Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 May 2013 (Friday) 07:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

yep.. I was that guy

DanFrank
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 10, 2013 07:21 |  #1

So a few months back, after going out to take a few pics, me and my baby boy were ready to go home. With hands full with camera and car seat, I put the camera on top of car (above door, where son goes in) then secured my baby boy and drove off. Got home and realized OMG I left my camera on the car. Went back to location. Gone! Canon 7D w/ 24-105L. After a few weeks of not shooting and really really upset, I sold my 70-200 and 50 1.4. And just recently regretted it, I went cheap and got the a 40D with 28-135. After going from a 7D with Ls to this It kinda hurts. AF, ease of use. Quality!!!

With that said, the 40D isn't going to cut it for the next 5-7 years. With the new 6D out for a while now with solid reviews, Im faced with going with another 7D, the 6D, or just breaking down and getting a mark III. Whats your take on longevity of the current DSLRs?

As far as what I like to shoot. My favorite is nightscapes. But will shoot anything.

Gear "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"

sponsored links
JuvarAbrera
677 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 10, 2013 07:41 |  #2

Damn. That's sad. Sorry about your gear. At least you didn't forgot your son.

Juvar, 18 || Flickr (external link)

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2013 07:52 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

DanFrank wrote in post #15917580 (external link)
As far as what I like to shoot. My favorite is nightscapes. But will shoot anything.

D600...

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

DanFrank
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 10, 2013 07:58 |  #4

kin2son wrote in post #15917640 (external link)
D600...

Think the camera gods might strike me dead for going Nikon. Im a Canon guy through and through. Thanks though. :)

Gear "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 10, 2013 08:10 |  #5

DanFrank wrote in post #15917655 (external link)
Think the camera gods might strike me dead for going Nikon. Im a Canon guy through and through. Thanks though. :)

Why?

Nikon bodies are mopping the floor with Canon right now, especially when it comes to low light or high DR stuff.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

DanFrank
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 10, 2013 08:20 |  #6

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15917680 (external link)
Why?

Nikon bodies are mopping the floor with Canon right now, especially when it comes to low light or high DR stuff.

I see where this is going. Thanks for your input. Ill consider a Nikon.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 10, 2013 08:27 |  #7

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15917680 (external link)
Why?

I thought Canon was better in low light, but Nikon better at low ISO?

I personally can't live with the ergonomics on a Nikon. Nor the looks (fugly things they are). Having handled a 6D quite extensively, I actually prefer how it feels in the hand compared to my 5DIII. If you don't need the better AF and weather sealing of the 5DIII, the 6D is an amazing camera. However, I do love my 5DIII.

As for longevity, I don't see how I could need anything better, I will keep using my 5DIII until it dies and is unable to be fixed. The camera outperforms me in every way, and I will never outgrow it in terms of skill.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

carcrafter22
68 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 10, 2013 08:38 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #8

If u can afford it I would just bite the billet and go 5d III. You get better weather sealing, better af, great all around camera in my opinion. Then again I'm one of those guys that buys the best I can afford so I am not limited by anything but myself.

1D mark IV, Sigma 35 1.4 Art, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 10-22mm moded for 1D, 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 580EX II,

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 10, 2013 08:55 |  #9

I share your pain...
Really sad and once when my new fancy body broke, I was in exact same mood.
But then just think of what if the car behind you would recognize you when the camera bag would fall down and keep them in whatever risk and now you had to deal with a couple of hundred thousand dollar law suit on top of all else. So chear up. World is full of beautiful secense waiting for you to shoot them. 40D or for that matter any XXD is a nice camera too but a different animal.
I am even more sad that you let your gem lenses go cheap.
Well Past is Passed away! Forget that and move on with good things ahead of you.
If you have to go for a new body that I don't recommend it soon, between your choices, 6D is a lot of camera for the money. It is much much more new technology compare with 1D III. But then no matter what, don't hurry. There will be a lot of good choices from Canon showing up soon. So time is your best friend.

All I suggest for your "Nightscaping" at this time is either to get a Sigma 30mm F1.4 or if you are fine with manual, Rokinon 35mm F1.4.
Right now BuyDig.com (external link) has Rokinon aspherical 35mm F1.4 lens for $375 (That is normally about $450-500 when you apply coupon "PhotoPro125" at pormotion box in check out that is one wonderful lens specially for Nightscaping.
Look into right glass and keep on from there.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 10, 2013 09:15 |  #10

Buy one that will bounce when dropped. :)

I cringed when reading you put the camera on top of the car, pretty sure where the post was going.

While I'm not a Nikon shooter you are in a position to at least look at their line up, even if it's only for a moment and to at least be able to say to people, I looked and choose Canon.

The choice all come down to what you can spend so I'd echo what someone else wrote, get the best you can afford, 5d3, 6d, or 7d

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 10, 2013 09:32 |  #11

Since you like nightscaping, there is absolutely no shame in admitting how awesome D600 is in that role thanks,to the incredible DR. Canon bodies at this moment do not quite match there. However, you can compensate by doing multiple exposures and then it's quite even.

My point is, even if this a Canon dedicated forums it's much better to keep open mind in things. 6D/D600/5D III/D800, they are all awesome bodies. Good luck in your choosing the right gear -mission :)

P.S. I'm sorry for loosing your Canon 7D w/ 24-105Llike that. I know the feeling as I've managed to loose couple of brand new smartphones like that :D

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,418 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

May 10, 2013 10:29 |  #12

On the plus side at least you didn't get home with the camera and realise you had left the baby on the roof of the car.

I too lost my 7D. Loved it, was real sad, bought a 5DIII. If money is an issue get another 7D. If it is less of an issue look at the 6D. If it isn't an issue the 5DIII is a 7D++++++.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Fuce
257 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 10, 2013 10:55 |  #13

Had a similar thing happen to me, left my gear bag at a field following a tailgate after a game. Went back an hour later, everything gone. That was lower level Nikon stuff. The good news is - I replaced it with a 7d and love it.

“with the breakdown of the medieval system, the gods of chaos, lunacy, and bad taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius J. Reilly

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

May 10, 2013 11:43 |  #14

if it was Nikon gear it would have still been there when you went back.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 10, 2013 11:47 |  #15

mike_311 wrote in post #15918359 (external link)
if it was Nikon gear it would have still been there when you went back.

Thats why i put a nikon strap on my 7d so it wont get stolen.

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

6,228 views & 0 likes for this thread
yep.. I was that guy
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.