Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 00:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you clean your lenses and filters?

Wiskey
51 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 06, 2013 00:56 |  #1

Hello all!

I got a little sea spray on my filter taking this shot yesterday:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8268/8712290803_f0aaede237_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/94982813@N04/8​712290803/  (external link)
Arch (external link) by Wiskey2727 (external link), on Flickr

I have a microfiber cloth for cleaning dust off the filter, but all it did was smear the spray around. Eventually I just used a little distilled water to clean it because I didn't want to use Windex or anything like that for fear that it would damage the coatings that we pay so much for.

So I figured I'd ask,.. How should I be cleaning this? Can I use Windex? Or was I right to be concerned? Is distilled water a good way to go long term, or is something better available?

Thanks,
Whiskey

Canon T4i, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 50 f1.8, 75-300 f4.5-5.6
When you come across a swordsman, show him your sword. Do not read your poem to a man who is not a poet.

sponsored links
Wiskey
THREAD ­ STARTER
51 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 06, 2013 00:58 |  #2

PS.
I'm not nearly as close (or foolish) as it looks - this is a 50MM lens on a crop sensor camera - I was on a rock a little bit back :)

Whiskey

When you come across a swordsman, show him your sword. Do not read your poem to a man who is not a poet.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 06, 2013 03:22 |  #3

Almost any glass filter except a polarizing filter can simply be washed in a sink with running warm water and, if necessary, Dawn detergent. Do a final rinse with distilled water and shake the water off. Use a lens tissue, if necessary, to get the last drop or two off the glass.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Wiskey
THREAD ­ STARTER
51 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 06, 2013 19:43 |  #4

Thanks for the advice Skip!

How do you clean CPL filters? Do you just wipe them down with a lens cloth? Or use some special cleaning solution?

Whiskey

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,316 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 06, 2013 19:55 as a reply to  @ Wiskey's post |  #5

I am using shieldme screen cleaner and a microfiber cloth for cleaning most electronics and optics.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

GuitarDTO
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

May 06, 2013 20:20 |  #6

I just use a spray lens cleaner from the local camera shop, along with microfiber. As mentioned above for a really caked filter, running under water is ok but you'll probably still need to use a lens cleaner to get it streak free.

Gear: 5D3, 135L, Sigma 35, 50 1.8 STM, 16-35 F/4L IS, 85/1.8, Fujifilm X100T
Flickr: DavioTheOne (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 06, 2013 21:24 |  #7

Wiskey wrote in post #15904701 (external link)
Thanks for the advice Skip!

How do you clean CPL filters? Do you just wipe them down with a lens cloth? Or use some special cleaning solution?

Whiskey

A polarizing filter is made of at least three layers of material (two layers of glass and at least one polarizing layer in between). Thus, you can get liquid in between that will be nearly impossible to remove.

To clean my polarizing filters, I simply use the same procedure that I use to clean lenses. I've published that several times, but here it is again:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A squeeze-bulb blower such as a Rocket Blower by Giottos, quality lens tissue (such as that sold by Kodak and now Tiffen), a good lens cleaning fluid, and PROPER TECHNIQUE is the way that I have cleaned my lenses for decades.

What is "proper technique"?

First - the goal is to clean the lens (or filter - I would use the very same process) without grinding any dirt/debris into the lens. To me, this absolutely dictates single-use surfaces for anything that touches the lens. That's why I use lens tissues instead of a washable cloth or - particularly - something like a lens pen.

Here are the steps that I use to clean a lens:

1. Use a squeeze-bulb blower to blow any loose dust off the lens. 90% of the time, step 1 is all that is necessary.

2. Take a lens tissue out of the pack. Fold it once, holding only what was the ends of the tissue. You want to be extremely careful to NEVER TOUCH the areas of the lens tissue that will be touching the lens. This will avoid transferring oils from your fingers to the lens.

3. Moisten the folded portion of the lens tissue with a little lens cleaner. You don't want the tissue dripping wet, but it must be damp.

CAUTION: NEVER apply lens cleaner directly to the lens (though it won’t hurt a filter, you don’t want liquid leaking into the lens’ innards).

4. Wipe LIGHTLY across the lens ONCE with the damp tissue. Then either turn it over or fold it so that you can wipe again, but with an unused surface. You can do this as often as needed, as long as you never wipe the lens twice with any surface of the tissue. This prevents scratches. Again, make sure you never touch an area of the tissue that will touch the lens.

5. Ensuring that the lens is actually clean, use a dry tissue, handled the same way as above, to wipe the lens dry. Since you have already removed the dirt, there's no risk of scratching the lens with the dry tissue.

6. Dispose of the used lens tissues in a proper trash receptacle.

That's it in a nutshell. Simple and effective. I've been cleaning my lenses this way for over 45 years, and all of them have pristine glass (and none have ever worn "protective" filters).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 06, 2013 21:39 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #8

Living in Florida, and being an avid saltwater fisherman, I would clean it the way I clean my fishing gear, which can cost more then a nice l lens.

For a filter, I'd just simply run it under fresh waster to remove the salt, then, once it dries, use the blower and/or any of the other above listed methods. You'd have to do a wet cleaning, as there are sure to be water stains, but they'll come off easily.

As for the actual lens and body, I'd use a damp clean rag (not soaking wet, just damp), and wipe everything down.

If it was the rods and reels, they go in the shower with me. :)

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

CoPhotoGuy
276 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 06, 2013 21:43 |  #9

Eclipse and Pec Pads

ROGERWILCO357
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 07, 2013 01:40 |  #10

what type of solvent is used alcohol base ? I have this solvent I use for my plasma tv the (Monster) blue liquid non alcohol type not sure what is in this stuff but can it be used on the lens ?

EOS 5DMKII gripped;EOS 7D;30D:Rebel Xti Digital;24-105L,70-200 f/2.8L.II,85mm f1.2L.II,16-35Lmk2, SP AF90mmF/2.8DI,28-135mm x 2,580EX II-430ExII with Pocket Wizards II,(Adobe CS5)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 07, 2013 04:34 |  #11

Don't use Eclipse for cleaning camera and lenses. While it's great for cleaning sensors (where you want something good at removing oil-based gunk while evaporating quickly) it might not play nice with some of the plastics or coatings on lenses, filters and bodies.

For those external bits you can buy different types of really expensive tiny bottles containing a few precious drops of 'scientifically formulated' optical cleaning solution. But these things are virtually all the same recipe - water, propan-2-ol (also known as isopropyl alcohol) and sometimes a bit of soap.

So I make my own cleaning solution. It's still 'scientifically formulated' because I am a scientist, but it's not expensive. First buy a bottle of propanol from Amazon for $5.67. Take some of that (half a cupful) and dilute it 1:1 with water; tap water will do, distilled water is better, don't use bottled water. If you want, add a few drops of dishwashing liquid (I'm told Dawn is a nice one).

That's a lifetime's supply of cleaning fluid. It works great on other stuff and it's pretty harmless to almost everything.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 07, 2013 04:50 |  #12

Bucket of soapy water works a treat for me.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

Wiskey
THREAD ­ STARTER
51 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 08, 2013 08:36 |  #13

Thanks for the tips and advice all!

I will go out and get some disposable lens tissues to use instead of the microfiber cloth I have now, that's a great tip about grinding dust into the lens/filter I'd hate to have some grain of sand or something on my rag and scratch the lens.

Thanks!
Whiskey

JohanBorjesson
187 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 08, 2013 08:58 |  #14

I use some cleaning cloth(s) I got with smartphone screen protectors over the years. Works great.

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

MikeT2i
83 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 08, 2013 09:01 |  #15

Anhydrous Alcohol - Not sure about using it on lenses but it is basically Alcohol without water in it. I use it for a lot of delicate cleaning of electronic parts etc. When it evaporates it does not leave any residue.

sponsored links

6,935 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you clean your lenses and filters?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.