Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 May 2013 (Thursday) 09:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bird Photographer needs guidance

WobblyWilly
29 posts
Joined May 2013

May 09, 2013 09:11 |  #1

Hi All!

After years of kicking and scratching, I am finally taking the plunge to move to DSLR.

However, I really don't know what the best camera for my bird-watching hobby would be, so I'm here to appeal for help. Firstly, I will be buying second-hand, as I am not terribly wealthy, but here's what I think I need:

Weather-resistant
Great in low light conditions
Very fast
Good pixelation as I would very much like to frame a few of the better results.

Anything I need that I don't realise I need? :o

Thanks! :lol:

Digital = Canon 7D, 'Super-telephoto' Canon EF28-80mm 3.5-5.6!,
Film = 2 x Canon T90s, Canon AE-1, Canon FD 400mm 4.5

sponsored links
aliengin
Goldmember
1,158 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 09, 2013 09:19 |  #2

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …EOS_1D_X_EOS_Di​gital.html (external link)

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2007

May 09, 2013 09:23 |  #3

WobblyWilly wrote in post #15914186 (external link)
Anything I need that I don't realise I need? :o

Thanks! :lol:

Good Glass the EF100-400 would be a good starter

as for Camera I would say 7D

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS QGP
My Website (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,443 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 09, 2013 09:24 |  #4

What sort of a budget are you working with (for both body and lens(es))? There are many great options, but for real results with birding things are not cheap. With a better idea of the budget you're working with we can give you some better advice.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

RLJSlick
416 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 09, 2013 09:25 |  #5

If you're a Canon shooting and want a excellent birding camera, I would certainly look at the Canon 7D. Not only does it have very fast frames per second, but with the 1.6 crop, you will get 40% closer to your subject. In my birding group, almost everyone has a 7D along with other bodies.
Also now that rumored 7D mkII has surface, you should be able to get a excellent deal on them.
Even though I also have a 5D mk III I still use my 7D for my birding. Good luck

PS See, even Snydremark has a 7D! :)

Ricky

Ricky L. Jones
Canon 7Dmk II, 5Dmk III, 7D, 50D
About me (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Google+ (external link)
Facebook (external link)

WobblyWilly
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined May 2013

May 09, 2013 09:42 as a reply to  @ RLJSlick's post |  #6

Wow!

You guys are fassssssst!

Thanks for everything so far. In reply to the budget, things get a little tickly as I am doing this as an ongoing plan. Basically I have 800quid now which will cover a used 7D but which is waaay short of the 5D MKIII and oh so far short of the 1D MKIV, which I lust after like it was on page 3 of the Sun!

That said, I am willing to save, scrimp and scratch if necessary, (and it will be) as once I get the camera, I will have zero savings for the lens/s, but realise I will have to fork out a decent amount.

Point is, if I can determine what I am saving for, the process will speed up considerably! :p:D

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 09, 2013 09:50 |  #7

Don´t bother with the 5D3 or 1D4 if this is your very first DSLR. You´d put a LOT of money on that and perhaps not use the most of it.
7D is the way to go. GREAT camera for the price, 1.6x crop is desireable for birders and I know GREAT professionals that use it on top of its bigger brothers.

Lens wise you have many options, from "less quality less budget" (like the Sigma 150-500 OS) all the way to "great quality meidum budget" as the 100-400L, 400L or 300L.
All those are great to start, but if you are serious about it I'd say the 7D + 100-400L is hard to beat in quality.

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

May 09, 2013 10:04 |  #8

also depends on how you shoot. maybe get a T2i/Rebel for a body and put the money saved into a good lens. the rebel/entry level DSLRs are amazingly good.

the sigma BigMos is nice reach, and very acceptable quality/price ratio (50-500 OS) , but if you want ultimate quality, your going to the L lenses. 500L IS or a 300 L + 2x TC will get you amazing results.

with the sigma, your going to be shooting ~F7-9ish to get good sharpness, with the L lens, wide open (F4 for the 500, F2.8 for 300, 5.6 with the TC) is still really sharp, bottom line, the better lens will make a nicer final image for your body to work with.

even the 100-400 isn't BAD (better than the sigma, I think), but unless your sneaking up on birds and need the zoom, it's hard to be those big prime lenses :)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,443 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 09, 2013 10:05 |  #9

7D + a Canon 100-400 for broad spectrum shooting; or a 400 f/5.6 if you're going for, mainly, birds in flight.

As far as feature balance/function vs price, the 7D is still the sweet spot for birding. However, if you're willing to give a little bit on ISO speed and a little less complex AF system, the 40/50D are still terrific bodies and you can take care of any weather-related issues by picking up a couple of RainSleeves (http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …18_Rainsleeve_S​et_of.html (external link)). Heck, I recommend picking those up even if you get a 7D...they're really great to have tucked in your bag.

The 400 prime is faster to focus and will help you the birds before they're gone, but doesn't offer the flexibility and IS that the zoom does.

The zoom has better minimum focusing distance (MFD), so can be used when the feather-brains get a little closer and the zoom can help there, too. The push/pull design of the lens puts some people off, but now that I've used it for a few years I prefer it for this application. While the IS system gets dinged for being old, it still works well enough to be able to shoot down to around 1/60 @ 400mm once you have your lens technique down well.

Regarding budget options for lenses, you can certainly (and should) look at some of the Sigma options for longer zooms, too. The Sigma 150-500 and 50-500 are a couple of options that enjoy some popularity, as well, and can usually be had for less than the Canon options.

Some offer up the 300 f/4 and a 1.4x TC as a good option, but I caution against anything requiring a TC for a dedicated birding setup as you wind sacrificing shots, while trying to fiddle with adding the TC and having your subject leave, or, you're shooting at a focal length that you'd have with a "native" lens and introducing possibilities of the TC impacting your image quality. It's less likely when using a prime than when slapping one on a zoom, but the possibilities are still there.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

ghost68
163 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 09, 2013 10:15 |  #10

Another vote for a 7D + 100-400... Don't forget to budget for a decent Tripod and gimbal head!

Smugmug (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,708 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 09, 2013 10:28 |  #11

7D or 1DIII (used) with the 100-400mm.

And I am going to be contrary to ghost68 here (sorry :) ) and suggest you hold off on a Tripod.
The 100-400mm has IS, is excellent to use hand held. (I've never put on mine on a tripod except to do focus alignment ;) )

On a budget, I'd much rather see £ go into the body glass and CF cards.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,302 posts
Joined Nov 2003

May 09, 2013 10:39 |  #12

I've got the 7D and EF100-400, they do make a great pair.. The only thing more I could want is a 1dX with an EF600 f/4 lens :)

In case you don't know, there are forums here on POTN dedicated to birds...

The general bird photography talk forum is here -> https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=122

The bird photo sharing forum is here -> https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=91 (And there are some GREAT shots there :) )

WobblyWilly
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined May 2013

May 09, 2013 12:37 as a reply to  @ Jim_T's post |  #13

I can't believe I have so many great replies in so little time!

Thank you all so much - it's still amazing to me that like-minded people are so happy to share info, anecdotes and the like. Kudos to you all!

Really glad to read that you have a dedicated birding section too. I was actually motivated to get back into bird photography by a series of pics on a site here in SA. The girl was using a 1D MKIV with a Canon 400mm 5.6 and , occasionally, a 1.4 times converter. (I take it this is the TC you refer to?)

Superb shots, they were, and my interest was piqued.

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 09, 2013 12:58 |  #14

WobblyWilly wrote in post #15914925 (external link)
I can't believe I have so many great replies in so little time!

Thank you all so much - it's still amazing to me that like-minded people are so happy to share info, anecdotes and the like. Kudos to you all!

Really glad to read that you have a dedicated birding section too. I was actually motivated to get back into bird photography by a series of pics on a site here in SA. The girl was using a 1D MKIV with a Canon 400mm 5.6 and , occasionally, a 1.4 times converter. (I take it this is the TC you refer to?)

Superb shots, they were, and my interest was piqued.

This is actually something only 1D cameras and the 5D Mark 3 will allow you: auto-focus with a f/5.6 lens and a teleconverter.
The 7D will let you af thelens WITHOUT the converter, or af with any lens as fast as f/4, as its AF points are only sensitive to f/5.6, while the 1D series are sensitive to f/8 (f/5.6 + 1 stop from the converter).

Of course this is great stuff for birders, but I still think if you are starting and/or have a low budget, the 7D + 100-400 is just awesome performance per dollar with 1.6x crop, while lighter and smaller to carry than a 1D4, that is bulky and has a 1.3x crop factor.

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,152 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined May 2008

May 09, 2013 13:00 |  #15

I'll add to the 7D + 100-400L recommendations. While there are certainly better options, this is a great "bang for the buck" solution. The 500mm and 600mm prime lenses are great, but they are very expensive.

As for a tripod, unlike Jake I do use my 100-400L on a tripod at times, although it is not difficult to hand hold. I also have a monopod, but I use that less than the tripod -- lately the monopod only gets used on zoo visits.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

6,073 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bird Photographer needs guidance
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.