Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe goes Subscription only

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,183 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 07, 2013 14:17 |  #226

SETriode wrote in post #15907475 (external link)
Corel PaintShop Pro opens PSD files.

Yes it does. But for how long? Do I need to continually upgrade PSP as well? Granted PSP is a fraction of the price. And Adobe may make the .psd file less compatible in newer releases.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,703 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 07, 2013 14:18 |  #227

ToddR wrote in post #15907417 (external link)
I wish for the sake of clarity people would quit referring to the software involved here as being "in the cloud." Calling it "Creative Cloud" doesn't help.

The software is not in the cloud. ...

Well, as Adobe has marketed this form of subscription with that name, I'm not sure what you expect of us?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,075 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 07, 2013 14:20 |  #228

SETriode wrote in post #15907449 (external link)
She probably has hourly production quotas, just like the cell phone company reps.

She most likely is a smart piece of software chatting away with you until it gets too complicated. Then it's shuffled off to a real person.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,703 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 07, 2013 14:22 |  #229

Chet wrote in post #15907366 (external link)
So if you subscribe to the product, the moment you cancel you can't open your .psd files? ...

for real?
Oh man!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 07, 2013 14:23 as a reply to  @ post 15907475 |  #230

This is not going to hurt just Adobe.
All places that offer training, whether online/disks or in person, will suffer a great loss of use, as the people who took those classes are most likely the ones not to take the subscription.

Also, books and other items like that are going to see a large drop off.

It is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I was practicing with OnOne Software last night. It is pretty cool and does a lot of what I had just learned to do with PS. So I am not as upset as I was yesterday.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

SETriode
34 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 07, 2013 14:24 |  #231

Chet wrote in post #15907484 (external link)
Yes it does. But for how long? Do I need to continually upgrade PSP as well? Granted PSP is a fraction of the price. And Adobe may make the .psd file less compatible in newer releases.

Of course, none of us knows what Adobe will do as far as changing PSD compatibility. At least PaintShop Pro upgrades are affordable (for now) at around $50 or so.

5D Mk II, 40mm f/2.8 pancake, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8 macro, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-105mm IS f/4L, 70-200mm IS f/4L, Σ 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM..

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 07, 2013 14:24 |  #232

If you have your files stored on your local drives (not the Adobe server storage. Haven't seen any clear word on what happens to your storage if you have to skip a few months, but I would assume your account gets deleted when you stop paying upkeep) then the files are yours.

Adobe does not claim your files. They do not lock your files. The files are yours, and you can use any valid program that is able to read said files to view them. You can take them to a friend's office and have them open them in Photoshop, or use another program, or remember to batch export all your adobe files to a more open format.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 07, 2013 14:29 |  #233

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15907486 (external link)
Well, as Adobe has marketed this form of subscription with that name, I'm not sure what you expect of us?

Indeed, but I expect the savvy POTN crowd to know that it's more about the subscription model and some secondary services/functions being in the cloud than the actual core software executables being in the cloud. ;)

Gear List

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 07, 2013 14:29 |  #234

I have reached my personal limit for using the term "cloud" this month.

Gear List

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 07, 2013 14:31 |  #235

ToddR wrote in post #15907417 (external link)
I wish for the sake of clarity people would quit referring to the software involved here as being "in the cloud." Calling it "Creative Cloud" doesn't help.

But that's what Adobe calls it, so that's what we're stuck with. Along with the subscriptions, there's also a big social aspect to all of this that no one is talking about. You get online storage, a social profile, the ability to share your work & comment on others, etc.

And while the software is not stored on Adobe's computers, I think your settings are so they can be synced on both of your allowed computers.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 07, 2013 14:36 |  #236

ToddR wrote in post #15907160 (external link)
Is there anything more smarmy and obnoxious than the way these customer service drones always ask if there is anything else they can help you with? As if what came prior immediately wraps things up all nice and tidy to your satisfaction. She was trying awfully hard to sweep you out the door. :rolleyes:

...the very first question that was asked was:

I purchased Photoshop CS 6 a few weeks ago and now I find out adobe will be going to an all cloud model. I can not return my software (purchased through Adorma). Please explain if I just wasted 600.00

If you are going to waste a customer service's rep time with such loaded questions then the customer should be thankful that they only response was "Is there anything else I can help you with for now." The obvious answer is "no he hasn't wasted his money." He has a working copy of CS6 that he can continue to use as long as he likes. And that was the answer the customer service rep gave him. The rest of the questions were variations on the first question. They were answered as best as the rep could. The rep isn't the one who made the decision to switch sales models and the rep doesn't have the power to do anything but to do exactly what he did here. If you guys want to rant and rave about how horrible the change in model is there are plenty of avenues to do it and there are more deserving people to target. But the guy was just doing his job and he did it correctly and he answered as honestly as he could.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 07, 2013 14:38 |  #237

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #15906645 (external link)
I know I'll be in the minority here if I even go for this but...

Over the weekend I was on the Adobe site looking to go from Photoshop Extended CS5 to CS6 and saw the $400 upgrade price and balked.

My situation is a little different in that my wife is a Mac person and I'm a PC person so we've always had to buy two versions of the same software.

From what I've seen, with the subscription we can pay our $$ for both and activate two machines "on the cloud" with perpetual updates for as long as we want.

We'll spend quite a bit less than we would for our annual CSx to CSx+1 X 2 upgrades.

It's still expensive, but when was Adobe ever cheap?

This change to subscription service mostly affects people who use a single application on a single operating system and choose not to upgrade with every cycle. This change will cost those people a couple hundred extra dollars each year.

The other big change that affects everyone - even you - is that in the past you purchased a license and could use that software title forever. That's no longer the case with the new subscription model. You could use the entire suite for 5 years at a cost of $3000. If for some reason you choose not to continue the subscription, you no longer have access to the software. If you use PSD or Adobe's other proprietary formats, you have 5 years worth of files that you can't open, re-edit, save in a different format, or do anything else with unless you renew your subscription to access the software again.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

buggz
783 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 07, 2013 14:44 |  #238

Greed, pure and simple.
Actually in this case, I would call it criminal extortion.
I feel as if I have been stabbed in the back.

5DMkII, 40D w/ grip, lenses, flashes, more stuff.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 07, 2013 14:50 |  #239

buggz wrote in post #15907589 (external link)
Greed, pure and simple.
Actually in this case, I would call it criminal extortion.
I feel as if I have been stabbed in the back.

Yes, because the capitalist system is all about doing work for nothing, giving everything away for free, and ensuring your profit margins are as narrow as possible so that you are constantly at risk of financial ruin...

Obviously criminal.

So, how much do you charge for photography work again? Have you ever changed your prices? I suppose you would be happy to work for free?

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

buggz
783 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 07, 2013 14:56 |  #240

Uhm, I'm a hobbiest, I pay my bills, I have spent a LOT of time, AND a LOT of monies on PS.
I DO my "work" for free!
I am NOT a professionally paid looser who calls themselves a PRO.
That word has ZERO meaning to me.
If you say or think you are an expert, or a guru, you are a liar!

Adobe has turned it's back on all of us.
I am not mostly pissed by the monies, I am super pissed at the notion of complete control.
And, of all the sickening fanboys,
"oh, but's the furture wave to be raped repeatedly, you'll like it!"
I don't accept all of this corporate control, and customer be dammed B$!

Luckless wrote in post #15907613 (external link)
Yes, because the capitalist system is all about doing work for nothing, giving everything away for free, and ensuring your profit margins are as narrow as possible so that you are constantly at risk of financial ruin...

Obviously criminal.

So, how much do you charge for photography work again? Have you ever changed your prices? I suppose you would be happy to work for free?

5DMkII, 40D w/ grip, lenses, flashes, more stuff.

sponsored links

111,921 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe goes Subscription only
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.