Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 00:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60D Users, Unite! (4!)

BGray1
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined May 2013

May 08, 2013 08:09 |  #4186

scotiez wrote in post #15910184 (external link)
What aperture were you using with the 50? At 1.4 the depth of field is very narrow. If taking a photo of a person focus on the eyes. at 1.4 the only thing in focus would be the eyes. In my opinion 1.4 is to narrow for my liking. Portraits should be at 2.8 - 4.0, group shots 4.0 - 11, Landscape should be done f/11 - 22. This is me now ... not every one will agree on my style of shooting, but I think most would agree. But actually the best way to learn is practice practice and practice. Ohh and congrates on the 60D, You'll love it.

Many thanks for the advice - this is exactly the type of info I need! Have to head out now but I'll check later to see what aperture the portrait setting used. Just learning about using the AV setting last night, haven't had the opportunity to put it into practice yet! Thanks again!

Bob

sponsored links
Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
8,501 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 08, 2013 09:42 |  #4187

BGray1 wrote in post #15910148 (external link)
Hi folks, I've just got myself a 60D and am new to DSLR photography. I've so much to learn and am enjoying looking at your wonderful photos. I'm just wondering would you mind putting up the settings you use when taking the photos, so I could learn and help me when experimenting, as I really don't know what I'm doing! Thanking you in anticipation!

Bob

PS I took some photos indoors with my family last week - first time using the 50mm 1.4f lens and was disappointed with the sharpness. The previous week I took some photos with the kit 18-135mm and they were terrific. I'm not sure what happened, as I used similar (basic) settings - the only thing I can think of is that I used a UV filter for the first time. Would the filter make that much of a difference? I'm thinking I'll try again next week and use a lens hood instead?? Any advice gratefully received!

BGray1 wrote in post #15910265 (external link)
Thanks for your answers, it'll take me a good while to get to grips with using manual as I don't understand the relationship between aperture, ISO and speed - yet! I think I'll start by trying to master aperture - and next time use the settings suggested. I used the portrait setting (with default/standard and also daylight/warm). Default seemed to be better. Perhaps the camera set the aperture narrow, I must check? Hard to change settings and concentrate on what I'm doing when trying to take good shots of my very young nephew and niece!! Does shooting with a uv filter degrade photos much - could it explain what happened? From the bit I've read on a couple of forums, opinion seems to be divided as to whether using uv filters is a good idea or not!

Thanks again for all your answers and please give me any more advice you think will help!

Bob

Hi Bob,

Welcome to POTN and the world of photography. You picked a great camera to start learning with.

I learn better watching a video rather than reading a book. I found a book series that comes with a dedicated video for the Canon 60D (and many other makes and models) called "Magic Lantern Guides Multimedia Workshop (external link)".

The book is generic for all digital cameras and there are 2 videos disks, one is also a generic video called "Great Photos with your DSLR" then the other is "Canon EOS 60D Instructional Video" which takes you thru every menu, every switch and helps you get a basic understanding of the camera.

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

dlsfever
288 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 08, 2013 10:36 as a reply to  @ Inspeqtor's post |  #4188

Some pictures from a Photography meetup. Theme was silhouettes

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7327/8714268283_bbd038f978_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/57374675@N02/8​714268283/  (external link)
skater (external link) by dlsfever (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7368/8715392450_f624d5d587_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/57374675@N02/8​715392450/  (external link)
spire (external link) by dlsfever (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7402/8715390492_b60dbc9496_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/57374675@N02/8​715390492/  (external link)
eagle (external link) by dlsfever (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7305/8715390522_055c57fa30_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/57374675@N02/8​715390522/  (external link)
Boba Fett (external link) by dlsfever (external link), on Flickr

Dan

5D III | 60D | Canon 10-22mm | Canon 17-55mm 2.8 | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II | Canon 100mm 2.8L | Sigma 35mm 1.4 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Canon 430 EX II/600 EX RT | YongNuo YN560 II

BGray1
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined May 2013

May 08, 2013 11:47 |  #4189

Inspeqtor wrote in post #15910540 (external link)
Hi Bob,

Welcome to POTN and the world of photography. You picked a great camera to start learning with.

I learn better watching a video rather than reading a book. I found a book series that comes with a dedicated video for the Canon 60D (and many other makes and models) called "Magic Lantern Guides Multimedia Workshop (external link)".

The book is generic for all digital cameras and there are 2 videos disks, one is also a generic video called "Great Photos with your DSLR" then the other is "Canon EOS 60D Instructional Video" which takes you thru every menu, every switch and helps you get a basic understanding of the camera.

Thanks for the info Charles, I must check them out! I got the 60D for Dummies today, reckon it should help things along as well!

Cheers,

Bob

BGray1
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined May 2013

May 08, 2013 11:50 |  #4190

Hinson wrote in post #15910275 (external link)
I've got a bit of different advice but for a different reason. bent toe has given you excellent advice. In order to be a 'great' photographer (as compared to a 'good' photographer) you must master the basics, which means learning to shoot manually and meter lights when using artificial lights. But you can really do a good job with today's cameras by using dedicated flash units and shooting everything in automatic mode.

What I always suggest to those who aspire to photographic greatness is to set the camera on auto and learn composition and natural lighting first. This assumes that you have an 'eye' for photography. No amount of technical expertise can make up for lack of artistic vision.

Good photographers, even those without artistic vision can and do make a good, even great living shooting portraits of people and pets. Great photographers, not only make a great living, but also end up with their photos in museums, galleries and books.

Just my .02 worth:D

ps: post some of your shots so we can see where you are photographically.

Thanks for your helpful comments, I'll put some photos up when I get the chance. I've used compact cameras for many years and I think I have a reasonable eye. It's just the science aspect of working out which settings to use that is confusing me!

All the best,

Bob

Meanderer
312 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 08, 2013 14:36 |  #4191

Hi folks, I've just got myself a 60D and am new to DSLR photography. I've so much to learn and am enjoying looking at your wonderful photos. I'm just wondering would you mind putting up the settings you use when taking the photos, so I could learn and help me when experimenting, as I really don't know what I'm doing! Thanking you in anticipation!

Bob

Congrats on your purchase and your choice Bob.
There are limits to posting images directly on this site so it is recommended you make use of an on-line Hosting site for your images and use the "links" they provide to post on here. The image will show up right here as if they were posted here in the first place.
I used to use Photobucket for years for other reasoons but since taking up photography, I now use and prefer Flickr.com .
Look at some of the images posted here and click on them. They are probably hosted at Flickr and you will go to that image in the poster's account. Then if you look at the Actions Tab above the photo on Flickr, select "View EXIF Info" from that drop down menu. It will show you ALL the settings used for the image .... providing the account owner has not Disabled that facility ... [Darstedly act ;)]
If you have a problem, then that also allows "helpers" to see what setting you had for the image and offer advice as to what is wrong or can be improved.
Get off the AUTO as soon as possible. One way to is use one of the Priority Modes such as Tv (Shutter Speed Priority) or Av (Aperture Priority). Select one of those when you understand which is more important to achieve what you desire in the photo.
"Understanding Exposure" is a fantastic book. Once you get to experiment more with the camera by Practice, Practice, Practice, the book will make even more sense! Initial readings are a guide and subsequent readings become valuable knowledge.
Be careful not to allow the Quality of Other People's images intimidate you. There are very few images that are ever displayed that are Straight Out Of Camera (SOOC). Post Editing with software (Photoshop, GIMP, Lightroom etc) is all apart of achieving great images. :)
Happy Days :D

Rick.
G'day! I'm an Aussie with Permanent Residency in Canada. 60D | Canon 18-55mm IS | Canon 55-250mm IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 |Σ 70-200 EX DG OS |Σ 24-105 f4| Yongnuo 685 Flash | Yongnuo 560iii Flash | Yongnuo YN622C-TX Controller | pair Yongnuo RF-603C remote triggers
"It doesn't take me all day to do a day's work!"

Monkey ­ moss
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 08, 2013 16:41 |  #4192

^ ^ Good advice Rick

Good luck and welcome Bob. Put me down for a +1 on what Rick said!!

Jon :cool::oops::D:cry::confused::(:lol:
My Flickr (external link)

Hinson
Goldmember
2,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

May 08, 2013 22:07 |  #4193

Meanderer wrote in post #15911586 (external link)
There are limits to posting images directly on this site so it is recommended you make use of an on-line Hosting site for your images and use the "links" they provide to post on here. The image will show up right here as if they were posted here in the first place.
I used to use Photobucket for years for other reasoons but since taking up photography, I now use and prefer Flickr.com .
Look at some of the images posted here and click on them. They are probably hosted at Flickr and you will go to that image in the poster's account. Then if you look at the Actions Tab above the photo on Flickr, select "View EXIF Info" from that drop down menu. It will show you ALL the settings used for the image .... providing the account owner has not Disabled that facility ... [Darstedly act ;)]
If you have a problem, then that also allows "helpers" to see what setting you had for the image and offer advice as to what is wrong or can be improved.
Get off the AUTO as soon as possible. One way to is use one of the Priority Modes such as Tv (Shutter Speed Priority) or Av (Aperture Priority). Select one of those when you understand which is more important to achieve what you desire in the photo.
"Understanding Exposure" is a fantastic book. Once you get to experiment more with the camera by Practice, Practice, Practice, the book will make even more sense! Initial readings are a guide and subsequent readings become valuable knowledge.
Be careful not to allow the Quality of Other People's images intimidate you. There are very few images that are ever displayed that are Straight Out Of Camera (SOOC). Post Editing with software (Photoshop, GIMP, Lightroom etc) is all apart of achieving great images. :)

Excellent post...

Artist tools: Lumix FZ1000 (Canon 60D, 28/2.8, 10-22mm, Tamron 28-300mm VC ALL NOW FOR SALE - REASONABLE OFFER)
Blog: www.jerrywhitephotogra​phy.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,626 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 08, 2013 22:44 |  #4194

Bob

PS I took some photos indoors with my family last week - first time using the 50mm 1.4f lens and was disappointed with the sharpness. The previous week I took some photos with the kit 18-135mm and they were terrific. I'm not sure what happened, as I used similar (basic) settings - the only thing I can think of is that I used a UV filter for the first time. Would the filter make that much of a difference? I'm thinking I'll try again next week and use a lens hood instead?? Any advice gratefully received!

Bob, with each digital photo comes a record of the settings called Exif Data. You can Google Exif and you will find free Exif readers for every operating system.

You install it (sometimes it's just a browser add-on) and then you right click and select it.

You get a read out like this:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i37.photobucket​.com …7229g1024_zpsf0​58789d.jpg (external link)

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: EF50mm f/1.8 II
Image Date: 2013-03-14 19:58:25 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 50mm
Aperture: f/2.0
Exposure Time: 0.0063 s (1/160)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: +0.67 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Copyright: GPL CreativeCommons-non commercial use

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

BGray1
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined May 2013

May 09, 2013 07:57 |  #4195

Meanderer wrote in post #15911586 (external link)

Many thanks for your helpful reply, not feeling quite so intimidated now! Better go and do some work,

Cheers,

Bob

treebound
547 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

May 09, 2013 08:57 |  #4196

I went to make a couple of prints from a grandkid's birthday party and man oh man is the lighting really funky. Existing light in the room was a mixture of daylight from windows and tungstin (sp?) and flourescent interior lighting, shadows ranging from mellow to harsh, wall paint colors from deep and rich to bright and reflective. Most were shot with existing light, a few were with the popup flash. I'm probably going to eventually be the only relative at the family functions sporting a separate and/or camera mounted flash with a diffuser of some sort attached to it. So now I find myself thinking of addimg a flash to my kit instead of another lens.

Oh well, just rambling outloud. I think I much prefer being outdoors.

carry on .... :)

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

May 09, 2013 09:09 |  #4197

Welcome, Bob and congrats on your new camera. I second some of the book suggestions. I have both the David Busch 60D book and Understanding Exposure: worth the price of admission.

As has been mentioned, you'll probably want to learn how to do some post processing. Your camera came with DPP (Digital Photo Professional) on a disk. You can begin to learn post processing there for "free". I ended up using Lightroom 4 and while I'm still a novice, I'm learning.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

hjl
158 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 09, 2013 10:34 |  #4198

1/6, f/8, ISO 6400, 8mm fisheye. Actually added *more* grain in LR4.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7381/8721652897_a8a28721db_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/hjl/8721652897/  (external link)
Another night at the back of the bus (external link) by hjl (external link), on Flickr

BGray1
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined May 2013

May 09, 2013 13:45 |  #4199

Phoenixkh wrote in post #15914181 (external link)
Welcome, Bob and congrats on your new camera. I second some of the book suggestions. I have both the David Busch 60D book and Understanding Exposure: worth the price of admission.

As has been mentioned, you'll probably want to learn how to do some post processing. Your camera came with DPP (Digital Photo Professional) on a disk. You can begin to learn post processing there for "free". I ended up using Lightroom 4 and while I'm still a novice, I'm learning.

Thanks for the info, I haven't used the disk yet - I presumed it was just for back up! I've been looking into Lightroom and Photoshop and have ordered Photoshop Elements as it seems more suitable for me. I won't be taking RAW photos as I don't have the time to process them, so I think I'll get a lot out of Photoshop Elements when I figure out how to use it!

Cheers,

Bob

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

May 09, 2013 15:08 |  #4200

IMAGE: http://24.media.tumblr.com/8ee5ed06cc791abf22798f76d60a1c9b/tumblr_mmjrlay1sX1rtbm54o1_500.jpg

IMAGE: http://25.media.tumblr.com/5b03dbef2279ade856421f2116bd56b1/tumblr_mmjr7qBbCS1rtbm54o1_500.jpg

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

sponsored links

1,565,915 views & 386 likes for this thread
Canon 60D Users, Unite! (4!)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.