Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 07 May 2013 (Tuesday) 07:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop - Subscription Only from now on

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 08, 2013 13:42 |  #31

Colorblinded wrote in post #15911113 (external link)
This is nonsense.

That aside, even Adobe have not really said this has anything to do with it and it will certainly still be pirated once people get their hands on it. It just won't be Photoshop CS7, it'll be Photoshop CC, August 2013 version.

If Adobe wanted to combat piracy, drastically increasing the cost of using their products for a great many people (particularly those more likely to be on the edge of being able and willing to pay for it) is not a good way to go about it. Time and time again reasonable pricing and ease of access/use have shown to be the best deterrents to pricing. Nobody likes to be price gouged and then jump through hoops to use the software they've overpaid for. Hopefully this will hurt Adobe badly and they will actually follow a reasonable path.

If anything, given how many are viewing this as hostile/negative treatment towards their customers, this may drive up piracy or abandonment of Adobe software entirely.

The thing is, $20 a month isn't that reasonable for a great many people who were version skippers (such as myself). There are plenty of people who buy every other or every two versions and Adobe used to allow that. They've been cutting back on that, now it's gone entirely. Are these people going to suddenly start paying $240 per year? I know I am not likely to consider it for just Photoshop. They may go from getting some money from many of these people to none as the either seek alternatives, stick to their old version or pirate the CC version.

Exactly, at least to the point of pricing not helping. I am honest, so I always buy my stuff. However, a lot of folks will not buy it at that price, and will pirate it. Me? I'm gonna get all the stuff together for my big project of the year, buy Premiere at $20 for one month, and Adobe will get neither the $800 that they might have gotten for a physical version, nor the $3,000 plus that they might have gotten if I subscribed for years. :lol:

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

sponsored links
James ­ P
Goldmember
1,904 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 08, 2013 19:10 |  #32

It looks like I'll be running CS6 for a long, long time. There is no way I'm going to be a part of Adobe's consumer gouging scheme.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

StarJack
608 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 08, 2013 22:08 |  #33

OK, if I'm reading this correctly, and from what I can see on The Adobe website...

Last week, I could give Adobe $300 (give or take) for an upgrade from CS5 to CS6 and get a box shipped to me that had the software on disc. Now, if I want to upgrade, I have to sign up for a monthly fee, and lose access to the software if I do not opt to continue paying that monthly fee?

Regards,
Steve

jwkramer
THREAD ­ STARTER
959 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2003

May 09, 2013 06:48 |  #34

Yep. That pretty much sums it up.

StarJack wrote in post #15913049 (external link)
OK, if I'm reading this correctly, and from what I can see on The Adobe website...

Last week, I could give Adobe $300 (give or take) for an upgrade from CS5 to CS6 and get a box shipped to me that had the software on disc. Now, if I want to upgrade, I have to sign up for a monthly fee, and lose access to the software if I do not opt to continue paying that monthly fee?

-Jim
Please Visit My Website! (external link)
I'm no Einstein, but I do own 3 of them...

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 09, 2013 08:21 |  #35

Ah...hell! I just dropped major coin at B&H, buying the CS6 & LR4 box sets. Who knows if it was the right move? Least I'm done with it for a few years. I hope.

OUCH!

kevan's lens (external link)

jwkramer
THREAD ­ STARTER
959 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2003

May 09, 2013 08:49 |  #36

Doesn't sound like a bad move to me. At least now you will have CS6 for as long as you like with no additional outlay of cash. I guess when all those are gone, tough luck.

Kevan wrote in post #15914026 (external link)
Ah...hell! I just dropped major coin at B&H, buying the CS6 & LR4 box sets. Who knows if it was the right move? Least I'm done with it for a few years. I hope.

OUCH!

-Jim
Please Visit My Website! (external link)
I'm no Einstein, but I do own 3 of them...

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 09, 2013 08:57 |  #37

jwkramer wrote in post #15914123 (external link)
Doesn't sound like a bad move to me. At least now you will have CS6 for as long as you like with no additional outlay of cash. I guess when all those are gone, tough luck.

Yeah, I didn't want to get to the point where Adobe started instructing merchants to pull the product from their shelves, or something along those lines. I tossed and turned about this during the night and thought I'd check out the prices at the local Staples. I ran from the store, them wanting $699 for CS6.

Steve ­ Beck
Goldmember
2,503 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 09, 2013 09:09 |  #38

Until you buy a new camera and need raw support and cs6 is not inch updated anymore.. I'm moving my entire workflow to aperture, on-one plugin suite since it is standalone, topaz stuff. Don't need above for anything. They can stick their software rental where the sun doesn't shine.

Gear List? My gear is bigger than yours? Just shoot have fun...

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 09, 2013 09:56 as a reply to  @ Steve Beck's post |  #39

This seems like marketing suicide. Even if the corporate users continue to use it, a huge chunk of the domestic customer market are going to drift away.

Though I wonder what the price will be for registered charities and educational establishments..

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 09, 2013 10:33 |  #40

Steve Beck wrote in post #15914179 (external link)
I'm moving my entire workflow to aperture

but my understanding is aperture = lightroom which means it's not exactly for full-blown photo-editing, no?

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Steve ­ Beck
Goldmember
2,503 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 09, 2013 10:50 |  #41

What full blown editing can I do in ps I can't do in the OnOne suite and aperture? Oneone has layers, ability to mask and cut, resize, crop, edit etc. hell I can even use iPhoto for basic stuff as well if needed. I can make my workflow work without adobe in my life. I absolutely will not rent softwre from them. I've been a loyal customer buying every retail release of photoshop since photoshop 4 when I started using it. I he a held full of adobe boxes I purchased over years. They have lost me as a customer.

Gear List? My gear is bigger than yours? Just shoot have fun...

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 09, 2013 12:15 |  #42

The thing is...we've been warned for a couple years now that most software suppliers would be taking this route, where programs would be internet-based subscription licensed, and no longer reside on our HD's. It will be interesting to see how quickly more vendors follow this route with their products, and if the consumer will come around to the new way of doing things. I'm sure that they, the vendors, have built into their marketing strategy the 'customer baulk period'. I suspect we are right on schedule.

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,661 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

May 09, 2013 12:37 |  #43

Kevan wrote in post #15914829 (external link)
where programs would be internet-based subscription licensed, and no longer reside on our HD's.

Adobe is not doing this.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,233 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 09, 2013 13:47 |  #44

Colorblinded wrote in post #15914927 (external link)
Adobe is not doing this.

No, in one sense because you will still have the program resident on your drive. But adobe would be pushing updates and verifying permission via the internet so it may be a distinction without a difference.

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,661 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

May 09, 2013 14:07 |  #45

gonzogolf wrote in post #15915199 (external link)
No, in one sense because you will still have the program resident on your drive. But adobe would be pushing updates and verifying permission via the internet so it may be a distinction without a difference.

I'd say it's a pretty significant difference. If it were cloud based software Adobe wouldn't be pushing anything to you except a video and control feed. You'd need an always on connection to use it and could conceivably log in to it from any computer with a browser. Since the software has to be downloaded and installed, at that point you're not dependent on the cloud and can disconnect for some period of time. Adobe even admits this makes them prone to piracy just as before. You couldn't pirate it if it were truly a cloud service because then the software isn't on your computer.

What I am curious about is how they'll push updates, if it's similar to how it used to be or if they've made significant changes, but that's not changing much either way.

As far as verifying permission, aside from doing it more often it doesn't seem like they've yet implemented big changes from how the boxed software worked. I'd like to know more about it technically but the only thing cloudy about this service is the cloud storage and whatever other synchronization options Adobe offers.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

sponsored links

23,328 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop - Subscription Only from now on
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.