Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 May 2013 (Monday) 05:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lenses/Body rental for a wedding.

dannybres
263 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 13, 2013 05:44 |  #1

Some friends do not want to pay for a photographer and asked me. I considered and accepted but I explicitly told them I will have a good go, but no guarentees at all and that they may get nothing at all that is decent, they are happy to take the risk. The Ushers will be incharge of managing the guests for photos too! :)

They have seen what I have done with my limited gear at other friends weddings and meals we go out on and have been impressed so I am certain I will get atleast a collection of decent shots.

I have a 7D and a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8.

I need more kit for the wedding they are covering my rental bill.

What should I get?

My first idea was:

EOS 5D3

16-35 2.8L or 24-70 2.8L
50 1.2L
70-200 2.8L IS

2 off 600EX

Thoughts? Advice? Which mid-zoom should I get?

EOS 7D, EOS M, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, 430EX II.

sponsored links
Mushy ­ peas
48 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 13, 2013 05:50 |  #2

If you're not used to using some of that equipment, like the 50L or the 5D3, a wedding really isn't te place to learn. Depending on where the reception is and the amount of room you have the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS and 85mm f1.8 might be a good place to start with a 430EX as a flash. Pick up a second 7D too.

dannybres
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 13, 2013 05:53 |  #3

Ok, thanks.
2 off 7Ds might be better, I will have the kit in the run up to the wedding to practice and familiarise.

If I get a 50L for my 7D which I am very comfortable with now, will it be a steep learning curve?

I really like the thought of a full frame camera and would love to play with one..... Can it be that different? The buttons are all in the same place as the 7D too!

Not blindly ignoring advice, just questoning it! :)

Mushy ­ peas
48 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 13, 2013 06:01 |  #4

The 50L is one of Canon's most difficult lenses, very love/hate. If you haven't shot with very fast primes like 1.2s they do have a steep learning curve and some practise in getting the best out of them. 1.2 does not give you much to work with. If you're going to stop it down you may as well save your cash and get the 1.4. I love mine, and stared using it with a 500D, which didn't even have micro adjust. But my 50L has been dead on on all my bodies. You should probably check a rental in case it's off.

Full frames are different, I know a mate moving from a 7D to a 5D3 took a little while to get used to the different framing, depends on how long you have. If you've got a couple of weeks, you'll be fine, but it wouldn't be something I'd want to be learning in the days before a big event.

I've also had it suggested to me to avoid mixing FF/crop, though I've not tried it, and you will want 2 bodies, which is why I suggested the 7D.

dannybres
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 13, 2013 06:40 |  #5

Mushy peas wrote in post #15926609 (external link)
Full frames are different, I know a mate moving from a 7D to a 5D3 took a little while to get used to the different framing, depends on how long you have. If you've got a couple of weeks, you'll be fine, but it wouldn't be something I'd want to be learning in the days before a big event.

Ok, how is framing different? I am used to a APS-C + 17-50 which would be the same as a FF + 24-70? Just with better ISO performance a DOF etc.

dannybres
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 13, 2013 06:53 |  #6

Price of rental between 7D + 50 1.4 and 5D3 + 50 1.2L is very small only around £20.

Current list:

EOS 5D3 (If it is too difficult to use, which I doubt, I have my 7D. If my 7D breaks I can use this)

24-70 2.8L (equivalent to 17-50 when on 5D3, which I am used to but shallower DOF, L lens, more reliable and better faster quieter AF, FTM etc)
50 1.2L (Can stop down to 1.4)
70-200 2.8L IS (Do I need this? I think I will for candid shots and in the ceremony.)

2 off 600EX (Only £20 a day, 430 would be no cheaper)

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 13, 2013 09:30 |  #7

I think you should steer clear of the fast 1.2s if you have no experience with them, especially if the first time is at a wedding and your the main photographer. As someone has said, it has a very steep learning curve. I would go with 5D3 + 24-70 + 600 ex on one body and if your using your 7D then 7D + 70-200 F2.8 IS + 600 ex. If you could get two 5D3, that would make life easier.

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 13, 2013 09:51 |  #8

70-200 f/2.8 IS II is my go to lens. I would also get the 16-35mm and if you think you have time, the 50 f/1.2 will make nice shots, but you will be moving fast and taking lots of pix, so I would have tow bodies, one with 16-35 and the other w/ 70-200. The 7D with a second 7D would be the best since you are familiar with the body.

If your going to get two 600s you may want to rent the 2 ST-E3-RTs. One for each body and use two OCF especially for the reception. Or 3 600s, one on each body and the third for OCF controlled by each of the two hot shoe mounted flash units. You may need at least 2 OCF, umbrellas and stands if you are going to do formals of the wedding party.

Also, do you plan on taking picture during the ceremony in a church? If so, have you talked to the preacher to see if you can use flash. Most don't like flash during the ceremony. Where will you be allowed to stand, etc. How is the lighting if no flash allowed?

Have you considered taking out liability insurance in case something happens to cause injury to a guest?

Even though your friends say they are willing to take a chance that the pictures do not turn out, will they put that in writing even though they are not paying you?

dannybres
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 13, 2013 10:27 as a reply to  @ zerovision's post |  #9

I have not considered Liability insurance, I am a wedding guest with a camera or two. How can i hurt someone I am not arranging the guests or getting them to pose/stand anywhere dangerous, no lighing stands to fall or anything...... should I consider it?

Why would I want it in writing, they have no guarentee from me I have no guarentee from them. If everything fails and I forget to put memory card in the bodies, nothing will happen, except a bruised friendship.

I doubt I will be using OCF, but i may grab a ST-E3-RTs and pop both 600EX's on a two tripods for the speechs, but I very much doubt it. Just bouce it off the ceiling from a hot shoe mounted flash.

It is not in a church, it is in Westmister Palace. I think the room has large windows, so the light should be ok.

Folloing your recomendation, xerovision, and I have a 2 7D , with 70-200 and 16-35 that would be a large effective focal range gap from 35-70mm?

Would I not be better with a 24-70 on the 5D3 as my socond body? as cdang suggests?

Roshan
319 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 13, 2013 10:42 |  #10

dannybres wrote in post #15926600 (external link)
Ok, thanks.
2 off 7Ds might be better, I will have the kit in the run up to the wedding to practice and familiarise.

If I get a 50L for my 7D which I am very comfortable with now, will it be a steep learning curve?

I really like the thought of a full frame camera and would love to play with one..... Can it be that different? The buttons are all in the same place as the 7D too!

Not blindly ignoring advice, just questoning it! :)

The 5d mark 3 is the route you should go. If you're thinking about using the 50mm on the 7D as your main lens, forget it. It's too long on a crop.

I would definately rent a 5d3 and use the 7d as your backup camera.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,132 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 13, 2013 11:02 |  #11

Roshan wrote in post #15927311 (external link)
=Roshan;15927311]The 5d mark 3 is the route you should go. If you're thinking about using the 50mm on the 7D as your main lens, forget it. It's too long on a crop.

I would definately rent a 5d3 and use the 7d as your backup camera.

definitely. and get the 24-70L II and a fast prime and flash.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

dannybres
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 13, 2013 11:05 as a reply to  @ Roshan's post |  #12

Thanks.

Ed rader, everyone is advising against a very fast prime, what are you thinking? 85mm f/1.2? If its too hard to use I can stop it down to f/1.8 and it will be handlable! :)

Looks like 5D3, 24-70mm, 70-200mm & 580EX/600EX is the way to go.

Its only £30 a weekend for an 85mm f/1.2, I might just grab one too to play with too! :)
After speeches and the rest of the weekend I can have a play with it.

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 13, 2013 11:15 |  #13

dannybres wrote in post #15927262 (external link)
I have not considered Liability insurance, I am a wedding guest with a camera or two. How can i hurt someone I am not arranging the guests or getting them to pose/stand anywhere dangerous, no lighing stands to fall or anything...... should I consider it?

Why would I want it in writing, they have no guarentee from me I have no guarentee from them. If everything fails and I forget to put memory card in the bodies, nothing will happen, except a bruised friendship.

I doubt I will be using OCF, but i may grab a ST-E3-RTs and pop both 600EX's on a two tripods for the speechs, but I very much doubt it. Just bouce it off the ceiling from a hot shoe mounted flash.

It is not in a church, it is in Westmister Palace. I think the room has large windows, so the light should be ok.

Folloing your recomendation, xerovision, and I have a 2 7D , with 70-200 and 16-35 that would be a large effective focal range gap from 35-70mm?

Would I not be better with a 24-70 on the 5D3 as my socond body? as cdang suggests?

The 5D III is a great body, but do you want to try to get familiar with another body in the time have you have it, or know exactly how to set up both cameras. If you really want to use the 5D III then you should rent it, but I would probably get the 16-35 and the 24-70 mark II just to make sure you have wide enough glass.
Liability is for your protection, you may be a quest, and hopefully, nothing would happen and everything will go just perfect, however, you are still the designated photographer and the Westminster Palace may require you to have liability insurance in order to have camera equipment on their property and set up lighting of any kind. Venues do this in order to protect themselves as well. Not all of them ask for proof, but if you don't have it then they have the right to tell you no if you want to take pictures.
Also, if you are taking pictures at the reception, then if there is any alcohol available, then there is always potential for accidents.
I don't want to discourage you from taking the pictures, I really do hope that everything goes smoothly, but I want to make you aware so that nothing happens to you when you are spending money on nice equipment, and taking pictures of one of the most important days for this couple. I have insurance for liability and equipment so that I can rest at ease in the event something does happen.
I understand that at first it appears that with a verbal agreement that both parties have agreed that if the pictures do not turn out, then nothing will happen, but in the event something does go wrong then you may have to deal with the families as well.
Again, I don't want to discourage you in any way about this event, but I am giving you all this information to protect you from anything happening.
Weddings are very stressful on the brides and families because they want everything to go perfect. There are many photographers that refuse to do wedding for this very reason. I hope this will be a good experience for you and there is a better chance of that happening if you cover all your bases.

dannybres
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 13, 2013 11:24 |  #14

Thanks for the detailed post! :) much appreciated.

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 13, 2013 11:54 |  #15

dannybres wrote in post #15927384 (external link)
Thanks.

Ed rader, everyone is advising against a very fast prime, what are you thinking? 85mm f/1.2? If its too hard to use I can stop it down to f/1.8 and it will be handlable! :)

Looks like 5D3, 24-70mm, 70-200mm & 580EX/600EX is the way to go.

Its only £30 a weekend for an 85mm f/1.2, I might just grab one too to play with too! :)
After speeches and the rest of the weekend I can have a play with it.

Even if it is just to play with, I highly recommend getting the 85L to use with the 5D III. Be sure and make an effort to get some wedding shots.

sponsored links

2,210 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lenses/Body rental for a wedding.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.