Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 27 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 10:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are you Flickr or 500px?

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 03, 2013 05:23 |  #16

Seems to be a mixed bag then :) , still Haven't decided what I'll do.

That Pixoto seems a lot like 500px, I see what some of you mean regarding top photos not exactly being top and only down to how many friend on Facebook you have ha-ha.

I hate all that, I was a member of a page on FB that had a weekly voting comp and that was the same, I could see people begging for votes
I actually deactivated my personal account and created a pseudonym just to administer my Photography page, I couldn't stand the constant attention seeking posts on a daily basis..and the 'On the bus' or 'having dinner' statuses.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
Arob1000
836 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Apr 03, 2013 21:50 as a reply to  @ *Jayrou's post |  #17

I like the way Pixoto forces you to choose 1 photo over another (without knowing who took the photo) and then averages that all out to produce a ranking, better voting system than 500px.

The 500px site is much nicer though.

Website (external link) :cool:500px (external link) :cool: Flickr (external link) :cool: Facebook (external link) :cool:Blog (external link):cool:

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,602 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 04, 2013 21:17 |  #18

500px for the most part!

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D III | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 85L 1.4 IS | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

sunshinenorcas
27 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 07, 2013 03:22 |  #19

I like them both! I usually use flickr for my batches/albums to show off a group of pictures. It's also handy for the volunteer work I do- I load a bunch of files and let whoever go through and pick what they want to use. 500px is the portfolio with my best work that's touched up and what I show off :) It's just two different sites with different functions

Canon EOS REBEL 650D || 18-55mm EF-S IS II || 55-250mm EF-S IS II || 40mm STM
Tumblr (external link) || DevART (external link) || Twitter (external link) || Project360 (external link)||500px (external link)

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 09, 2013 15:23 |  #20

I'm a long time Flickr user, and recently made account to 500px. Overall it looks candier and nicer, but man I hate those constant floodings of "Hey dud3, pl3ase l00k at my Phot0s!"

Really ruins the experience..

So I vote Flickr to be the better one. Too bad we live in such times that one has to stay up with the latest social medias, and 500px seems to be the thing right now :p. Hopefully Flickr will some day improve the overall look on their website to better one.

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 09, 2013 18:18 |  #21

I post most of my photos on flickr, for easy sharing with family and on forums and such. 500px I rarely use, but I find the photos posted on the site are generally of a higher quality.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

regnis
456 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 09, 2013 18:49 |  #22

splathecat wrote in post #15767757 (external link)
500px ...

Most popular picture in nature today?

http://500px.com/photo​/29444417?from=popular (external link)

Some flowers that don't look much different to some in my garden, with the white balance not quite right and bokeh like it was his first time using a lens that goes down to 1.8. This in the place where you could count on getting the best wildlife pictures on the net not 12 months ago.

Most popular picture today?

http://500px.com/photo​/29458589?from=popular (external link)

LOOK AT THAT BACKGROUND. YUCK.

WTF?? Am I missing something? I haven't used 500px but after seeing those comments in regard to those photos I don't think I will be. I am no Ansel Adams but both those photos, the "portrait" in particular, are terrible. I am sometimes a fan off "if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all" but in this case I have to say WTF?!?!

---Adam--- Facebook (external link)
Canon 1Dx MK II, Canon 5Dmk3 x 2, Sony A7sII, Tamron 24-70 VC, Canon 35 f1.4 II, Zeiss 35-70 f3.4, Sigma 50 f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II Canon 135L f2, Tamron 150-600 SP VC,

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 09, 2013 21:52 |  #23

Tmuussoni wrote in post #15915494 (external link)
Too bad we live in such times that one has to stay up with the latest social medias, and 500px seems to be the thing right now.

Wow.

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 10, 2013 04:16 |  #24

namtot wrote in post #15916627 (external link)
Wow.

I forgot the sarcasm smiley there. I apologize. :lol:

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

ktan7
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 10, 2013 14:37 |  #25

I use flickr mainly, just because it is more user friendly.

Vancouver wedding photography (external link)
Picture blog (external link)
Mexico wedding photographer (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

May 10, 2013 14:53 |  #26

I am getting to the point that I am just deleting any comments that mention anything about viewing their photos, etc...

It's downright rude to post a comment with sole intent on driving your own agenda.

I wish I could just turn comments off actually.

regnis
456 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 10, 2013 20:20 |  #27

Todd Lambert wrote in post #15918982 (external link)
I am getting to the point that I am just deleting any comments that mention anything about viewing their photos, etc...

It's downright rude to post a comment with sole intent on driving your own agenda.

Completely agree. In saying "check out my photos" you're pretty much advertising that you're a dick, and are discouraging anyone from checking out your shots at the same time.

---Adam--- Facebook (external link)
Canon 1Dx MK II, Canon 5Dmk3 x 2, Sony A7sII, Tamron 24-70 VC, Canon 35 f1.4 II, Zeiss 35-70 f3.4, Sigma 50 f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II Canon 135L f2, Tamron 150-600 SP VC,

splathecat
57 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 11, 2013 18:52 |  #28

pewelldconnor wrote in post #15920665 (external link)
Flickr is easier to navigate and use. 500 px is a bit complicated.

You bet. The navigation either relies on a pointless popularity contest (rating) or hashtags that are entirely optional.

You can say the same about Flickr, but at least they have groups for people with similar interests, not just people who post the same wow great capture comment on 1,000 photos.

500px has style, but it also has an intrusive value system with a giant whopping big number that stares you right in the face. I find it pretty offensive, particularly when people downvote for no real reason. There were allegedly some nice people who went about down-voting various religious symbols they didn't like when the site had downvotes.

Flickr explore is much easier to ignore. And being based on favorites felt more 'real' than 'likes' and ratings, because people chose what they actually wanted to see again.

http://500px.com/photo​/26501263 (external link)

97.4 rating and it wasn't even in focus. There will be millions of better images out there with a lower rating just because the photographer isn't a social media addict.

Arob1000
836 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

May 12, 2013 20:18 |  #29

Todd Lambert wrote in post #15918982 (external link)

I agree,

I'm interested to see what 500px will do once they revamp their portfolios. They need to chance some stuff up...I'm starting to use/like FLICKR better at this point, there are more meaningful comments and it isn't as much of a popularity contest.

Website (external link) :cool:500px (external link) :cool: Flickr (external link) :cool: Facebook (external link) :cool:Blog (external link):cool:

NickPerkins
35 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 14, 2013 08:25 |  #30

The past few weeks I've been really liking the way 500px is heading and really am starting to feel the need to start uploading my work there, but at the current moment my main site is Flickr just due to habit really.

sponsored links

17,827 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are you Flickr or 500px?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.