Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe goes Subscription only

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 07, 2013 03:10 |  #136

Shadowblade wrote in post #15905743 (external link)
Depends what you shoot.

Lightroom is the bread-and-butter of the event, wedding and sports photographer, and other high-volume work. PS is the tool of the landscape photographer, the studio/fashion/adverti​sing photographer and the fine art photographer.

Definitely depends on what you shoot. My style of photography isn't all that refined, so I can get away with just the tools available in LR. Doesn't have all that much to do with high volume and it's cataloging features, but I'm very comfortable with the raw development options and localized adjustment options it offers. In 95% of the cases for me that's enough.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

sponsored links
kiss-o-matic
Goldmember
1,738 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 07, 2013 03:59 |  #137

Luckless wrote in post #15903459 (external link)
The subscription based service is there way of 'being less greedy' and charging 'less' per person. I'm not willing to shell out $600 for a software title I will use fairly casually, even if I will use it for five or six years. I am however very happy to shell out a far smaller amount every month. It becomes a cost of living/entertainment, easily justified, rather than a hard to justify large initial investment.

So you'll spend more money in the long run?

lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 07, 2013 04:09 |  #138

woos wrote in post #15905477 (external link)
That's what it looks like, on the first part. However they are saying that LR5 will continue to be available as a stand alone regular for-purchase perpetual license app.

My guess is that they probably have no idea if LR6 will be subscription only or not. Yet. I bet that will depend on how successful the subscription model for Photoshop is and what their numbers show.

My bet is they'll tweak the hell out of their pricing models and try to ease people into a sub for LR6. I think that they'll throw in some sort of "value added" features. My guesses are:

1. You'll subscribe and get some sort of online features. Partially online-based catalog with small compressed DNG files? Online settings sync or something? Shrug.
2. You'll be able to use a dumbed down lightroom on your tablet and you'll have to subscribe because they'll argue that "it offloads some processing to the server because the tablet isn't fast enough" or some such nonsense like that. If you don't subscribe you can't use the tablet version.
3. The subscriber version will get new camera support quicker. They'll argue that "we can't devote the resources to release the updates at the same time"

Those are a few guesses. Then if they get enough subs, the next version will roll around to sub only. That's my theory. lol

I'm betting that LR will eventually go down the subscription route. If that happens, then I'm going to consider moving to Aperture (and buy a Mac!) because I don't want to subscribe to something. I want to own it and use it whenever I want.

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 07, 2013 04:09 |  #139

kiss-o-matic wrote in post #15905813 (external link)
So you'll spend more money in the long run?

For many people it hurts less if you pay per month. Kind of similar to mobile phone subscriptions - at least here in the netherlands. You can buy an iphone 5 for 700 euros and get a sim-only subscription for ~12.50 a month (tco over 24 months = 1000), or you can get an iphone 5 with a monthly fee of 48 euros a month with the same subscription, effectively paying 150 euros more over 24 months (numbers are random examples, but this is what happens in practice).
The main difference here is that with a photoshop subscription, you can cancel it after 4 months and go for a competing product (not that there's many), and you always get the latest version afaik.

Personally I'd prefer a modular approach. I don't need the graphics designer / DTP stuff, nor do I need any of the extended features like 3D, or even any printing features.
If I'd ever like to use those, I'd be happy to pay a weekly amount that's relatively higher but not in my default subscription.
Imho they'd be smart for offering a light version and they could even go as far as to offer special limited time deals with.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 07, 2013 04:26 |  #140

Mark-B wrote in post #15905312 (external link)
I'm a CS6 user and it's unlikely that I would have upgraded to CS7, so I will continue to use my CS6 just like I would have anyway. Given their past 18 - 24 month release cycle and my choice to upgrade every other version, I would not have upgraded until around the end of 2014 anyway. That gives me plenty of time to see what happens next.

Same here.
I'll be using PS CS6 until I'm forced to upgrade (new Mac and/or OS which is incompatible) or until new "must have" features are added. Neither are very likely for the immediate future.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 07, 2013 05:13 |  #141

lsquare wrote in post #15905824 (external link)
I'm betting that LR will eventually go down the subscription route. If that happens, then I'm going to consider moving to Aperture (and buy a Mac!) because I don't want to subscribe to something. I want to own it and use it whenever I want.

Well, Aperture has been on it's current version for 3 years and is overdue for an update. If Lightroom did turn into a subscription product at $20/month, it would take about 10 years worth to equal the price of an iMac.

The best thing anyone could do right now would be to upgrade to the most recent boxed version of the products they use, resist signing up for a creative cloud subscription, and give Adobe a year or so to evaluate their plan.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

skippix
124 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 07, 2013 05:21 |  #142

Adobe annouces it will be subscription only...how do you feel about this?

If you use Photoshop and/or any other of the Adobe Creative Suite and you haven't already subscribed, your world is about to change...here's a summary (external link).

I've read a lot of pros and cons, and haven't quite decided how I feel. I've seen some math that makes it look terrible, I've seen some that makes it look like the best deal in the world from a business standpoint (especially being able to expense vs depreciate).

What's your opinion? Good, bad, ugly? How do you think this is going to impact your business?

Skip
feel free to visit my website (external link) | some resources (external link) | collections (external link) | epic panoramics (external link)
"If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably wind up somewhere else" - David Campbell, PhD

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 07, 2013 05:39 |  #143

ThreeGuysPhoto wrote in post #15904111 (external link)
Lightroom will still be available outside of CC: http://blogs.adobe.com …d-the-creative-cloud.html (external link)

Excellent. So LR + PSE will be cloud-free and perfectly adequate for me.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

May 07, 2013 06:04 |  #144

TweakMDS wrote in post #15905753 (external link)
Definitely depends on what you shoot. My style of photography isn't all that refined, so I can get away with just the tools available in LR. Doesn't have all that much to do with high volume and it's cataloging features, but I'm very comfortable with the raw development options and localized adjustment options it offers. In 95% of the cases for me that's enough.

Not even for the cataloging features - just for the speed and ease of mass processing of large numbers of files.

But it's near-useless for me, because it lacks fine, local controls and blending and masking options (e.g. for multiple exposures).

Which is a pity, because I only need the software a few times a year, after coming back from a big trip, and sometimes also like to use it on a laptop computer in the middle of nowhere, e.g. in a tent while snowed in on a mountain camp. To pay for a year-round subscription and not be able to use it if I'm away for longer than a month is almost a waste.

mattertea
227 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 07, 2013 06:41 |  #145

Adobe is not getting me to pay a monthly anything. Neither is YouTube. I'm sick of the monthly payments they are starting to add up. And if for some reason you get the subscription gl using it if your Internet goes out or you are traveling. Retarded plan to try and stop piracy when in reality the people who crack these applications aren't making money, rather are learning and developing the skills that will someday earn them enough money to justify paying for the program.

I thought they knew that people who pirate software are future customers.

Flickr (external link)
Sculpting Blog (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 07, 2013 07:05 |  #146

Shadowblade wrote in post #15905955 (external link)
But it's near-useless for me, because it lacks fine, local controls and blending and masking options (e.g. for multiple exposures).

Does PSE not have all of them?

I think we may see a huge increase in PSE sales as many people realise they don't actually need 99.9% of the stuff in PS.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,918 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

May 07, 2013 07:59 as a reply to  @ skippix's post |  #147

Can someone explain to me the one thing - is the requirement to be on-line will be present all the way? Because if that's true, then this sucks balls.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

May 07, 2013 08:01 as a reply to  @ skippix's post |  #148

No, the software will do a check-in with Big Brother once a month. And if you're in the field in the middle of nowhere, you're still good for six months.

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 07, 2013 08:06 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #149

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15904444 (external link)
I don't call myself a pro...

...The people that buy my artwork, pay me once, I don't charge them monthly.

So, in case you didn't notice :lol: I find your point odd.

So you're not in the potential population I described. And regardless, I was "wondering," not making any point.

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 07, 2013 08:09 |  #150

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #15904247 (external link)
Like how many people who are complaining that are professionals who license an image for a monthly fee then pull the license once the subscription defaults?

That's easy. Zero.

I find that VERY hard to believe.

sponsored links

113,347 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe goes Subscription only
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.