Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 07 May 2013 (Tuesday) 07:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop - Subscription Only from now on

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 10, 2013 08:49 |  #61

Kevan wrote in post #15914026 (external link)
Ah...hell! I just dropped major coin at B&H, buying the CS6 & LR4 box sets. Who knows if it was the right move? Least I'm done with it for a few years. I hope.

OUCH!

I know it helps to live in the same state as B&H, but to receive delivery of the software already...

Day-yam!

kevan's lens (external link)

sponsored links
jwkramer
THREAD ­ STARTER
959 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2003

May 10, 2013 08:54 |  #62

Steve Beck wrote in post #15914179 (external link)
Until you buy a new camera and need raw support and cs6 is not inch updated anymore.. I'm moving my entire workflow to aperture, on-one plugin suite since it is standalone, topaz stuff. Don't need above for anything. They can stick their software rental where the sun doesn't shine.

Doesn't Adobe keep Camera Raw updated for older versions of Photoshop? I thought they did.

-Jim
Please Visit My Website! (external link)
I'm no Einstein, but I do own 3 of them...

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,202 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 10, 2013 09:29 |  #63

jwkramer wrote in post #15917794 (external link)
Doesn't Adobe keep Camera Raw updated for older versions of Photoshop? I thought they did.

No, they update about one generation then they leave you hanging. You can do a workaround by opening the raw file in DPP or lightroom and then transfer to photoshop. I have to do that to open 5D2 raw files with CS3.

Landcruiser
168 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 10, 2013 10:07 |  #64

pwm2 wrote in post #15915630 (external link)
No. Enough with a connect every month if you pay monthly.

If you pay once/year, you could get away with being offline for several months - actual figure varies depending on who makes the claim. But 99 days and 180 days have been mentioned.

You can't count on that. I am on the CC. I can go in today and update my account for access, and it will ask me for the same info tomorrow. They have some issues to work out that is for sure. This trial for me is not giving me a warm fuzzy. I have LR4, so it's not like I need the CC account, but I use it for editing videos and such. It's a pain going into each program to update the software for each app, but it is what it is I guess. It's more of a "Creative Killer", not "Cloud".

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 10, 2013 13:13 |  #65

splathecat wrote in post #15916166 (external link)
And that is what subscription will kill. Soon people will learn GIMP instead, and there will be an unwillingness for businesses to licence since the employees already use an alternative.

How will this kill piracy? It won't. It will vastly increase piracy.

No more waiting for a special and buying it. Or buying an inexpensive copy and upgrading it every other version. Or buying a used copy.

One other thing is: No more student discounts (except for the entire suite, right?). Now, this is not the case now, but imagine if lightroom 6 is sub only for $10 a month. My gf (a student), just grabbed lightroom 4 for $80 I believe it was, student/teacher version. As she's taking a little photography class as a filler for her chem degree. Do you think she woulda bothered buying it if it was a monthly fee? No way, she woulda just stuck with DPP or Pirated (aarrrrrr mateys!) the damn thing. People don't want another monthly fee.

I'm not going to debate if that's morally right or wrong or whatever, it's just reality. You can argue about it all you want, and might not like it, but that's what's going to happen.

There are some smart ways they could have went about making subs bring in a ton of extra cash and be optional, while vastly cutting piracy. They coulda used it to really connect with the community instead of alienating it, as well.

Imagine something like:
1. Price of photoshop drops to $249. You get access to all the features. This right here would cut piracy by a ton, I guarantee it. There are a subset of people who will just flat out pirate anything, and no price drop will get those people to buy it, but we aren't after those people. The base version gets you all the features and access to web form only support. Photoshop will now have yearly upgrades and you can't skip versions any longer for upgrades (not a big deal if the price goes down, right).
2. Optional subscription of $10 or $30 a month. Call them Silver and Gold (or whatever).
3. $10 a month sub gives you a 30% discount on the yearly product upgrades and access to e-mail support.
4. $30 a month sub gives you US based phone support and a 50% discount on upgrades...adjust the discounts as needed.
5. Being a subscriber gives you GPU accelerated camera raw and photoshop. Tempting, eh? That's something that would make the sub worth it.

Then, add perks on top of it:
1. The longer you keep subscribed for, the more cool things you get.
2. Sub for a year? Get access to some awesome training materials/online tutorials/some neat cloud services.
3. Sub for two years? Get exclusive pre-beta/alpha access before anyone else gets to touch it. Get to be involved in giving feedback and shaping features and design early.
4. Sub for 3 years? Get a free upgrade every 3 years you keep subscribed.

Just some ideas. There's ways to do subs that would get people excited and involved. Hell, GPU acceleration for subs only would get people to sign up I guarantee it. In a few years, add it to the base version and come up with some new killer thing that'd make it worth it. *shrug*. Something that rewards you for loyalty if you keep paying. Anyway. ~

amanathia.zenfolio.com

vsg28
493 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 12, 2013 10:17 |  #66

As a student myself, I am dismayed the only option at a discount I will have is on the whole suite which I totally do not need. This is what makes me just keep Lightroom and get rid of my old CS4 eventually.

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon SX30 IS (modified for IR), Rokinon 14mm, Canon 24-105 L IS, Sigma 50mm, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L IS II, Canon 100mm L IS, Kenko 1.4x Pro DG, Canon 2x II extender, Yongnuo YN-565EX, Induro CT414 with Induro BHL-3 and GHB-A

Vinno
88 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 12, 2013 10:55 as a reply to  @ post 15916197 |  #67

Heck, i dont think i want to spew up the outright price of photoshop but $50 a month to access all adobe apps is a good deal. I dont see why people hate this model? $600 for ps outright or $600 a year for all apps up to date. Im no professional, just a learner/hobby. I guess if you can stay with the current version then your better off outright, adobe why not leave both options available to your customers?

[Canon 5D MKIII] [Sigma 35mm f1.4] [Canon 50mm f1.8] [Canon 85mm f1.2L II] [Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II] [Canon Speedlite 580EX II]

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 12, 2013 12:33 |  #68

Vinno wrote in post #15924284 (external link)
Heck, i dont think i want to spew up the outright price of photoshop but $50 a month to access all adobe apps is a good deal. I dont see why people hate this model? $600 for ps outright or $600 a year for all apps up to date. Im no professional, just a learner/hobby. I guess if you can stay with the current version then your better off outright, adobe why not leave both options available to your customers?

So how do you open your files after having stopped paying?

So how many updates do you think you'll get from Adobe when they don't need to impress their customers into updating?

No reason for people to hate getting twice as high average software cost compared to when they, themselves, decides when it is time to update to a newer version?

Look around you at home - don't you see lots of things that you would not accept to be forced to lease instead of buy?

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sjones
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 12, 2013 15:13 |  #69

Vinno wrote in post #15924284 (external link)

For some folks, Adobe new subscription service fits the bill. Yet, a lot of the people with grievances are those who already laid out US$600 for Photoshop as well as a few hundred more for updates. Now Adobe says if you want another updated version of Photoshop, you'll have to pay, at a minimum, US$20 (after the discounted year) a month for the rest of your life.

Yes, I have the option of just keeping PS CS6, and to a large extent, that's fine. And the reason why it's fine is that I don't need constant updates, which brings up the point that I don't want to have to constantly pay for such unneeded updates, lest I lose the whole product no matter how much money I already invested in it.

But even if I'm completely happy with CS6 for the very, very long run, architectural changes in both software and hardware won't be so amenable.

The new model, for me and apparently many others, will cost more and, by denial of a perpetual license, offer significantly less.

What amazes me is how people can't understand why this just might be a bit disconcerting for some users, especially giving the immense dearth of available alternatives. But true, if Adobe offered both options, I wouldn't hate the new model, as I wouldn't have to even think about it.

Fortunately, I really don't have to worry about the ramifications for another three to five years, depending on software/hardware demands, and hopefully by then, the likes of Aperture and similar software will be able to close the gap a bit.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Manual Focus; only for street photography amateurs...
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,649 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

May 12, 2013 16:08 |  #70

sjones wrote in post #15924870 (external link)
What amazes me is how people can't understand why this just might be a bit disconcerting for some users, especially giving the immense dearth of available alternatives. But true, if Adobe offered both options, I wouldn't hate the new model, as I wouldn't have to even think about it.

People are closed minded or selfish, only seeing things their way. I can see why this is good for some people, see why others don't mind it. I honestly don't understand how so many people are unable to see the shades of grey in a situation and to view it from multiple viewpoints. They're not sympathetic to or willing to understand that their view isn't the only one.

It's one thing to disagree, it's another to just tell other people they're wrong on something that doesn't even necessarily have a right or wrong.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 12, 2013 16:42 |  #71

Colorblinded wrote in post #15924996 (external link)
People are closed minded or selfish, only seeing things their way. I can see why this is good for some people, see why others don't mind it. I honestly don't understand how so many people are unable to see the shades of grey in a situation and to view it from multiple viewpoints. They're not sympathetic to or willing to understand that their view isn't the only one.

It's one thing to disagree, it's another to just tell other people they're wrong on something that doesn't even necessarily have a right or wrong.

The interesting thing is that perpetual licenses and subscriptions did exist side by side. So the move to remove the perpetual licenses doesn't represent an improvement for the people who prefer subscriptions. But still, lots of people who prefer subscriptions, can't accept that people who prefer a perpetual license have a right to see that as a better solution.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,202 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 13, 2013 09:23 |  #72

Colorblinded wrote in post #15924996 (external link)

Adobe can be said to have the same mindset. They argue how great this will be for all users, instant updates etc. But never admit that it is a problem for users who dont have a need to keep constantly upgraded.

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

May 13, 2013 09:30 |  #73

Maybe photoshop wil go the way of Flash... remember Flash? :)

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 13, 2013 10:11 |  #74

Neilyb wrote in post #15927067 (external link)
Maybe photoshop wil go the way of Flash... remember Flash? :)

Errr... wasn't it a company named Adob-something that were involved in Flash? :p

And Microsoft is busy pushing an alternative to pdf for documents.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 14, 2013 15:37 |  #75

$30 a month. Is that a huge outlay? We probably waste that much in a week on lattes and gum and other crap. This is a product that will be updated and is a part of many people's workflow. I know that change scares most people but I don't see it as bad for me personally.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

sponsored links

23,182 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop - Subscription Only from now on
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.