either. (Which is okay, the whole cloud thing is essentially a scam anyway)...

Cloud computing has been around for a very long time but is nothing like what many today are trying to sell as cloud services. Adobe's abuse of the term is about as bad as I have seen.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 06, 2013 16:30 |  #67

Lightroom will still be available outside of CC: http://blogs.adobe.com …d-the-creative-cloud.html (external link)

I don't like this, but I upgrade with most releases and if I only get the PS individual subscription $20/month ($10/month the first year) It really isn't that much more a year. I might do that and get LR by release.

I seriously doubt I'll get the full CC subscription at $50/month. Although I might go for the $20/month deal for the first year then switch to the individual. I can try out the video & web stuff that way. Also I could put off getting LR again for a year...

For those going to other software...where are you going to go?

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 06, 2013 16:34 as a reply to  @ ThreeGuysPhoto's post |  #68

Adobe goes to the cloud, I'll be going somewhere else.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 06, 2013 16:37 |  #69

Corbeau wrote in post #15904038 (external link)
OK, so I think I'm pissed off at Adobe acting like an internet pron web site... I have LR4 and was just about to buy CS6 with my teacher's discount. Make that $300 or so, plus maybe $100 to upgrade to LR5.
Now, I'm looking at $240 a year and, guess what, I don't upgrade my software that often to break even.

$240 / yr for a individual PS subscription? (50% off the first year if you have CS3 or newer)

It is $600 / yr for the CC subscription to get both PS & LR. (60% off first year if you have CS6 and 40% off first year if you have CS3 or newer)

-Wayne

GeoffSobering
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 06, 2013 16:37 as a reply to  @ post 15903880 |  #70

Casual wrote in post #15903554 (external link)
Right now lightroom 4 upgrades are only about $100... if thats the only program you use and you need creative cloud its $20/month? $240/year?? Seems like a pretty hefty jump...

Luckless wrote in post #15903745 (external link)
Yeah, pricing on lightroom alone is rather sketchy, but I'm personally thinking of just biting the bullet and going for a whole subscription. ...

LOL, I think "rather sketchy" has to be the most dramatic understatement I've read in some time! ;)

I just got done with a chat at Adobe.com. The rep couldn't say if LR was a full $20/mo app or something else. I guess I shouldn't be surprised...

FWIW, LR isn't on the list of single-apps:
https://creative.adobe​.com/plans?plan=single (external link)

My hope is it will be a lower cost item like Muse or Edge, or perhaps included with PS.

For now I won't be upgrading to PS6 (as I planned) until I can find out how much staying with Adobe will cost me going forward. I guess I should start looking at alternatives. :( Maybe I'll install the latest DPP and try it...

http://moving-target-photos.com/ (external link) - My Stuff

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 06, 2013 16:39 |  #71

I'm curious how many people complaining are professional photographers who insist on a licensing model for their own work.

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 06, 2013 16:42 |  #72

GeoffSobering wrote in post #15904129 (external link)
FWIW, LR isn't on the list of single-apps:
https://creative.adobe​.com/plans?plan=single (external link)

This is because it will still be available with its own releases.

http://blogs.adobe.com …d-the-creative-cloud.html (external link)

-Wayne

GeoffSobering
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 06, 2013 16:42 |  #73

charro callado wrote in post #15904138 (external link)
I'm curious how many people complaining are professional photographers who insist on a licensing model for their own work.

My licensing terms are almost always "perpetual".

I'm pretty sure I did a time-limited one once or twice, but I can't remember what it was for.

GeoffSobering
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 06, 2013 16:45 |  #74

ThreeGuysPhoto wrote in post #15904155 (external link)
This is because it will still be available with its own releases.

http://blogs.adobe.com …d-the-creative-cloud.html (external link)

Many thanks for the link!
That's the most cogent discussion on LR & CC I've seen so far.

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 06, 2013 16:47 |  #75

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #15903986 (external link)
I wonder if this is a reaction to the latest versions of Photoshop being incremental upgrades and thus having lower upgrade numbers. If people can't be convinced to upgrade to take advantage of content-aware improvements, take that out of the equation and require EVERYONE to upgrade. I'd put money on CS8 being even moreso marginal in features added, simply because wow-pow features are no longer needed to compel a purchase.

I'm not convinced this will combat piracy like many are claiming. This seems just a crackable as any other form of DRM. This isn't like SimCity, with its persistant world housed on a remote server, this is little more than a license check - license check systems can be, and currently are, being fooled.

EDIT: Woos types much faster than me.

Hahaha, typing really fast may be the one thing I'm good at. The one useful thing I got out of all those years of Everquest in the early 2000's! Well, that and a large weird vocabulary, right?

And I think even SimCity can be cracked to run offline, there was some hooplah about it a while back. Though I'm not sure, I don't play SimCity. But supposedly all the stuff in the world is (or can be) calculated locally. I buy my games (Crysis 3 was the last thing I bought that was really worth the money). Gotta say though, if I had bought SimCity I'd have no qualms about applying a crack that let me play off line and not be annoyed w/the always on requirements.

Adobe does good work but the problem is that in the raw processing realm, there is a lot of good choices right now. And CS4/5/6 are all so similar that unless you are using some of the new features, there simply doesn't seem to be a lot that'd compel someone to upgrade. People talk about businesses being the target market. I just don't see that. I work at a small business and shoot, we still use Windows XP (and we are in a business related to photo).

If you are going to hafta change to keep using Camera Raw, at that point it's not such a stretch to just change to something else entirely and just stick w/your version of Photoshop that you are using. People that think that Adobe will back down though, I don't think they will. At least not for a while. All it will do is increase piracy. The big thing people are missing as well is that you can't wait for a special and purchase it, any longer. Or buy a used copy off of e-bay from someone who just decided all they wanted was Elements or Lightroom. Or buy a super super cheap copy of CS4 or CS5 (or a used copy of CS5 or whatnot). This will put a stop to any of that. This removes all the cheap ways to get a legal copy. And it removes your ability to sell it later if you switch to using diff software.

Maybe they'll do something like make certain features run on the server and then claim "they are too computationally intensive for your local PC" to justify a monthly fee? That'd be a good ploy for a tablet version, anyway.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

sponsored links

115,094 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe goes Subscription only
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.