Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...

this thread is locked
jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

May 07, 2013 12:12 |  #706

MakisM1 wrote in post #15907001 (external link)
That was a cheap shot!...:lol::lol:

Looks like you are having a problem with Canon models starting with 6... 6D, 60D, 600D... Or should I say Rebels, Super Rebels and FF Rebels...

You are going to be in real trouble when Canon releases the Rebel 666D Antichrist...:p

Chill out a bit!... It's only a forum...

I actually like the 60D. It's the first Canon DSLR that I've held and immediately was like "WOOOOW this one feels good in my hands". :) And it's really cheap now in Belgium since there is a discount on it right now. The only "epic fail" of the 60D for me is the removal of the AFMA feature which the 50D did have.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

sponsored links
dylan81
30 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 07, 2013 12:24 |  #707

Bakewell wrote in post #15906947 (external link)
Wow! With all these superficial, inconsequential features/fluff (for both cameras) the final product is the same! At only $1500 more for the 5D! Amazing! Perfect example of confirmation bias...

Wow! (you must be a liberal) because you DON'T want to look at the facts. Did you even see the videos I posted? I shoot weddings and back in the day, the T2i burned me with bad aliasing multiple times, so it's a relief to not have to worry about it as much as I would with a 6D. As for the so called bias you think I have, guess again Sherlock. Yes the savings you get from a 6D is great, but the so called "inconsequential features" are very important to me. I didn't come on here to bash the 6D and was trying to give my perspective (with proof) to the OP who was on the fence between the two. What part of "if the 2 were released at the same time I would still purchase the 5d3" do you not understand?

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2013 12:37 |  #708
bannedPermanent ban

VicSkimmr wrote in post #15906997 (external link)
You come off as really hostile and arrogant, maybe it's time to step away from the computer for a bit. It's just the internet and these are just cameras. There's no right or wrong opinion here.

Naw..as the old liberal saying goes....you're welcome to your own opinions but not your own facts...

Hey, it's your $1500! If you want to be able to tell your friends (and the world) you have "the best", so be it! Have at it guys...that extra frame per second is really important!

Dave

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 07, 2013 12:41 |  #709

dylan81 wrote in post #15906921 (external link)
MP: 20.3 vs. 22.3 = 5D3 is slightly better
FPS: 4.5 vs. 6.0 = 5D3 is 33% faster
Processor: Same Digic 5+ = Tie
Metering: Same 63-Zone = Tie
ISO: Same Range = Tie
AF Points: 11 vs. 61 = 5D3 is “a lot” better
AF Center Point: -3 vs. –2 EV
Max. Shutter Speed:1/4000 vs. 1/8000 = 5D3 is 1-stop faster
Max. Sync. Speed: 1/180 vs. 1/200 = 5D3 is slightly faster
Silent Shutter: Same = Tie
Shutter Cycle: 100k vs. 150k = 5D3 has 50% longer shutter life
View Finder: 97% vs. 100% = 5D3 is slightly better
LCD: 3.0” vs. 3.2” = 5D3 is slightly better
Exposure Comp: Same +/- 5 EV = Tie
AE Bracketing: Same +/- 3 = Tie
Cards: 1 SD vs. SD+CF = 5D3 is better
Custom Modes: C1,C2 vs. C1,C2,C3 = 5D3 has 1 extra Dial Mode (C3)
AFMA: Same = Tie
HDR: Same with 3 Exp. = Tie
Multiple Expos: Same 9 max. = Tie
Scene Intel. Auto: Same = Tie
Built-in Wi-Fi: Only in 6D = 6D is better
Built-in GPS: Only in 6D = 6D is better
Size: 6D ~ ¼” Smaller = 6D is slightly smaller
Weight: 27.2 vs. 33.5 oz = 6D is 19% lighter
Current Price($): 2,100 vs. 3,000 = 6D is $900 less

I bought my 5D3 before they announced the 6D and I'm very impressed with the specs of an entry level FF camera like the 6D. The only real benefit to the 6D (for me) is the awesome low light sensitivity with the center point. I bought the 5D3 for video and I'm glad I did because many people have complained about the moire and aliasing the 6D produces. I'm not bashing the 6D at all and would like to have one for the weight and center point, but I still would've made the same decision if they were announed at the same time. http://www.youtube.com …er_embedded&v=m​YMF7UAvF_E (external link) http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=xo1-8saWqsk (external link)

I disagree with bolded as the 5d3 is hobbled in the sd card slot it writes stupid slow

Also because 5d3 doesn't have built in wifi and GPS doesn't make the 6d better it just makes it non comparable and can't be compared but doesn't make it better by default in those areas as the wifi and GPS can be had for the 5D3

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 07, 2013 13:13 |  #710

The 2nd card (SD) is great for backup. When you shoot weddings or pro gig, you want that backup in case you get file corruption on the CF card. WIFI and GPS are candy I don't need to shoot.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

w0m
Goldmember
1,109 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

May 07, 2013 13:17 |  #711

dylan81 wrote in post #15907083 (external link)
Wow! (you must be a liberal) because you DON'T want to look at the facts.

<general statement, not in response to anyone directly>
I would advice against overarching political statements to a non political topic if you want to have a level headed conversation. Bias comes in from all sides; no reason to bait it.

5dmkIII and 6D are two different cameras with different use case. No reason you have to justify your purchase (6D or 5DmkIII) to anyone else after you state the reason you made your choice. Someone values certain features (or non features) more (or less) than you; that doesn't make them wrong. (I would love a second SD(not CF) card in my 6D; but I wouldn't trade Wifi for it for what I shoot)

[6D]

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2013 13:33 |  #712
bannedPermanent ban

dylan81 wrote in post #15907083 (external link)
Wow! (you must be a liberal)

I am. Obviously you're not. Don't worry, nobody is proposing that your 5DIII be confiscated. Yet...

We always welcome newbies to the forum. Glad I inspired you to join!

Dave

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 07, 2013 13:44 |  #713

fogboundturtle wrote in post #15907249 (external link)
The 2nd card (SD) is great for backup. When you shoot weddings or pro gig, you want that backup in case you get file corruption on the CF card. WIFI and GPS are candy I don't need to shoot.

Are you aware of the slowdown when you have an SD card in the 5d3?

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

kdrk888
404 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 07, 2013 13:45 |  #714

I have posted this in a different thread. I bought a 6D recently because I try to change lenses as little as possible when I am shooting stuff. I am not a pro though.

I used the 6D and 5DIII side by side twice, the first time I mounted the 100mm L IS on the 5DIII and the 70-200mm IS II on the 6D, for flower shots. The second time I mounted the 85mm f1.2 L II on the 5DIII and the 24-70mm f2.8 II on the 6D, for high school prom.

Because the subjects were mostly static, the difference in AF of the 6D and the 5DIII didn't really make a difference. But the 61 AF points of the 5DIII really helped in composition, you may not realize that until you use them side by side. But how much extra money is that worth? Everyone will have his/her own answer.

Douglas
Canon, Nikon, Sony. Too many gears, too little time.

kdrk888
404 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 07, 2013 13:50 |  #715

kcbrown wrote in post #15904344 (external link)
There is more to the 5D3's autofocus system than just its improved tracking ability.

It gives you the ability to put a good autofocus point on your subject when the subject is framed the way you want. That is incredibly useful in my experience.

But it's not just that, it's that you can do that for moving subjects that would eliminate the possibility of using the "focus and recompose" method.

Can't agree more. I have both and used both side by side.

Douglas

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2013 14:02 |  #716
bannedPermanent ban

kdrk888 wrote in post #15907391 (external link)
Can't agree more. I have both and used both side by side.

My world is turned upside down! Own and use both? Really? Other than utilizing as a backup I'm totally confused....

Dave

kdrk888
404 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 07, 2013 14:14 |  #717

Bakewell wrote in post #15907430 (external link)
My world is turned upside down! Own and use both? Really? Other than utilizing as a backup I'm totally confused....

You were right, your world. My world is that I hate changing lenses sometimes. Everyone is different. Nothing wrong with that.

Douglas

dylan81
30 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 07, 2013 14:22 |  #718

w0m wrote in post #15907266 (external link)
<general statement, not in response to anyone directly>
I would advice against overarching political statements to a non political topic if you want to have a level headed conversation. Bias comes in from all sides; no reason to bait it.

5dmkIII and 6D are two different cameras with different use case. No reason you have to justify your purchase (6D or 5DmkIII) to anyone else after you state the reason you made your choice. Someone values certain features (or non features) more (or less) than you; that doesn't make them wrong. (I would love a second SD(not CF) card in my 6D; but I wouldn't trade Wifi for it for what I shoot)

Agreed, but I came into this conversation level headed and without a bias when Bakewell flipped his lid. Again, he has yet to acknowledge the facts that the video from the 6D is almost unusable at times and for many people, the video portion of a DSLR is important. So he will simply ignore my proof and start spouting how much he's saving and that perhaps shutter life isn't important to him (add that repair cost to the 6D) or that the AF benefit isn't justifiable. Maybe I should join in a 1DX forum and tell people they could save 2k compared to a 5D3... The best part about his whole silly outburst was that I said the 6D was a great camera for certain reasons and stated what they were. Golly people. (also I'm not a new member, FYI)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2013 14:22 |  #719
bannedPermanent ban

kdrk888 wrote in post #15907476 (external link)
You were right, your world. My world is that I hate changing lenses sometimes. Everyone is different. Nothing wrong with that.

So in your view they're equal. I tend to agree. Case closed?

Dave

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2013 14:27 |  #720
bannedPermanent ban

dylan81 wrote in post #15907499 (external link)
I came into this conversation level headed and without a bias when Bakewell flipped his lid.

These newbies don't waste time...let's take it personal!

Dave

sponsored links

103,599 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.