Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 May 2013 (Tuesday) 12:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help - My Photos Are Lifeless...Dead

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

May 08, 2013 06:43 |  #31

I've been learning post processing for a couple years now. I've read books, watched videos, gotten online advice (thx, Gerry) and I'm still struggling. Every so often, I have a great leap forward but most of the time, I'm lucky if I have a tiny step toward my goal.

That being said, I have seen gradual improvement in my photographs. At least, I hope this is what I'm seeing. ;) I won't even discuss my keeper rate at this point. It's embarrassing.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links
Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,674 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 08, 2013 07:01 |  #32

xinvisionx wrote in post #15908969 (external link)
Entered thread. Not a single photo to be seen.

/exit

+1.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

bobfather
57 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 08, 2013 07:18 |  #33

Just a note, but it's one thing to buy a 35L and 50L because you want the best, and another thing entirely to buy them only to stop down a lot.

I seriously doubt you could differentiate between the 35L and 35 f2 or the 50L and 50 f1.8 with all lenses at f5.6.

Put it another way. The 35/50L are only the "best" because they open up so wide. Close them down enough and you'll get the same image quality out of the 18-55 IS.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 08, 2013 07:25 |  #34

C'mon people, you buy the large aperture lens for the ability to shoot wide open WHEN YOU CHOOSE to. I am sick of seeing portraits done at f1.2-1.4.

People are not blurry cheeks with sharp eyelashes...

You use the shallow DOF (and selective focusing) if it serves the photo. Not as a matter of faith... Subject isolation is not a religion, or a political party...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

May 08, 2013 08:11 |  #35

I think when someone splashes out a few thousand on lenses that they should be able to use them at whatever aperture they choose.

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 08, 2013 08:12 |  #36

Scatterbrained wrote in post #15909264 (external link)
Adobe products cannot read the in camera picture styles that Canon uses to render the jpeg preview. When you import your raw files to Adobe the software will render it's own jpeg preview based on it's own defaults, which tend to be quite flat.

Man, I mostly use LR defaults and never seen flat shot every one talks about. Here is an example, 5dc with 35L at f2. Sometimes I wish I knew PS but not that much need. I shoot RAW, use only LR and don't spend more than 5 mins per picture.

IMAGE: http://www.bobbyzphotography.com/img/s4/v65/p1314768212-5.jpg

Lighting is more important than anything else IMHO. In not good light you will get flat shot even with the best gear.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 08, 2013 08:17 |  #37

MakisM1 wrote in post #15910179 (external link)
C'mon people, you buy the large aperture lens for the ability to shoot wide open WHEN YOU CHOOSE to. I am sick of seeing portraits done at f1.2-1.4.

People are not blurry cheeks with sharp eyelashes...

You use the shallow DOF (and selective focusing) if it serves the photo. Not as a matter of faith... Subject isolation is not a religion, or a political party...

Glory Hallelujah !

~ Wallace
Gear List

scott ­ rolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 08, 2013 08:53 |  #38

jaomul wrote in post #15910048 (external link)
For the moment i think downloading DPP from canon is a good move. Raw file converters all render shots differently and though DPP may not be everyones favourite, I would say it is the most user friendly for a first time canon dslr user. The following only applies to dpp, if you use elements or any non dpp converter this is not effective.

Your camera has a few "picture style" settings. These apply various tweaks to your jpeg files and also the basis for your start raw image when you edit in DPP. The various styles are for different purpose shots with "faithful" and "nuetral" being designed as settings for someone who wants to definetely edit their photos on a computer afterwards. They are quite subdued without user input.

If you use standard for day to day photos your editing should be less so and landsape for scenic shots you will find that it is easier to get that pop you are looking for.

Many (including myself) prefer lightroom as an editing tool for raw files, but DPP is a program i often use and i think is your first easy step for getting into digital editing fro your canon dslr

I agree. And thank you all for the input. The Canon site does not appear to have the basic baseline version of DPP to download. Only the updater. There also appear to be tons of versions of this as well. Not quite sure what version I need for my camera and two lenses. 3.11? Thanks again.

scott ­ rolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 08, 2013 08:58 |  #39

bobfather wrote in post #15910155 (external link)
Just a note, but it's one thing to buy a 35L and 50L because you want the best, and another thing entirely to buy them only to stop down a lot.

I seriously doubt you could differentiate between the 35L and 35 f2 or the 50L and 50 f1.8 with all lenses at f5.6.

Put it another way. The 35/50L are only the "best" because they open up so wide. Close them down enough and you'll get the same image quality out of the 18-55 IS.

I never said I ONLY shoot at f5.6. There times when I DO take advantage of the extra wide aperture. I like the L's because of the build qualtiy. How I choose to spend my hard earned $$ is entirely up to me.

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 08, 2013 09:00 |  #40

I am fairly sure if you go into the canon site and select your dslr and then a software tab, you can then select dpp for your computer operating system. Choose the latest version as it will have the most options (I think for dpp it only allows newest anyway). If you have trouble pm me your email and I will try and send a link for the correct download tab when I get a chance. (i am currently not on my own computer)

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,319 posts
Gallery: 323 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

May 08, 2013 09:09 |  #41

jaomul wrote in post #15910418 (external link)
I am fairly sure if you go into the canon site and select your dslr and then a software tab, you can then select dpp for your computer operating system. Choose the latest version as it will have the most options (I think for dpp it only allows newest anyway). If you have trouble pm me your email and I will try and send a link for the correct download tab when I get a chance. (i am currently not on my own computer)

No. You have to install from disk, and then update via Canon. If the OP doesnt have the disk then there are sites that have a disk image you can download or use a registry hack to download the updates.

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 08, 2013 09:23 |  #42

gonzogolf wrote in post #15910437 (external link)
No. You have to install from disk, and then update via Canon. If the OP doesnt have the disk then there are sites that have a disk image you can download or use a registry hack to download the updates.

Oh ok, i must have just updated from here then so. I know i did originally load from a disc.

OP- if your struggling with getting the download to do any of this pm me and i will send you on a copy of my dpp disc

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,

scott ­ rolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 08, 2013 09:35 |  #43

jaomul wrote in post #15910485 (external link)
Oh ok, i must have just updated from here then so. I know i did originally load from a disc.

OP- if your struggling with getting the download to do any of this pm me and i will send you on a copy of my dpp disc

Excellent. Thank you very much.

tomj
662 posts
Joined May 2010

May 08, 2013 09:53 as a reply to  @ Phoenixkh's post |  #44

"C'mon people, you buy the large aperture lens for the ability to shoot wide open WHEN YOU CHOOSE to. I am sick of seeing portraits done at f1.2-1.4. "

Yes.

Back in ancient times, before medium and wide angle zoom lenses were common, if you bought your film SLR with a "kit" lens it usually came with a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8. I don't recall ever hearing people talking about using them wide open all the time (or even much of the time) - it was there if the situation called for it. I still have my Pentax Spotmatic with its wonderful 1.4 Takumar, and if I was wide open with that lens, I was probably in desperately low light.

Flickr (external link)

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

May 08, 2013 09:53 |  #45

Scatterbrained wrote in post #15909264 (external link)
Adobe products cannot read the in camera picture styles that Canon uses to render the jpeg preview.

Not quite true. Under the Develop Module in LR4 (unsure about prior versions), you can choose different camera profiles under in the Camera Calibration panel towards the bottom. Not sure how accurate these profiles are, but they are there.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

11,747 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help - My Photos Are Lifeless...Dead
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.