Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 09 May 2013 (Thursday) 20:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Risks of selling to a new member

sprint67
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 10, 2013 11:49 |  #16

As a newer member with a lower post count I completely understand if someone is not willing to sell to me. I have not run into that problem yet because I am willing to give them my name, number, and my workplace website so that they may call my office and verify I am who I am. I am also always up front with the seller that I am a new member so as not to look like I am trying to slide by on them not checking. I am never going to be one who trades out equipment monthly and I certainly don't have the knowledge to be posting on every thread so my post count will remain relatively low but hopefully my openness and honesty continue to allow me to take advantage of the great deals that are often offered.

sponsored links
caoko
260 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 10, 2013 12:14 |  #17

joonrhee wrote in post #15918281 (external link)
Yes, I agree someone as to start at some point. BUT, that won't be at MY risk.

Unless, I know his/her email, website, phone number, driver's license (yes I confirmed it in one of my selling scenarios) to confirm the physical address, etc, I kindly refuse to deal with new members.

problem with that is if they wanted to scam you, then all that info is easily faked.
the website might be more troublesome, but a lot of people here don't have websites.

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,844 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 10, 2013 12:20 |  #18

caoko wrote in post #15918450 (external link)
problem with that is if they wanted to scam you, then all that info is easily faked.
the website might be more troublesome, but a lot of people here don't have websites.

You're absolutely right. If I choose to deal with a new member even after verifying all necessary information and find out that I got scammed, what can I do? I guess that would be my loss for taking a risk.

EDIT: I would still like to believe there are more kind and genuine hearted people than evil minded ones.

a7RII • RX1RII • CV12 • B18 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

caoko
260 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 10, 2013 12:38 |  #19

joonrhee wrote in post #15918466 (external link)
You're absolutely right. If I choose to deal with a new member even after verifying all necessary information and find out that I got scammed, what can I do? I guess that would be my loss for taking a risk.

EDIT: I would still like to believe there are more kind and genuine hearted people than evil minded ones.

that's how I operate. you just have to have some blind trust.

if it's expensive you can file local police reports and post on forums, but that's generally just to help the next guy from being scammed.

over at head-fi one of the more infamous cases is with Singlepower. Was originally a legit guy that made/repaired high end amps. The he suddenly disappeared off the face of the planet with hundreds of thousands of $$$.

though one thing I tend to do with expensive items is ship via USPS fully insured and fully tracked. If you get scamed then you can file with the USPS.

tangers40
89 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 10, 2013 17:51 |  #20

joonrhee wrote in post #15918281 (external link)
Unless, I know his/her email, website, phone number, driver's license (yes I confirmed it in one of my selling scenarios) to confirm the physical address, etc, I kindly refuse to deal with new members.

And as a new member, I would be completely adamant about NOT giving out my driver's license info. That seems like a strange request. I understand where you're coming from, but I personally would not do it. I also don't have a real website, just a blog where I use my online nickname (tang).

I'm fortunate that there have been two sellers on here that have been willing to sell their gear to me, despite my low post count. If they had balked, I would understand.

60D | 24-105L | Tamron 70-300 VC | Tamron 90 Macro | Nifty Fifty | SX280 HS |

icacphotography
612 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 10, 2013 17:57 |  #21

dalto wrote in post #15917993 (external link)
Isn't paypal protection on useful in the case of a paypal dispute? I thought if they disputed the charge through their cc company then you were basically screwed.

This is totally true. Paypal has that risk associated with it. If the transaction is funded from a CC pretty much every card is in the buyers hand and if the seller starts dicking them around (even if the buyer is being a jerk and trying to commit fraud) they can simply phone their CC and claim the item was damaged but paypal refuses to refund them. They then ask for a chargeback which most CC companies give you X of per year no questions asked and then yea seller is essentially F'd over as paypal will say to them well we had the money scooped from us so we're scooping back the money from you. In a lot of these cases Paypal will close the buyers account though so it can be a doube edged sword. Though I'd bet someone who is going to pull a huge scam say for a 1DX or something of that nature doesn't give a rip if paypal blacklists them.

Body:50D gripped Magic Lantern'd
Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Flash: Canon 430 EX
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,844 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 10, 2013 18:52 |  #22

tangers40 wrote in post #15919536 (external link)
And as a new member, I would be completely adamant about NOT giving out my driver's license info. That seems like a strange request. I understand where you're coming from, but I personally would not do it. I also don't have a real website, just a blog where I use my online nickname (tang).

I'm fortunate that there have been two sellers on here that have been willing to sell their gear to me, despite my low post count. If they had balked, I would understand.

Again, I trust that there are way more good vs. evil people. There was only one recent incident where I was shown a driver's license to verify the delivery address. Oldschool1948 made a paypal payment but did not have a confirmed shipping address registered with paypal. He was not a new member but I was only able to find one recent buying reference here, none on FM. I asked him to sort out with Paypal but seemed rather cumbersome, so he instead offered to show me his driver's license for verification. After shipping out, I also received a message (yes, I sent a PM to his previous seller to verify about the buyer) from his previous seller that Oldschool1948 was indeed a true gentleman which made me feel even better. Johnnie was actually born in 1948 too!! :D

This was my sale thread - https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1295130

Bottomline is, had the confirmed address been registered properly with paypal, no further verification would have been necessary since it's been more than a year he joined POTN. Also, I could have assumed that his previous purchase went fine. It was just a red light for me and I had to do what I can to make sure I don't get scammed (yes, I know it was not a high ticket item... but still. :lol:)

BTW, I hope you are keeping track of what you are buying and selling here. Always manage your feedbacks as they will reward you later. Johnnie (Oldschool1948) never knew about the feedback system here and on FM, so I explained to him what they were and how useful they can be. He now has this feedback from me - https://photography-on-the.net …=15903173&postc​ount=39728 and he joined FM that day. :D

a7RII • RX1RII • CV12 • B18 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

tangers40
89 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 10, 2013 20:27 |  #23

joonrhee wrote in post #15919711 (external link)
BTW, I hope you are keeping track of what you are buying and selling here. Always manage your feedbacks as they will reward you later. Johnnie (Oldschool1948) never knew about the feedback system here and on FM, so I explained to him what they were and how useful they can be. He now has this feedback from me - https://photography-on-the.net …=15903173&postc​ount=39728 and he joined FM that day. :D

As I spent several months reading the forums here before ever posting or attempting to purchase anything, I am aware of the feedback system. Unfortunately, I left positive feedback for both sellers, but never received any in return. *shrug* I get that on ebay as well and it drives me crazy. But not much you can do in those cases.

60D | 24-105L | Tamron 70-300 VC | Tamron 90 Macro | Nifty Fifty | SX280 HS |

Kikkoman
82 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 11, 2013 02:34 |  #24

I really wish the marketplace was like Head-fi.com, even if you don't post a lot, you can still get rep points for successful transactions. At least that's how it is for me. Something about that rep number going up feels good haha.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 11, 2013 16:56 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

Outside of Ebay, PayPal protection does not work that well. Money can be withdrawn pretty quickly. There is no hold freeze or hold on your funds. On Ebay, new members (sellers) or members with low transactions, funds are frozen until a postive feedback is left by the buyer. Just don't make large purchases, into the $1k+, with new members. Phone numbers? I don't know. I sold my 500L f4 IS for about $6k over at the FM message board. I have over 14 positive feedbacks. The entire transaction was done via PM only. I even express mailed to the buyer, something like $150 shipping cost. With priority mail and insurance, it ended up costing more than express mail. I am an email kind of person. Not a surprise since I spend to much times on the message boards. My "phone manner" isn't exactly good, assuming I can a get a clear phone connection in my apartment.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

m3incorp
989 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 12, 2013 23:29 |  #26

I don't think that "possibly" saving some dollars from buying from "anyone" is worthy of me giving out my drivers license number. There are too many ID thefts and who is to say that someone with thousands of posts are not stealing IDs. With that having been said, I've bought and sold here and other sites and haven't had a problem yet. If I didn't want to sell to someone with a low post count, I just wouldn't do it, but I'm not going to ask anyone for their drivers license number. Any online transaction can be risky....to include Craiglist, Ebay and other places.

7D, 10D, Canon EFS 18-55mm modded
Canon EF 50mm, Canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII VC
Canon EF 70-300mm, 70-200 F4 L
, Canon 430ex ii Speedlite.

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

May 13, 2013 15:45 |  #27

Judsonzhao wrote in post #15918036 (external link)
always video taping the process you pack your items, and video that you drop it at a local post office

I always do this and once someone filed a claim, I showed all my evidence to Paypal and they decided it in my favor without losing even 1 cent.
However, the process took time and could be annoying.

As a seller, you have more chance to win Paypal cases if you have enough evidence and the transaction happens off ebay, otherwise, it's not your lucky day.

I could easily videotape packing up whatever in a box, stop the recording, replace whatever it was with a brick, then videotape dropping that package off with USPS. Buyer could just as easily create a falsified video opening the package and finding nothing (or a brick) inside.

So I'm surprised that PayPal was willing to take video as evidence.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

regatta
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 13, 2013 21:15 |  #28

New members are what keep this site going.

Sam
7D and saving for 600mm

ShootToCapture
403 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 13, 2013 21:33 |  #29

There were few sellers here hesistate to sell canon lens to me because I don't have any feedback On POTN.

schris
163 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 14, 2013 12:36 |  #30

I joined this site originally just to get access to the marketplace as a buyer - I'm glad I managed to connect with people willing to sell to me, I probably wouldn't have stuck around if not! But I have had all very good experiences buying and selling a couple things here and on FM. Then again I haven't tried to buy or sell from someone with a lower post count than me either.

70D | Rokinon 8mm | 15-85mm | Sigma 30mm | 85mm 1.8 | 55-250mm | 430EX

sponsored links

2,670 views & 0 likes for this thread
Risks of selling to a new member
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.