Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe goes Subscription only

Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
3,908 posts
Joined Sep 2002

May 07, 2013 13:02 |  #211

Unless Adobe changes their plan back to the option of subscription or one-time purchase/upgrade. I will continue using PS CS6 until I can't with a backup of PS CS (the last I have hardcopy of).
Then I will switch to something else.

I like PS, I really do, but I hate subscriptions a lot. and photoshop is not a NECESSARY subscription.

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.com (external link)
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​m (external link)

sponsored links
joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 07, 2013 13:05 |  #212

hollis_f wrote in post #15905926 (external link)
Excellent. So LR + PSE will be cloud-free and perfectly adequate for me.

I'm hoping you're right because I have the same combo. :)

Joel

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 07, 2013 13:12 |  #213

ToddR wrote in post #15907160 (external link)
Is there anything more smarmy and obnoxious than the way these customer service drones always ask if there is anything else they can help you with? As if what came prior immediately wraps things up all nice and tidy to your satisfaction. She was trying awfully hard to sweep you out the door. :rolleyes:

I hate hearing customer service drones repeat this over and over as was done here... particularly when they haven't 'helped' at all in the first place. If you can't help with my first/primary issue, why would you think you could help me with something else?

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 07, 2013 13:16 |  #214

in my conversation noted above the technician told me Lightroom is also moving to the cloud. Could not get any straight answers so who knows if that is correct or not

My FLickrPage (external link)

Casual
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined May 2013

May 07, 2013 13:20 |  #215

alann wrote in post #15907261 (external link)
in my conversation noted above the technician told me Lightroom is also moving to the cloud. Could not get any straight answers so who knows if that is correct or not

They released this on their website. It will be available to CC users but LR5 will be available as boxed and downloadable. Good news at least for users like me that spend 99% of the time in LR and can probably get away with CS6 for the next 5 years until I replace my 5Dmkiii. Will not be subscribing to this BS money grab.

5DMKIII|50D|17-40L|24-105L|50 f1.4|100 f2.0 Macro|70-300 f4-5.6|Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 07, 2013 13:24 |  #216

I hope what is on their website is accurate. If so I am in the same boat and will not need to upgrade for a long time

My FLickrPage (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,201 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 07, 2013 13:44 |  #217

So if you subscribe to the product, the moment you cancel you can't open your .psd files? Didn't Microsoft try that with the Zune where you had a monthly subscription and could download music to the Zune player, but the moment you canceled all the music was gone?

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,847 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 07, 2013 13:47 as a reply to  @ alann's post |  #218

The cost of going to the cloud for Photoshop should be less than the current upgrade choices. I started with v6 and only missed upgrades for CS & CS4. Remember when you used to get a nice printed manual included? Then Adobe changed the upgrade policy to only the previous version instead of three. Now, they want to go completely downloadable, which is fine, but no longer do they have the expense of disc, box, and packaging. Their cost of doing business is decreasing, yet the cost to stay current is increasing. Gee thanks Adobe.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 07, 2013 13:49 |  #219

Chet wrote in post #15907366 (external link)
So if you subscribe to the product, the moment you cancel you can't open your .psd files?

Pretty much.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,847 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 07, 2013 13:51 |  #220

So if you subscribe to the product, the moment you cancel you can't open your .psd files? Didn't Microsoft try that with the Zune where you had a monthly subscription and could download music to the Zune player, but the moment you canceled all the music was gone?

dalto wrote in post #15907386 (external link)
Pretty much.

I think Gimp will open a psd file.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 07, 2013 13:58 |  #221

I wish for the sake of clarity people would quit referring to the software involved here as being "in the cloud." Calling it "Creative Cloud" doesn't help.

The software is not in the cloud. Unless I have completely misunderstood all this, it is installed on the local computer. The ongoing operation of that software is tied to mechanisms in the cloud. And even then, it seems like it's a periodic thing, where it quietly contacts the Adobe mother ship (monthly?) to allow/authenticate continued use of the product(s) if one's account remains in good standing, rather than something that requires an internet connection to be in place each time you launch it. There is also apparently some cloud storage offered with one's account. The subscriber is entitled to obtain occasional software updates as they become available as part of the subscription.

Ever edit a document or spreadsheet with Google Docs? That's in the cloud, and accessed through a web browser.

Maybe next year they'll offer a truly cloud-based version of ACR and Photoshop. It'll all be done in your web browser! Step one: commit to the low, low monthly price. Step two: prepay for 15 years and get a 1% discount. Step three: upload the 2,000 RAW files from yesterday's wedding. Step four: come back tomorrow to begin culling shots...  :p

Gear List

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 07, 2013 14:02 |  #222

drvnbysound wrote in post #15907245 (external link)
I hate hearing customer service drones repeat this over and over as was done here... particularly when they haven't 'helped' at all in the first place. If you can't help with my first/primary issue, why would you think you could help me with something else?

Don't forget how they operate what seems like 25 chats at once, so that what would be a 90-second conversation stretches into 30 minutes while they cycle through responses on the other 24.

Gear List

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 07, 2013 14:05 |  #223

alann wrote in post #15907261 (external link)

Try reading the post I replied to, specifically this link (external link).

So LR5 will be part of the Adobe Cloud package. But it will also be available in the old-fashioned reliable version.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

SETriode
34 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 07, 2013 14:06 |  #224

ToddR wrote in post #15907160 (external link)
Is there anything more smarmy and obnoxious than the way these customer service drones always ask if there is anything else they can help you with? As if what came prior immediately wraps things up all nice and tidy to your satisfaction. She was trying awfully hard to sweep you out the door. :rolleyes:

She probably has hourly production quotas, just like the cell phone company reps.

5D Mk II, 40mm f/2.8 pancake, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8 macro, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-105mm IS f/4L, 70-200mm IS f/4L, Σ 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM..

SETriode
34 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 07, 2013 14:14 |  #225

Corel PaintShop Pro opens PSD files.

5D Mk II, 40mm f/2.8 pancake, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8 macro, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-105mm IS f/4L, 70-200mm IS f/4L, Σ 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM..

sponsored links

113,346 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe goes Subscription only
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.