Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe goes Subscription only

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,953 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 07, 2013 09:26 |  #166

charro callado wrote in post #15906395 (external link)
I would think that many commercial fashion and product photographers license their work for a limited term - probably tied to the duration of an ad campaign. The point of my initial post was that I didn't know the number. I was wondering.

That would be charging per job, a one time license fee. The duration of the ad may be short or long but most are paid one time up front.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 07, 2013 09:28 |  #167

This just means I'll be using CS6 until it's no longer an effective tool, then I'll move on to another pixel editor. I refuse to rent my software. I'll upgrade to LR5 and once it moves to a subscription-based model as I'm sure it will, I'll be done with Adobe.

They might be the leader, but they're not the only game in town....

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,169 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 07, 2013 09:30 |  #168

So will Adobe be going all whack with all of their software? I just can't see Acrobat as a subscription.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 07, 2013 09:31 |  #169

gjl711 wrote in post #15906462 (external link)
That would be charging per job, a one time license fee. The duration of the ad may be short or long but most are paid one time up front.

And if you want to use it again, you pay again. So again, I see a distinction without a difference, at least between subscriptions and limited-term use licenses.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,582 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 07, 2013 09:37 |  #170

when you open the program your computer must have internet access, which then reaches out to Adobe servers to validate your version and allow you to use the program.

This is very helpful when you need to do work for a client, and the internet, provider, or router dies.
Very helpful indeed. :(

My God, "CyberBunker" could render half the Adobe subscribers in the world impotent just like they did Netflix and Amazon subscribers much of last month.

No, this is a terrible idea.

I have always had a REAL problem with things that I buy, pay for and in same cases build (PCs) being used by someone elses for there purposes, profit, and data mining.
I DO NOT LIKE BIG BROTHER. And I won't allow him access to my stuff. Heck I'd rather the GOV be watching than some jerkweed corporation.

IF Adobe needs a constant connection to me and my stuff for it to work, then I won't use Adobe.
Its my PC, my internet connection that I pay for and they can't have it for their uses. No.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 07, 2013 09:51 |  #171

I have bought CS4, CS5.5 and CS6 and I use those tools on a regular basis. I refuse to sign up for a subscription based service. This is just a revenue grab by Adobe. The problem is that I don't think this will backfire as much people think because their corporate and institutional customers will not care that much.

The people who will be most effected are the independents and small businesses. AKA, photographers.

Also, I don't believe this has anything to do with piracy. I don't see piracy being effected by this, it shouldn't be much more difficult than disabling activation.

I believe the subscription model is about a consistent revenue stream tied to the fact that Adobe is running out of innovative ideas to add to their products. It is in essence forced upgrades forever.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,582 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 07, 2013 09:54 |  #172

charro callado wrote in post #15906367 (external link)
Some licenses work that way. Most do not. I was referring the (probably) many professional photographers who license their work for a limited duration of time.

I think Most, I think the VAST Majority of license fees are one time. VAST MAJORITY.
Think of DVD and CD sales, think of Itunes, think of Android Market, think of literally ever piece of software you've ever purchased to date,. think of DRM as we know it until now.
All of this revolves around a one time fee, paid to activate and or get in hand a product.

I really do not think there are a lot of models that "license" work for a limited time.
I think it's particularly rare in the field of photography.

The reason my first reply to your first post on this mentioned it being "Odd" was I don;t think you've got this quite right.

You implied that some of us complaining were belly aching because we would have to pay, I made a clear point that many of us belly achers have been paying happily for years. If we did not want to pay, we'd be pirating. So that is NOT the issue.

You compared this subscription service to a license fee. I've been paying license fees for my entire adult life, and never has it been recurring. Ever. Never. not once.
This subscription fee is NOT analogous to a license fee. I doubt that many of us charge a repeating subscription for our services.

Lastly, if this was offered as an OPTION, this would not be a thread this long, and all the replies would; be from those interested and praising the option.

Maybe those mystery photographers that do have a long term subscription license for work, only offer that as an option. And thus, again, there would be no comparison.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 07, 2013 10:03 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #173

Twice in a week...I feel like I've dropped the soap in the community shower...no hugs, no kisses, no nothing.
First I read that Canon is holding off releasing it 7DmkII and it's 40mp behemoth until 2014, and, now Adobe is trying to grab me by the shot hairs. I don't even know what cloud computing is.

I'm a heavy CS6 user with an EDU license for me and my six kids...we use a lot of selections/layers and all that horse hockey. Any suggestions for options...other than coughing up the cash that is?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,169 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 07, 2013 10:08 |  #174

chauncey wrote in post #15906581 (external link)
I'm a heavy CS6 user with an EDU license for me and my six kids...we use a lot of selections/layers and all that horse hockey. Any suggestions for options...other than coughing up the cash that is?

Corel Paint Shop Pro does much of what Photoshop can do for a fraction of the price. We are talking as little as $50 for the most current version. It does layers and masks and cloning like Photoshop.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 07, 2013 10:15 |  #175

I just bought cs6 a few weeks ago. Sure hope it is not $609.00 down the drain. I saved for a long time for this. There is no way I can afford 50.00 a month for CS6. Then there is LR. Looks like I may have to stay with the current versions and never upgrade or switch to something else. :(

My FLickrPage (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 07, 2013 10:20 |  #176

chauncey wrote in post #15906581 (external link)

Simply go with the latest version you CAN get. Most of the much trumpeted "improvements" are not that wonderful, so its no hardship. I've just moved from PS7 to CS2 and the only thing that I'll really notice is the ability to stay with 16 bit with 99% of my post processing when previously it was 8 bit for most of the odds and ends.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 07, 2013 10:20 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #177

I know I'll be in the minority here if I even go for this but...

Over the weekend I was on the Adobe site looking to go from Photoshop Extended CS5 to CS6 and saw the $400 upgrade price and balked.

Two days later I see this.

My situation is a little different in that my wife is a Mac person and I'm a PC person so we've always had to buy two versions of the same software.

From what I've seen, with the subscription we can pay our $$ for both and activate two machines "on the cloud" with perpetual updates for as long as we want.

We'll spend quite a bit less than we would for our annual CSx to CSx+1 X 2 upgrades.

It's still expensive, but when was Adobe ever cheap?

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,209 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 07, 2013 10:23 |  #178

alann wrote in post #15906627 (external link)
I just bought cs6 a few weeks ago. Sure hope it is not $609.00 down the drain. I saved for a long time for this. There is no way I can afford 50.00 a month for CS6. Then there is LR. Looks like I may have to stay with the current versions and never upgrade or switch to something else. :(

$609 was just for Photoshop, right? For the cloud version of Photoshop it's 20/month not 50.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 07, 2013 10:27 |  #179

David Arbogast wrote in post #15906657 (external link)
$609 was just for Photoshop, right? For the cloud version of Photoshop it's 20/month not 50.

So doing it via the cloud, in about 5 years we will have paid twice over?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2013 10:29 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #180
bannedPermanent ban

I have always upgraded to the latest CS and am currently using CS6. I now realize this has probably been a mistake, especially considering how little I use it. This opened my eyes as to whether I need it at all at the current prices regardless of license or subscription.

Correcting an ongoing misconception I've seen on this thread and elsewhere, the subscription software will reside on your computer and operate regardless of internet connectivity. The only requirement is to "validate" your subscription via the internet once a month.

Dave

sponsored links

110,547 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe goes Subscription only
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.