Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 May 2013 (Monday) 12:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is the grass greener on the other side? (Canon or Nikon)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 14, 2013 01:44 |  #31

Alex_Venom wrote in post #15927752 (external link)
Getting the popcorn...

Cool...
I'll bring the choc-tops.
Who's bringing the drinks?

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,536 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 14, 2013 01:52 |  #32

JGI wrote in post #15929906 (external link)
Canon lenses = 1 year warranty
Nikon lenses = 5 years warranty

Sigma lenses = 10 years warranty

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,245 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2012

May 14, 2013 01:56 |  #33

JGI wrote in post #15929906 (external link)
Canon lenses = 1 year warranty
Nikon lenses = 5 years warranty

But from everything I hear, Nikon will claim user bumped/dropped the lens and therefore void the warranty! ;)

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 14, 2013 03:01 |  #34

Raw v jpeg...
UV filter v No UV filter...
Ford v Chev...
Mac v PC...

Same ole' same ole'.
There will be fan boys of each who can argue why each is better or worse (in their opinion) and never the twain shall meet.

IMAGE: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxk88alD0l1r7w8cbo1_500.gif

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Pjay
619 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 14, 2013 03:31 |  #35

Two years ago (lost my wife, no one to say 'no') I went crazy with camera purchases, had a 7D and some L lenses, but decided to dabble in Nikon. Bought a D700 and a D3s plus some of the better Nikon lenses. The f2.8 24-70 and 70-200 offerings seemed pretty similar to my Canon equivalents, and the 14-24 f2.8 was stunning. Operating backwards and forwards between the two systems was kind of confusing, though some people seem to manage that quite well. I didn't like the more flimsy lens mount on the Nikon bodies, or the counter clockwise lens attachment. The fact that the 105mm macro lens was made in China came as a bit of a shock...

Went to a camera market day to try to sell my Canon glass, got offered peanuts, and decided 'what the heck' - I hadn't seen what that glass could do on a FF body, so a 5D MkIII soon was acquired, along with the 85mm f1.2 lens. The combination does more than I need, though a little extra dynamic range would be occasionally welcome.

Funnily enough, the Nikon gear all sold quite quickly, and for quite reasonable prices. No going back to the 'dark side' for me, most of my other gear is Canon as well (scanner, laser printer/photocopier, Ixus compact camera), so I really do have strong brand loyalty.

Gear List
Flickr (external link) http://instagram.com/p​ixels_n_film (external link)
'Photography is a love affair with life.' Burk Uzzle

RobDickinson
Goldmember
3,976 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

May 14, 2013 03:31 |  #36

Skills > (canon + nikon)

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Pjay
619 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 14, 2013 03:52 as a reply to  @ RobDickinson's post |  #37

"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don't know what to do with it."
Edward Weston

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Gear List
Flickr (external link) http://instagram.com/p​ixels_n_film (external link)
'Photography is a love affair with life.' Burk Uzzle

Kaiser_photographer
196 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 14, 2013 06:01 as a reply to  @ Pjay's post |  #38

For me it doesn't matter how greener the grass is any other side, is how greener I can get mine, I've been a canon user for almost 5 years, was a love n hate relationship sometimes, frustrating mostly due to 5d2 AF, but the files and video ability compensated for that.
Now I tried a fuji x-pro1 and been in love with the file quality and simplicity, sure it's a great camera but can't do some wonderful things that my canons have.
Nikon was always on my horizons, and many times I was tempted to go the dark side, they have some nice glass such as the amazing 14-24mm, that's a wonderful piece of glass I would like to see on canon, but not for a very expensive quote, I'm hoping if they released it someday it will be priced slightly above the 24-70mm L II, but I might disagree based on the 200-400mm price.
Back to Nikon, the new sensors are simply amazing, great DR, big Megapixel and great resolution, makes it tempting.
But in the end it doesn't matter the side you choose or have both, but the use you do to it and if you feel confortable with it.

Gear List
FLICKR (external link)
FLICKR MPS (external link)

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

May 14, 2013 06:22 |  #39

Pjay wrote in post #15930040 (external link)
"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don't know what to do with it."
Edward Weston

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

It's called: chasing a magic bullet... (external link)

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

clarnibass
774 posts
Joined May 2011

May 14, 2013 07:29 |  #40

I use both Canon and Nikon and wouldn't say that in general one of them is better than the other. Some people might prefer one over the other for many reasons.

I use a Nikon camera for some things where I think it is better for me than a Canon equivalent, and vise versa for the Canon camera. This depends on what specifically I want to do with the camera.

In short, IMO it doesn't matter.

www.nitailevi.com (external link)

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 14, 2013 09:40 |  #41

I use Canon because that way I can pick on Nikon shooters. They are the best to pick on because they get all angry and defensive very easily.
Not so easy to get a Leica/Sony/Panasonic/O​lympus/whatever shooter angry. :P
I never made to be a good photographer with Canon. But I had LOTS of fun making jokes about Nikon shooters. :p

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 14, 2013 10:03 as a reply to  @ post 15929906 |  #42

I don't mean to pick on you, well maybe just a little bit but some creative editing and squish all the posts together makes it look funny.

I hate to say something like this, but if people don't have actual experience then they shouldn't write an opinion. Experience also is not shooting with a friends D800E + 14-24 for a day.

davidc502 wrote in post #15928413 (external link)
I read somewhere that Nikon planned on making a similar f/4 line-up like Canon (24-70f/4 70-200f/4 24-105f/4 etc.), but that's been several years ago. Would it be accurate to say that's been completed now? I haven't looked, so I'm asking. Nikon doesn't have the vast array of lenses Canon has.... They are typically harder to find and in some cases more expensive, and not necessarily better IQ.

Canon is really where it's at when it comes to Lenses... IMHO butI don't have the L line-up many here have (don't have any L's). My guess would be that Nikon would have a difficult time matching all the L's vs. regular USM lenses. I wouldn't disagree.

Still it's nice to know where Canon stands vs the competition. I'm always more than happy to give my opinions about it :)

Seriously though, these stores are all pretty well documented. Who done what and why, how and how much it cost. There are pros and cons to both and both systems (actually all systems) will give you a fantastic image. Hell some of my favorite shots were from a hike with a Lumix DMC GF2 and 14-42 kit!

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

drmadhuks
39 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 14, 2013 11:37 as a reply to  @ Mr. Clean's post |  #43

I sold my T2i and bought a D7000. Was impressed with the auto iso which i missed in canon. But i didnt like the colours, its too warm to my liking on the nikon side. Is there an option to fine tune whitw balance. I dont plan to correct WB in each picture and i want to use autoWB, I would like to know if i can change the whole autoWB a bit to cooler side .....like you keep -1/3 exp compensatuion.

Canon G15

sporadic
559 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2008

May 14, 2013 13:15 |  #44

White balance issue IMHO.

Fuji X-T1 | X-T2 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 50-140 | Rokinon 8/2.8II Fisheye | Rokinon 12/2
7D | 300/4 L IS

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

May 14, 2013 13:29 |  #45

sporadic wrote in post #15931466 (external link)
White balance issue IMHO.

bw!

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

sponsored links

6,994 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.