Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 May 2013 (Thursday) 18:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

30D - 40D

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,445 posts
Gallery: 1758 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 09, 2013 18:59 |  #1

Ive posted here many times(almost a regular now), but I want to ask If many would consider the 40D a worthwile upgrade over my 30D?, I am not looking for a vast Improvement In alot of areas, or wanting to spend a great deal, I have seen 40D's on the web for around £200 so to me I guess that looks like an extra £100 over my 30D, all I am looking to Improve realy Is - slightly more acurate focusing(40D cross type) and a slight Improvement I believe?, abit more IQ from the sensor(I understand the 40D has 14bit) and abit more croppablity, but keepng the 30D's great reliabilty and build.

P.

Some stuff.

sponsored links
Tiberius
Goldmember
2,544 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 09, 2013 20:19 |  #2

The 40D is a great camera, but it's fairly old now. I have one and I love it (I use it as a second body), but for a primary body I think you'd probably be better off going with a 50 or 60.

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,445 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 09, 2013 20:34 |  #3

Tiberius wrote in post #15916331 (external link)
The 40D is a great camera, but it's fairly old now. I have one and I love it (I use it as a second body), but for a primary body I think you'd probably be better off going with a 50 or 60.

I must be honest, I preffer the 60D to any other dslr of any make, Its size and shape, and the technology I love the Idea of a portable smaller but proffesional spec camera, I totally dont like large brick type cameras and could never go back to full frame, to me that would be like going back to brick size cell phones.
Its just the price I an hoping by the time I have abit of spare cash - around yule the 60D will be around second hand for about £250-£300 then with me getting perhaps £100 for my 30D I should be able to get on.

P.

Some stuff.

longbow97
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 09, 2013 22:17 as a reply to  @ Pagman's post |  #4

These photos were taken using my trusted 40D. "Trusted" here means that I have used it as primary camera for more than 4 years now in remote and rugged places/islands in the Philippines.

Photo of a skitish 4" (bill to tail) Red-keeled Flowerpecker taken about 3 years ago
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/philippines/image/126160603/original.jpg

Photo of a surfer taken 2 years ago (2011)
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/philippines/image/140795796/original.jpg

Photo of an bouncy 5" Rufous-fronted Tailorbird taken 2 months ago (March 2013)
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/philippines/image/149533065/original.jpg

Having said that, I do agree that it is fairly old camera and I'm sure many of the current entry-level DSLRs have more features for their price. Since you are coming from a 30D, I think any of the current Canon xxxD should give you more mileage than 40D. It all depends on your needs though.

In my case, I would consider a 50D because of the micro focus adjustment (MFA), a feature Canon removed from their current xxD and xxxD series cameras.

Thanks.

Philippine Bird Photography Forum
Photo Gallery: www.pbase.com/philippi​nes (external link)

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 10, 2013 00:48 |  #5

I remember upgrading from the 30d to the 40d and it was a significant upgrade.

I agree with others that the 50d or 60d would be better but on the other hand, the 40d isn't going to depreciate a whole lot in the next few months so if you could find a good deal on one, why not?

cmosman
454 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2005

May 10, 2013 01:14 as a reply to  @ dalto's post |  #6

I still have my 30D and whilst I would agree a 40, 50 or 60D is an improvement, stick an L lens on the front of the 30D and it is still a very capable camera. I have learnt it really is all about the quality of lens you have.

Cameras & Lens all due to my kind wife :D

Lloydd
376 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 10, 2013 04:42 |  #7

If you cant make up your mind on glass or body then try renting a 60D and a 100-400mm (if you're still chasing reach) and see what you think of each. It'll give you an idea what your 55-250mm will be like on a newer body, and you can see how the 30D holds up with some better glass in front of it.

You should be able to buy a 100-400mm (or whatever long lens you want, second hand) without it devaluing too much, where you may find that if you get a body now it will lose value before you can get some good glass.

Either that or just save a bit longer. The 40D isn't that much of a step up.

Get some glass, you may be happy with the results. If not, save up and get a better body later on. They're only going to get cheaper.

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 10, 2013 04:57 |  #8

Pagman wrote in post #15916364 (external link)
I must be honest, I preffer the 60D to any other dslr of any make, Its size and shape, and the technology I love the Idea of a portable smaller but proffesional spec camera, I totally dont like large brick type cameras and could never go back to full frame, to me that would be like going back to brick size cell phones.
Its just the price I an hoping by the time I have abit of spare cash - around yule the 60D will be around second hand for about £250-£300 then with me getting perhaps £100 for my 30D I should be able to get on.

Save for a used 60D but do not sell the 30D. It's worth much more to you as a spare body than £100 and is still a great camera. I packed in a hurry for a flight to Jersey (CI, not NJ!) a couple of years ago and on arrival found I had the 30D rather than the 50D I'd planned to take. It made no difference to my pictures at all and the only slight inconvenience was the smaller LCD. I still have it and plan an IR conversion when funds allow.

Off topic, but nice use of the word "Yule" by the way. I love it and it's much underused in the UK.

Symon777
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 10, 2013 05:19 |  #9

I have two 40D bodies that have served me and my wife faithfully. We have both upgraded to 60D's now so are selling the 40D's if you are interested - bit of a long way to post them though - we are in Australia.

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 11, 2013 20:12 |  #10

40D is a fabulous camera! I think it's a good upgrade from the 30d. The 40d won't let you down. Plus I think it's a little faster than the 60d, and uses compact flashes like your 30d.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,445 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 11, 2013 20:39 as a reply to  @ 4g63photo's post |  #11

Thank you to All who replied, I love 99.9 percent of what my 30D delivers, and as I view pp as art and I love art, tweaking adjustments In DPP and Fastone are a delight, But where I am falling short Is focus reliablity and reach/cropping, but my problem Is that I want the best of both worlds with my lens, I want Just one lens that covers landscapes 55mm minimum, and prefferably 300-350mm for my longer shots, but I dont want seperate lenses as I dont want the hassle of changing, I just want an all purpose carry round lens that goes from 55-more than my nifty 250, (I dont want much do I:cry::cry::cry:.
This Is what led me to ask the question, would I be better off sticking with my nifty 250 but on a 40/50/60D and cropping more - Is this lens good enough does It resolve enough detail to do this? or stay with my 30D and save and save for the closest to my requirements, a 70-300L as surely because of Its qualities I could still get perhaps more decent crops from It than my nifty 250?

Yes I know lots of questions....:cry:

P.

Some stuff.

Symon777
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 11, 2013 21:02 |  #12

4g63photo wrote in post #15922591 (external link)
40D is a fabulous camera! I think it's a good upgrade from the 30d. The 40d won't let you down. Plus I think it's a little faster than the 60d, and uses compact flashes like your 30d.

The 40D is certainly not faster than a 60D, even though it uses CF instead of SD.

About the only advantage the 40D has is the alloy body, whereas the 60D is all plastic.

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,530 posts
Gallery: 395 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 11, 2013 22:22 |  #13

Symon777 wrote in post #15922712 (external link)
The 40D is certainly not faster than a 60D, even though it uses CF instead of SD.

About the only advantage the 40D has is the alloy body, whereas the 60D is all plastic.

OP may have been speaking of FPS, where the 40D does 6.5 to the 60D's 5.3.

The 60D has a mag-alloy frame and poly-carb shell, making it tougher in many ways and less brittle than mag-alloy shells.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 12, 2013 01:46 |  #14

mickeyb105 wrote in post #15922911 (external link)
OP may have been speaking of FPS, where the 40D does 6.5 to the 60D's 5.3.

The 60D has a mag-alloy frame and poly-carb shell, making it tougher in many ways and less brittle than mag-alloy shells.

Thanks. I was referring to fps. The 40 is faster. :D

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

fusionphoto
254 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2006

May 13, 2013 03:43 |  #15

My main cameras are 1D series but I keep a 40D in the bag as a backup as it can give excellent images. Look at what you need and what it will give in comparison to the 30D. I use it quite a bit for people pictures as I like the skin tones it produces. :) :) :)

Use Canon 10D, 40D, 1D Mk1, 2 & Mk4 plus a 1Ds and 5D Mk2. Canon lenses (fav 24-105 f4L). Nikon D2HS and Fuji X Pro 1 & 2. Love um all :lol:
Please visit my PORTFOLIO : www.iankyddmiller.com/​mysite (external link)

sponsored links

2,287 views & 0 likes for this thread
30D - 40D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.