Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 May 2013 (Wednesday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help choosing best camera for $500

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 08, 2013 23:23 as a reply to  @ post 15912706 |  #16

LIke already said... the point of focus is not where you need it. When you shoot portraits it needs to be nailed to the eyes. Our brain will generally dismiss other things being soft as long as the eyes are sharp. More depth of field would be nice, as would better lighting to help with contrast (contrast also contributes to apparent sharpness), but those things will not make up for missed focus. And on the first one the shutter speed is a little on the slow side.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

sponsored links
MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 09, 2013 01:15 |  #17

For checking front/back focus, read this page, print the target and test the lens.

http://www.peleng8.com​/how-to-detect-back-focus.html (external link)

My 2 cents. The first photo (assuming it's about 3 feet distance from lens to focus point on the subject) you have 3.3 inches DOF. If you didn't focus/recompose, the camera likely focused slightly to the right of the microphone on the boy's chest. This is probably consistent with the few hairs that show sharp behind the right ear. Camera shake could be contributing since this is not an IS lens. In theory you should shoot as a minimum SS=1/(FLx1.6) for a crop, which come to 1/54.

I found that learning to shoot with the back button (BBF) helped me take steadier shots at AI Servo.

The second photo, assuming a distance of 4 feet, has a DOF of 1.5 inches... f1.8 can be soft on the nifty (mine is not that soft...) Keep in mind that if you focus with half pressing in One Shot and then fully pressing once you locked the shot, if you move half an inch in between, everything is going to be OOF. Regardles of the subjects being still and your shutter shooting at 1/1000.

Take the recommendation and test

a) Do the lenses front/back focus (done at the proper distances, with tripod and good light).

b) Once you confirm that you do not have a problem, try the same photo with tripod at different apertures, to see the effect of DOF

c) Then try 'freehand' to see whether you can improve your technique.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,063 posts
Gallery: 552 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 09, 2013 08:09 |  #18

ISO 1600 in the second shot with the 50 at f1.8 is not going to help your sharpness either, modern DSLR's a way better than film ever was, but they are not yet perfect.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 09, 2013 08:34 |  #19

BigAl007 wrote in post #15913993 (external link)
ISO 1600 in the second shot with the 50 at f1.8 is not going to help your sharpness either, modern DSLR's a way better than film ever was, but they are not yet perfect.

Alan

Alan, if you are implying that the softness of the photo is due to the ISO1600, here is a ISO6400 with essentially the same sensor. I have literally hundreds of photos at ISO 3200/6400 even some ISO12800 which show more detail... You can click the photo to see a whole day's worth of photos at high ISO.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i37.photobucket​.com …estival/IMG_299​7a1024.jpg (external link)

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 09, 2013 09:04 |  #20

MakisM1 wrote in post #15913398 (external link)
For checking front/back focus, read this page, print the target and test the lens.

Why? The t2i doesn't have MA. I guess you could send it in and see if Canon can match them, but I'm not sure it that's even possible with no MA.

In the second shot, why are you shooting at 1/1000 and ISO 1600? I would have lowered the ISO a lot and went with a slower shutter speed like 1/250.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 09, 2013 09:39 |  #21

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #15914160 (external link)
Why? The t2i doesn't have MA. I guess you could send it in and see if Canon can match them, but I'm not sure it that's even possible with no MA.

You guess right no MA. Canon can adjust both body and lens to spec or even match them if the combo is out of tolerance. I have even seen a post/thread on how to adjust a body yourself...

Even if you don't plan to do anything, it is good to know whether your lens/camera is the problem or your technique...

Gerry

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 09, 2013 11:59 as a reply to  @ MakisM1's post |  #22

daruuk, second photo: too large an aperture and too high on iso
it seems you need a better understanding of depth of field

http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)

edit: i took a second look at the first photo. you definitely have
motion blur on his foot, that is possibly the problem on his face too.

my 4.5 year olds use my tripod as a mic too!

makis, wood grain isn't the same as skin tones and facial details

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 09, 2013 12:16 |  #23

hes gone wrote in post #15914768 (external link)
=he's gone;15914768]

makis, wood grain isn't the same as skin tones and facial details

Shot at ISO6400 nevertheless... :lol: That photo was the first one that came handy...

Here is a ISO3200 with skin... SOOC

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i37.photobucket​.com …0Monica/IMG_424​0g1024.jpg (external link)

Gerry

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 09, 2013 16:52 |  #24

I think the main point in this is that the camera did what it was told to do. Better instructions would yield better photographs, in both instances. The OP needs trial & error, and practice & patience a whole lot more than he needs a new camera. That is not a dig. It is a fact related to any skill or talent; you will get better with practice. Basketball, flute, photography: all proof that hardware does not imply skill. OP, put your $500 towards a photography class at the local community college. That will get you a lot more of an upgrade than any new equipment.

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 10, 2013 16:23 |  #25

Did we scare him off?

Daruuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2013

May 12, 2013 01:50 |  #26

Tommy1957 wrote in post #15919268 (external link)
Did we scare him off?

Ha, sorry! There's some very good advice here... I'll be testing the focus as suggested as well as adopting some of the great technique advice. Thanks everyone!

cab ­ ny
101 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 12, 2013 20:26 |  #27

always good info.here if you are willing to read

sponsored links

2,917 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help choosing best camera for $500
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.