Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe goes Subscription only

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,307 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 07, 2013 15:02 |  #241

ToddR wrote in post #15907534 (external link)
I have reached my personal limit for using the term "cloud" this month.

Maybe we could start calling it the Adobe clown service?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 07, 2013 15:03 |  #242

So, I assume you have SOME kind of job, even if it isn't photography. Otherwise I question how you manage to afford something as expensive as Photoshop. Whatever that job is, you expect to get paid, don't you? Do you often go to your employeer (or customers if self employed) and say "I'm making WAY too much money, take some back. I don't need it all."

If you have never done that, then you are as equally guilty of 'greed' as Adobe is. They are a business, they need to make profits or they cease to exist. You like having programmers and developers making tools for you I would assume. If you didn't, then I'm sure you would be tinkering away and improving something like GIMP.

Software development isn't free.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 07, 2013 15:05 |  #243

You are incorrect. If I can pay 29.99 per month and have complete use of CS6 for a year. But since I own it I can pay 9.99 per month for a year then pay 49.99 per month after that. From what I understand once they go to on line only I am forced to use the service if I want to upgrade at any time. Then once I quite the monthly payments my CS6 is useless ( If I understand all of this correctly) because they deactivate it when you stop payment. If I am wrong please let me know. If the above is true I could have just rented (for the same monthly fee after a year) instead of paying 600.00 and a monthly fee.
If you read you will see that I did tell the tech that I know it is not her fault! Perhaps you should read just a little more before you throw stones.

banquetbear wrote in post #15907557 (external link)
...the very first question that was asked was:

If you are going to waste a customer service's rep time with such loaded questions then the customer should be thankful that they only response was "Is there anything else I can help you with for now." The obvious answer is "no he hasn't wasted his money." He has a working copy of CS6 that he can continue to use as long as he likes. And that was the answer the customer service rep gave him. The rest of the questions were variations on the first question. They were answered as best as the rep could. The rep isn't the one who made the decision to switch sales models and the rep doesn't have the power to do anything but to do exactly what he did here. If you guys want to rant and rave about how horrible the change in model is there are plenty of avenues to do it and there are more deserving people to target. But the guy was just doing his job and he did it correctly and he answered as honestly as he could.

My FLickrPage (external link)

buggz
783 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 07, 2013 15:08 |  #244

Wow, you are sickening.
I don't accept your way of thinking, there is no analogy.
End of story...

Luckless wrote in post #15907667 (external link)
So, I assume you have SOME kind of job, even if it isn't photography. Otherwise I question how you manage to afford something as expensive as Photoshop. Whatever that job is, you expect to get paid, don't you? Do you often go to your employeer (or customers if self employed) and say "I'm making WAY too much money, take some back. I don't need it all."

If you have never done that, then you are as equally guilty of 'greed' as Adobe is. They are a business, they need to make profits or they cease to exist. You like having programmers and developers making tools for you I would assume. If you didn't, then I'm sure you would be tinkering away and improving something like GIMP.

5DMkII, 40D w/ grip, lenses, flashes, more stuff.

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 07, 2013 15:10 |  #245

Mark-B wrote in post #15907538 (external link)
But that's what Adobe calls it, so that's what we're stuck with. Along with the subscriptions, there's also a big social aspect to all of this that no one is talking about. You get online storage, a social profile, the ability to share your work & comment on others, etc.

And while the software is not stored on Adobe's computers, I think your settings are so they can be synced on both of your allowed computers.

Exactly. They want to traffic a bit on that buzzword with their marketing for the reasons/features you've described.

I just wanted to draw the distinction for the actual software, lest someone think it functions like Google Docs and wouldn't be usable if they weren't continuously online, etc. while using it.

I saw remarks somewhere (either in this thread or elsewhere; I forget) where people were concerned about situations where they're working on a computer without internet access for periods of varying lengths, and were wondering about how it would work, etc.

Gear List

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,456 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 07, 2013 15:13 |  #246

buggz wrote in post #15907639 (external link)
Uhm, I'm a hobbiest, I pay my bills, I have spent a LOT of time, AND a LOT of monies on PS.
I DO my "work" for free!
I am NOT a professionally paid looser who calls themselves a PRO.
That word has ZERO meaning to me.
If you say or think you are an expert, or a guru, you are a liar!

Adobe has turned it's back on all of us.
I am not mostly pissed by the monies, I am super pissed at the notion of complete control.
And, of all the sickening fanboys,
"oh, but's the furture wave to be raped repeatedly, you'll like it!"
I don't accept all of this corporate control, and customer be dammed B$!

If what Adobe is doing is truly criminal, then don't just sit there and take it. Hire a lawyer - preferably a non-greedy one who works for free - and file charges against them. Seriously, you've been stabbed in the back and you need restitution. Or sue them and make them pay for some top-notch anger-management counseling. Let us know how it turns out. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

MajesticMomentsPhoto
875 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 07, 2013 15:14 |  #247

cdifoto wrote in post #15906723 (external link)
How about if Canon charged you $5000* a month to lease your kit of 1D X, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L, 50mm f/1.2L, 35mm f/1.4L, and 600EX-RT, with no option to buy it outright? You have to pay the $5000 every month* for a year minimum whether you use it or monetize or not. If you don't want the monthly payment anymore, you have to give it all back. You can't sell it.

*the approximate scaled Suite equivalent.

I would then switch to the dark side!

:cool:Lots of Bodies & Glass....:cool:

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 07, 2013 15:17 |  #248

I am an Optician and have many patients. I do not tell them they have to pay me a monthly fee to retain my services. With the model Adobe is using I would be able to charge a monthly fee for eye wear and if it was not paid I could take the glasses back. ;)

Luckless wrote in post #15907667 (external link)

My FLickrPage (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 07, 2013 15:21 |  #249

waylandcool wrote in post #15903464 (external link)
I'm betting the fact that Photoshop is one of most pirated software titles out there has a lot to do with it. Companies like mine are going to hate this as our firewalls block a lot of the updaters for Adobe apps as it is.

But then the majority of users of cracked versions of Photoshop have never been potential customers.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,218 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 07, 2013 15:22 |  #250

And what happens that day you really need Photo Shop and their subscription service is down, or the cloud is being hit by a denial of service attack? I know Smugmug has let me down plenty of times with whatever issue of the day they always seem to have.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 07, 2013 15:22 |  #251

maverick75 wrote in post #15903470 (external link)
Cloud is completely different from digital download, on a cloud you never have the item on your computer it's hosted somewhere else.

No. You can have it on your computer - the computer caches the program and just check before starting if the cache needs to be refreshed with any changes from the cloud.

The question is just if the cache can allow the program to be used offline, or if you need a working connection everytime.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

cwood
370 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 07, 2013 15:23 |  #252

charro callado wrote in post #15904138 (external link)
I'm curious how many people complaining are professional photographers who insist on a licensing model for their own work.

Have you ever read the EULA attached to your software? Software has ALWAYS been licensed just as my images are ALWAYS used with license.

Although a very small chunk of the photographic world might work on "term licenses"... that type of license would ONLY be applied when it is appropriate. But Adobe is forcing the entire industry into perpetual licensing which is something I have never seen with software

So while some commercial work MIGHT be term limited (I've never seen it in my 13 years in the business) - my sports, family and wedding photography is not a subscription model of license. What works for one customer does not necessarily work for all customers. If tried to force the "wrong" licensing model down the throats of my customers I'm sure my business would be short lived. I guess we will see how much staying power Adobe has after trying to force me and every other professional photographer into a licensing model that does not suit our needs. It seems like I am at least 3 years away from needing to make that decision since my 1Dx and 5D3 are supported in my current software and those cameras won't be replaced for a few years. Maybe in 3 years I will end up paying Adobe $50/month... or maybe Google will have a nice free product to take their place by that time?

The closest model I have seen to what Adobe is doing here is with the GIS (mapping) software I used in a past life (ESRI ArcInfo). You could pay an annual subscription (~$8000 per year) that provided you with full tech support and perpetual upgrades for the duration of the subscription. If you cancelled your subscription the only thing that happened was the ongoing support and upgrades came to an end.

1DxII, 5D3, 6D
BLOG (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,938 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 07, 2013 15:24 |  #253

I get you now Todd. :)

I'd prefer to keep all my computing thoroughly "grounded" anyway.

ToddR wrote in post #15907701 (external link)
Exactly. They want to traffic a bit on that buzzword with their marketing for the reasons/features you've described.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 07, 2013 15:26 |  #254

alann wrote in post #15907674 (external link)
You are incorrect. If I can pay 29.99 per month and have complete use of CS6 for a year. But since I own it I can pay 9.99 per month for a year then pay 49.99 per month after that. From what I understand once they go to on line only I am forced to use the service if I want to upgrade at any time. Then once I quite the monthly payments my CS6 is useless ( If I understand all of this correctly) because they deactivate it when you stop payment. If I am wrong please let me know. If the above is true I could have just rented (for the same monthly fee after a year) instead of paying 600.00 and a monthly fee.
If you read you will see that I did tell the tech that I know it is not her fault! Perhaps you should read just a little more before you throw stones.

You own CS6. It will always work. I'm not sure if the CC install will leave it alone, but you should be able to re-install it later if needed.

If you want to start the CC deal it will cost $20.00 / month ($10 / month the first year if you sign up soon) for an individual PS subscription. If you decide to stop the service you can still go back to CS6. You will just loose any new features added after. Of course there is concern that camera raw updates won't be available down the road which could be an issue.

If they throw in LR in the $20 / month deal I might actually go for it. But, I think I'm going to go with new LR upgrades and let my PS stop at CS6.

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

May 07, 2013 15:28 |  #255

1. Piracy is going to go through the roof. Even more than currently. The monthly licensing fee isn't going to stop the software being cracked, since it's running solely on your system.

2. Unless there's some compelling reason to upgrade, CS6 will become, and remain, the standard. It's just like publishers of textbooks who release a new edition every year or so without really changing anything - eventually, users and course-writers just decide on one particular edition as standard, and keep using that. The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons is still using an anatomy textbook that's three editions 'out of date'.

sponsored links

115,169 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe goes Subscription only
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.