Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 May 2013 (Wednesday) 00:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DPP -> LR4 <-> CS6

phonguyen
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 08, 2013 00:42 |  #1

Hi,
I just have a silly question. How do you process your photos?
I usually copy all from memory card to computer then open DPP to do little adjustment. Then detail adjustment between LR4 and CS6.

Please share some experiences since i'm trying to find the best way to pp. Thank you.

sponsored links
russellsnr2
Goldmember
1,051 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Mar 2005

May 08, 2013 01:01 |  #2

I do the same except why put through DPP when you have L/R 4 and CS 6?

Many Thanks,
Russell.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,567 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 08, 2013 01:08 |  #3

Import raw files from memory card in LR4, copying files to computer

Export JPGs are needed

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,494 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 08, 2013 01:31 |  #4

The thing that DPP has is color fidelity, if that is important to you. It isn't to me; I shoot Raw in order make my own colors. The thing DPP lacks is utilization of all the Dynamic Range your camera can capture; a major fault for me.

I presume you are generating tiffs from DPP and taking them into LR. If you are only editing Raws and saving the edits, LR is totally unaware of those edits (which are only saved as a set of instructions for DPP and can only be read by DPP - the Raw image data itself is unchanged) and it's as though you never visited DPP at all.

Elie / אלי

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,639 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 08, 2013 07:39 |  #5

tzalman wrote in post #15909677 (external link)
The thing DPP lacks is utilization of all the Dynamic Range your camera can capture; a major fault for me.

Elie, can you elaborate please?

MikeT2i
83 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 08, 2013 08:49 |  #6

I use DPP to download the files from my camera to my hard drive. I don't use DPP for anything else other than that. I then open lightroom and start importing the pics I want to work with. I know LR's download feature set seems a lot better than DPP for downloading to hard drive but I'm just more comfortable with DPP doing it. One of these days I'll master the download process and naming features in LR but for now it's DPP

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 08, 2013 09:24 |  #7

I use lightroom to rename and copy the files from my memory card.

Then I process the files in lightroom. When needed I roundtrip with photoshop.

Then export final jpeg's from lightroom.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

May 08, 2013 10:47 |  #8

dalto wrote in post #15910487 (external link)
I use lightroom to rename and copy the files from my memory card.

Then I process the files in lightroom. When needed I roundtrip with photoshop.

Then export final jpeg's from lightroom.

This is what I do. Much more efficient workflow.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,093 posts
Gallery: 554 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 08, 2013 11:11 |  #9

agedbriar wrote in post #15910211 (external link)
Elie, can you elaborate please?

The problem with DPP is that it is not really very good at extracting detail from both highlights and shadows at the same time. For that matter it is not very good at extracting highlight detail full stop. LR, or ACR for that matter, is much better at this, especially when using Process 2012, which was introduced with LR 4/ACR 7.This is very often demonstrated by recovering extremely "overexposed" images. What this actually allows though is an ability to expose for the shadows, without losing highlight detail, thus improving SNR in the shadows, and increasing the apparent DR of the image. This is great as in my old 20D which is 12 bit the highest value for any sensel is 4096, and in the linear space of a RAW file 18% grey (well actually 12.5% to hit a power of two) is 512, so all the shades below the mid tone have to fit in to 512 values while the three stops above it can fit into the other 3584 values. What's more the sensor in my camera tops out at a value of 3968, so I don't even get the full range. Of course the newer 14 bit cameras have more values available, 16384, and the mid tone becomes 2048, but there are still a lot more "bright" values available than "dark" ones. Using RAW Digger is a very good way to actually look at the RAW data coming from the camera, the RGGB Histogram it provides is actually very useful. It would be great if Canon would provide that option in camera for RAW exposures, instead of the histogram of the processed JPEG image.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,494 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 08, 2013 12:24 |  #10

a.b.,
a picture is worth a kilo of words, so here's 2 kilos.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/elied/animations/_MG_7115dpp.jpg

This is a nice long tonal range scene, between the white foam on the water and the dark fur trees on the far bank there is a lot of difference. For the DPP version, even though I put Highlights all the way to the left I still had to reduce exposure by 0.33 in order not to clip. Of course this darkened the trees also, so I put Shadows all the way to the right. That didn't help much, so in the RGB tab I applied a curve with about the top 1/4 anchored and lifting the shadows. But the problem with curves is that when you increase contrast in one part you flatten it in another, so I lost midtone contrast.

The LR development was just basic, no brushes or radial filters or HSL adjustments, or any of that fancy stuff. The only thing unusual was that for the sake of the demonstration I pushed Highlights and Shadows to their extremes (-100 and +100, respectively). Somewhat more than I would have normally done.

Both were with the Faithful profile, DPP with +4 Saturation and LR with +25 Vibrance.

Elie / אלי

phonguyen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 08, 2013 15:20 |  #11

Great comments guys. Thank you.
The thing I noticed when using LR is when I import photo it doesn't look anything like what I saw in camera. It is a bit "off" color wise. It looks flat and lifeless. I read a thread in forum saying at LR generates a quick preview that sometimes doesn't look right. (Sorry for my bad English). When I open photo in DPP it looks exactly how I see it in camera.
So my second question is "did I import wrong? Or it is how LR usually generate preview image? And should I process from LR preview until I get final image?"
Thank you.

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 08, 2013 15:36 |  #12

phonguyen wrote in post #15911776 (external link)
Great comments guys. Thank you.
The thing I noticed when using LR is when I import photo it doesn't look anything like what I saw in camera. It is a bit "off" color wise. It looks flat and lifeless. I read a thread in forum saying at LR generates a quick preview that sometimes doesn't look right. (Sorry for my bad English). When I open photo in DPP it looks exactly how I see it in camera.
So my second question is "did I import wrong? Or it is how LR usually generate preview image? And should I process from LR preview until I get final image?"
Thank you.

This is because DPP is reading all the settings from your camera and applying more modifications by default. Lightroom uses a much more neutral conversion. In camera calibration on the bottom right hand side you can select one of the default Canon styles instead.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,093 posts
Gallery: 554 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 08, 2013 15:38 |  #13

DPP's default conversion is identical to the in camera JPEG, as DPP is able to read the proprietory Canon data from the file thus matching the camera processing. This is great if you want quick access to a finished JPEG with minimal work, which is what Canon thinks you want.

Adobe on the other hand has no access to the proprietory Canon data and has a different philosophy, Adobe beleive that you chose to shoot RAW because you know what you are doing. They beleive that you want to make those choices yourself. Because of this Adobe defaults to a very conservative conversion which they expect you to work on. Adobe do though provide you with some different profiles, which change the look of the default conversion, without changing any of the sliders. These are named, and are similar in effect to the Canon Picture Styles of the same name.

The issue with previews in LR and other non Canon RAW converters is that each RAW file contains a converted JPEG inbeded in it. Initially this is used as the preview until the actual RAW conversion can be generated. This is the cause of the classic LR ruined my photo complaints.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,639 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 08, 2013 15:58 |  #14

I see, guys - thanks!

phonguyen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 08, 2013 22:52 |  #15

dalto: thank you so much for the tip
BigAl007: thank you for in-dept explaination..
i know i hit the jackpot when stumbled on this forum.
Cheers.

sponsored links

1,887 views & 0 likes for this thread
DPP -> LR4 <-> CS6
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.