Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 May 2013 (Tuesday) 05:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sigma 30 1.4 Art vs Old Canon 28 1.8

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

May 08, 2013 00:17 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

oklaiss wrote in post #15909561 (external link)
28 1.8 sucks. Seriously. Get the sigma

lol? An owner of the said lens is dissing it? Sarcasm? :p

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

sponsored links
elitejp
Goldmember
1,757 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 08, 2013 07:37 as a reply to  @ post 15909561 |  #17

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=141274

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

hsmoscout
Goldmember
1,166 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 08, 2013 07:40 as a reply to  @ elitejp's post |  #18

Actually it looks like the Sigma isn't much better:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …p=736&FLIComp=0​&APIComp=0 (external link)

My Gear
˙ʇsod uı ʇı xıɟ

hsmoscout
Goldmember
1,166 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 08, 2013 07:44 |  #19

That's the old Sigma 30.

I'm really disappointed this isn't going to be the slam dunk everyone expected. After all the hype and excitement of the amazing 35mm and their other new lenses, it seems like Sigma really flopped on this one.

My Gear
˙ʇsod uı ʇı xıɟ

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 08, 2013 07:49 |  #20

hsmoscout wrote in post #15910228 (external link)
That's the old Sigma 30.

I'm really disappointed this isn't going to be the slam dunk everyone expected. After all the hype and excitement of the amazing 35mm and their other new lenses, it seems like Sigma really flopped on this one.

How is it a flop? Its a bit better in every single regard than the old one, and at virtually the same price. The 35 was a stunner because there was no old version to compare it to, it cost $900 and is better than virtually anything out there.

This new 30 is no less impressive if you really think about it; its the only real "normal" lens designed for crop sensors out there, and it beats the Canon offerings which are roughly in the same category in terms of price and focal length. If this was a brand new lens and not an upgrade of the old 30, everyone would be just as amazed by it as by its bigger brother.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

May 08, 2013 08:02 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

Sirrith wrote in post #15910240 (external link)
How is it a flop? Its a bit better in every single regard than the old one, and at virtually the same price. The 35 was a stunner because there was no old version to compare it to, it cost $900 and is better than virtually anything out there.

This new 30 is no less impressive if you really think about it; its the only real "normal" lens designed for crop sensors out there, and it beats the Canon offerings which are roughly in the same category in terms of price and focal length. If this was a brand new lens and not an upgrade of the old 30, everyone would be just as amazed by it as by its bigger brother.

+1 to all this.

It's the best lens on crop that gives you the normal perspective and easily trumps the Canon 28 and 35f2.

Seriously hsmoscout what are you expecting? Do you really think the new Sigma 30 Art is going to give you the same performance as their Sigma 35 for half the price? That is never ever gonna happen ;)

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes

filip13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 08, 2013 10:14 as a reply to  @ kin2son's post |  #22

Ok since no one knows much about the new one it's hard to judge. I am guessing it's a decent lens since the previous version was so popular even with all those flaws. So at least some aspects of it are good and that f1.4 sounds damn tempting. With usb docket it might be one of those lenses that has added value and sticks around for a while as the strongest value in it's category in terms of speed.

Question then remains is 28 1.8 even a worthwhile investment since it's so old and has pretty average technical reviews and there are no other real competitors. On the other hand it's a FF lens, seems to hold the price well and has produced good enough results for average shooter. Every pro I have asked (that I've met or know) seems to say the same thing "stick with the Canon" it's reliable that's what counts, Sigmas are just not reliable enough or durable long term. With Canon you know what you get including it's flaws with Sigma you never know. And no this is not coming from Ken Rockwell :)

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

May 08, 2013 11:23 |  #23

hsmoscout wrote in post #15910219 (external link)
Actually it looks like the Sigma isn't much better:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …p=736&FLIComp=0​&APIComp=0 (external link)

You are comparing the Sigma 30 at 1.4 vs. the Canon at 1.8, not a fair fight (though the Sigma is still a bit better). Try comparing with both at 2.0, 2.8. 4.0 - Sigma 30 is the clear winner.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,163 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined May 2008

May 08, 2013 11:28 |  #24

kin2son wrote in post #15909483 (external link)
The only real advantage to the Canon is being ff compatible, but seriously who wants to use that junk on ff? Its flaws is just gonna show up even more...

Yes, it's useless on FF. Who would ever need a small, light weight wide angle prime lens with reliable, quick AF? :rolleyes:

IMAGE: http://smerryfield.smugmug.com/Events/The-Henry-Ford-Museum-2012/i-B3svnTv/0/L/451A5029-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://smerryfield.smugmug.com/Events/The-Henry-Ford-Museum-2012/i-pWpj8Jh/0/L/451A5052-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://smerryfield.smugmug.com/Events/The-Henry-Ford-Museum-2012/i-ZjL6kq4/0/L/451A5058-L.jpg

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

hdco1209
240 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 08, 2013 12:47 as a reply to  @ filip13's post |  #25

I have the new Sigma 30, I had two copies of the old Sigma 30 and had two copies of the EF 28 1.8, so here's an informed opinion:

New Sigma Art 30: Great lens! So far, I love it as much as I loved the old version, which was a lot. The new 30 (which I'll call the Art 30 for clarity) is sharp, quick to focus and nails focus as consistently as any other lens I have. When it doesn't nail focus, the fault is usually mine. I will say that it's the first lens I've ever had to micro-adjust but setting it at +4 on my 7D gives perfect results. I do not notice a significant difference in image quality between this and the old 30, which is fine because I was delighted with the image quality in the old 30! But here's the thing: I paid $439 for the second version of the old 30 (bought to replace the one I stupidly sold after not using if for awhile and forgetting how good it was...lesson: never sell lenses!!). I bought the second old 30 from Adorama 5 weeks before Sigma announced the Art 30. Luckily, Adorama agreed to a full refund. Love those guys! I bought the Art 30 the minute it was avail and I'm glad I did. Great build quality, love the all-black look, the hood is beefy and performance as noted above is great.

Old Sigma 30 1.4 EX DC HSM: If you've read this far you know that I love this lens. Both copies I had were great. No focus issues. None of the stuff that people go on about in these and other forums. No idea what those people are talking about. It's a great lens with great image quality and build quality. Of course, it depends what you shoot. Apparently the edges are soft. I never noticed because my focus is usually not in the far reaches of the frame and also because I don't spend a lot of time shooting bricks and batteries and whatnot. I liked the crinkle finish but always thought the gold stripe was cheesy so when the Art 30 came out and was only 70 bucks more than I paid for the old 30, I jumped on it. HOWEVER! Had I picked up an old 30 for the 289 price they sold at after the Art 30 announcement, well, I STILL would have gotten the new one but only because I ‘m not that concerned about the cash. If you are going on image quality alone, then I think you could stay with the old 30 and not notice the differences until you start obsessing because of what you’re reading in forums and reviews.

Canon EX 28 1.8 USM: I have had two copies of this lens and though I didn’t puke on either one of them, you might think that from the image quality. At 1.8, there is a bleary, soft, hung-over look to these, like someone smeared Vaseline (or puke) on the front element. Do I exaggerate? Yeah, a bit. But there is absolutely no comparison between this lens and either of the Sigmas. There is no comparison between this lens and the old EX 24mm 2.8 (the old version with no IS that was about $300), which is one of my favorite lenses on the 7D because IQ is great and it’s tiny, light and unobtrusive for those time when you aren’t using your huge white lens to attract chicks. But back to the 28 1.8, let’s end it there because if you can’t say something nice about a lens you shouldn’t say anything at all except to say one more time that it’s really bad and stay away.

Gear

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

May 08, 2013 17:14 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

filip13 wrote in post #15910663 (external link)
Every pro I have asked (that I've met or know) seems to say the same thing "stick with the Canon" it's reliable that's what counts, Sigmas are just not reliable enough or durable long term. With Canon you know what you get including it's flaws with Sigma you never know.

Not saying they are wrong, but these pros you spoke to are probably using 24/35/50L on their ff camera....not the Canon 28...

They are not the same thing.

So unless you are going to step up and ready to spend thousands on L primes, Sigma is the way to go....

nightcat
Goldmember
4,512 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 09, 2013 05:36 |  #27

filip13 wrote in post #15910663 (external link)
Ok since no one knows much about the new one it's hard to judge. I am guessing it's a decent lens since the previous version was so popular even with all those flaws. So at least some aspects of it are good and that f1.4 sounds damn tempting. With usb docket it might be one of those lenses that has added value and sticks around for a while as the strongest value in it's category in terms of speed.

Question then remains is 28 1.8 even a worthwhile investment since it's so old and has pretty average technical reviews and there are no other real competitors. On the other hand it's a FF lens, seems to hold the price well and has produced good enough results for average shooter. Every pro I have asked (that I've met or know) seems to say the same thing "stick with the Canon" it's reliable that's what counts, Sigmas are just not reliable enough or durable long term. With Canon you know what you get including it's flaws with Sigma you never know. And no this is not coming from Ken Rockwell :)

The pros and lens experts aren't saying this when it comes to the 35mm 1.4 lenses. Just about every review says the Zeiss beats out the Canon, and every review says the Sigma beats out the Zeiss. Roger Cicala of Lens Rentals might be the most respected person when it comes to grading lenses, and when it comes to the 35mm 1.4, he does not suggest that you "stick with the Canon". Stick with the Canon is correct about 95% of the time, except for when another brand comes up with a superior product.

filip13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 09, 2013 12:55 as a reply to  @ post 15909561 |  #28

Ok I took the advice of the average users rather than pros and went with the new Sigma. Hopefully I'll get a good copy and will let you know my first impressions as soon as it arrives. Being a mostly canon/tokina fan it will be interesting to see how Sigma stacks up.
Thanks for all the input so far.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 09, 2013 19:10 |  #29

filip13 wrote in post #15914991 (external link)
Ok I took the advice of the average users rather than pros and went with the new Sigma. Hopefully I'll get a good copy and will let you know my first impressions as soon as it arrives. Being a mostly canon/tokina fan it will be interesting to see how Sigma stacks up.
Thanks for all the input so far.

Technically I'm a pro since I sell my images ;)
That is all "pro" means.
I'm pretty sure a very large percentage of users on these forums are "pros".

Although I don't do it for a living, I just shoot as a hobby then put some of my photos up for sale, so perhaps semi-pro is more fitting.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

filip13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 10, 2013 07:21 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #30

Well you know what I mean pros as in people that do this for living and use various gear everyday. People that don't only care about tech specs on the paper but rather how the gear holds up when it comes to various work, print quality, detail issues, colour issues, durability, weight and practicality... I sell images too but it's a hobby really so you could call it semi-pro or enthusiast etc no issues there it's still photography and people still do amazing work. Just usually pros play with expensive gear more often and can compare how these cheaper models really stack up in the real world in terms of value for money. Cheers!

sponsored links

19,809 views & 1 like for this thread
New Sigma 30 1.4 Art vs Old Canon 28 1.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.