Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 02 May 2013 (Thursday) 21:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Running and gunning with lighting gear?

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 05, 2013 11:18 as a reply to  @ post 15899548 |  #31

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here ya go nick.. I have not bought it yet..Im a cheapskate,, but this is the way to go... I use an avenger c- stand with removable base

http://www.vmlbracket.​com/ (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 05, 2013 11:32 |  #32

umphotography wrote in post #15899727 (external link)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here ya go nick.. I have not bought it yet..Im a cheapskate,, but this is the way to go... I use an avenger c- stand with removable base

Yeah, I have the original one actually. That's the one without the ability to use the superclamp. Just don't feel like spending another $45. But yeah, that looks the ideal setup since it can be installed anywhere on the light stand. I like the idea of using a shorter power cable too.

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 05, 2013 11:59 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #33

I figured I would post up some results. I spent 5 minutes trying to find parking, then another 5 minutes walking and running with the lighting gear, camera and shoulder bag to this location.

Not technically perfect or anything close to it. But it got the job done...

IMAGE: http://www.nicknphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/ingrid-and-juan-long-island-city-ny-wedding-1143.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.nicknphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/ingrid-and-juan-long-island-city-ny-wedding-1200.jpg

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 06, 2013 08:49 |  #34

nicksan wrote in post #15899548 (external link)
It wasn't that bad. But again, I wouldn't be able to walk a ton with it though and keep in mind I had no modifier with me and it's just one light.

There are a few things I need to figure out:
  • Need a better stand. I think I may look into the Cheetah stand with auto collapsing legs.
  • Best way to "attach" the VML to the stand. I have a bracket I bough that does a decent job, but it needs something to "sit" on, like part of the joint on a light stand that sticks out, etc.
  • I need better cable management. I had the cable dangling all over the place. What a mess.
Yeah, an assistant would be very helpful. Not in the cards I am afraid...

nicksan wrote in post #15899821 (external link)
I figured I would post up some results. I spent 5 minutes trying to find parking, then another 5 minutes walking and running with the lighting gear, camera and shoulder bag to this location.

The results look OK...I take it you just used the standard 7" reflector? The light looks pretty harsh. I think Mike had mentioned going the white BD route...that's something I would definitely consider - you will get some of the benefits of softer light with relatively little risk of having the rig fall over (unless its really windy).

I attach the VML to the stand with a Manfrotto super clamp (link (external link)). The 1/4-20 screw on the stud goes into the 1/4-20 threads on the underside of the VML, and the whole thing can be clamped onto the light stand anywhere that suits me. Then I just wrap the excess cording around the clamp and it keeps things nice and tidy.

It's definitely worth all the extra hassle to deal with a big light - I did a beach wedding last summer and there's noooooo way I would have been get a good handful of the shots without my Einstein/64" white PLM combo.

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 06, 2013 09:12 |  #35

charro callado wrote in post #15902468 (external link)
The results look OK...I take it you just used the standard 7" reflector? The light looks pretty harsh. I think Mike had mentioned going the white BD route...that's something I would definitely consider - you will get some of the benefits of softer light with relatively little risk of having the rig fall over (unless its really windy).

I attach the VML to the stand with a Manfrotto super clamp (link (external link)). The 1/4-20 screw on the stud goes into the 1/4-20 threads on the underside of the VML, and the whole thing can be clamped onto the light stand anywhere that suits me. Then I just wrap the excess cording around the clamp and it keeps things nice and tidy.

It's definitely worth all the extra hassle to deal with a big light - I did a beach wedding last summer and there's noooooo way I would have been get a good handful of the shots without my Einstein/64" white PLM combo.

Yeah, which is why I said it's no way near perfect. :)

I agree.These are just OK...kinda like at a "just get the job done" level. It's better than I would ever hope for with a speedlight though. I can dial down the harshness in post I suppose. Time was working against me, but that's no excuse. Time is ALWAYS working against the photographer at weddings!

Ironically, even though I live very close to the city, I really never do city weddings. I am usually in the suburbs shooting in greenery, etc, so it's not too often that I need the lighting rig beyond the speedlight, but this is absolutely something I want to get a better handle on b/c it just opens so many possibilities.

I started this thread because I wanted to find out from those who shoot alone with an assistant how they go about carrying strobes around. After trying it this past weekend, it's definitely a pain in the rear. But definitely doable. I just need a better system in place.

I have a Kacey BD. I should add though, it adds quite a bit of weight and the whole rig becomes "front" heavy, if you know what I mean. It makes it awkward to carry around. I'm 5'6" and am totally out of shape. :lol: I also have a Octabox too. But again, the rig becomes "front" heavy when attached to the Einstein.

This is all something I need to experiment with more. Practice, practice, practice. Once I have a routine down, I'm thinking it'll get better.

I'll check out the PLM. If it's easily fold-able, that's definitely a viable solution.

As for using the super clamp with the VLM, I think PCB mentioned that the hole on the VLM would crack if that was the only thing that was keeping the VML mounted to the lightstand. Hence the VML Mount that Mike linked earlier...

Want to thank everyone for the advice. Very useful and insightful.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 06, 2013 09:16 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #36

I sue the buff 12" BD with the socks,,, light is nice and soft with a 150 degree spread

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 06, 2013 09:19 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #37

Nick ,,, stay away from the plms outside ,, an ant could fart and launch that thing,, terrible with any slight breeze

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 06, 2013 09:21 |  #38

nicksan wrote in post #15902525 (external link)
As for using the super clamp with the VLM, I think PCB mentioned that the hole on the VLM would crack if that was the only thing that was keeping the VML mounted to the lightstand. Hence the VML Mount that Mike linked earlier...

Yikes...I've used it like that A LOT. haha

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 06, 2013 09:21 |  #39

umphotography wrote in post #15902551 (external link)
I sue the buff 12" BD with the socks,,, light is nice and soft with a 150 degree spread

You mean 22"?

Would that have gotten the job done with my samples above, especially for the group shot? I was at 1/200 f10 and nearly full blast with the Einstein. This was shot around 5:30pm. Sun was still nearly overhead...maybe slightly directional from the upper left of the frame. Nice blue skies as you can see.

I agree that the lighting looks harsh. But again, loads better than what I could have done using a speedlight. But I absolutely want to produce better images. If that means having to use a BD, Octa, or PLM, then I'll need to work that into the "system" I am trying to figure out! :)

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 06, 2013 09:21 |  #40

charro callado wrote in post #15902570 (external link)
Yikes...I've used it like that A LOT. haha

Hey, if it ain't broke yet...;)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 06, 2013 10:07 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #41

Nick ,, 22" and yes I think it would work just fine,,, if I'm gonna light a large group,, then I will use 2 BDs with 1600,s.,, my car is always close by with big groups outside,,also optic sensors will not p/u outside,, so 2 light means 3 triggers

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 07, 2013 12:01 |  #42

umphotography wrote in post #15899727 (external link)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

holy crap, $45 and doesn't even include the super clamp for that price?
umm, pass.. i do what charro callado does and have never had a problem. the only issue is sometimes it will twist.

i carry an ab800 with a mini litium and bd on a heavy stand often for this kind of thing. works great. kind of throw it over my shoulder to walk from place to place.
it's worth mentioning though that when i do this, i'm only in one camera mode. I don't do this while rocking two cameras, like i do for the rest of the wedding day.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 07, 2013 12:16 |  #43

bigarchi wrote in post #15906988 (external link)
umm, pass.. i do what charro callado does and have never had a problem. the only issue is sometimes it will twist.

i carry an ab800 with a mini litium and bd on a heavy stand often for this kind of thing. works great. kind of throw it over my shoulder to walk from place to place.
it's worth mentioning though that when i do this, i'm only in one camera mode. I don't do this while rocking two cameras, like i do for the rest of the wedding day.

Yeah, I had one camera with me and a lens changer 3 with 2 more lenses inside. I'll try the Kacey BD next time. It's just that the BD makes it a little front heavy and the light stand really digs into my shoulder too! Definitely not for long strolls.

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 07, 2013 14:00 |  #44

nicksan wrote in post #15907050 (external link)
Yeah, I had one camera with me and a lens changer 3 with 2 more lenses inside. I'll try the Kacey BD next time. It's just that the BD makes it a little front heavy and the light stand really digs into my shoulder too! Definitely not for long strolls.

I hear ya. i also like to attach the mini vagabond low on the stand to act as ballast to counteract the weight of the bd and light.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 10, 2013 20:19 |  #45

bigarchi wrote in post #15906988 (external link)

I will not bring myself to order this (IMO) overpriced piece of bent metal because of the "inventor's" attitude.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

sponsored links

5,018 views & 0 likes for this thread
Running and gunning with lighting gear?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.