Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 12 May 2013 (Sunday) 16:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moon over Fisher Towers.

Eastcoast
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2004

May 12, 2013 16:28 |  #1

Here is another shot of the Fisher Towers in Castle Valley near Moab Utah. I used the lower exposure for the sky over a layer for the towers themselves. What I am wondering is the hard edge where the towers meet the sky. Does it look too obvious and if so how would I soften it? I am not all that proficient with CS. Blur tool?

I tried linking a full size .tif but not understanding something with photobucket. Oh, well here's a .jpg.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …rtestmerge-1.jpg~original (external link)

John
Be careful out there!

sponsored links
irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 12, 2013 17:01 |  #2

Yeah it's not working too well on my monitor. I'm not a PS guru, but you've got to feather those edges somehow.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,208 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 13, 2013 05:29 |  #3

No go for me. Not sure how to do what you want and make it look natural.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

Firemike
" lingering odor "
3,015 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 13, 2013 08:11 |  #4

I agree with Irishman, the edge sticks out way too much, on my monitor looks like a little bit of a halo as well.

Michael

Canon 40D (x2), 50D, & 7D ( All Gripped) | Canon EF 28-135 1:3/5-5.6 IS | Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 70-200 1:4 L USM
430EX-II | 580EX-II
| Gossen Luna-Pro Digital F Exposure Meter

DigitalFool
86 posts
Joined May 2008

May 13, 2013 08:19 |  #5

It sounds like you have two exposures: one for the towers and one for the moon. What I have done in situations like these, with some success, is to use the select tool on the properly exposed moon, feather the edges lightly, and just paste it onto the image with the properly exposed towers. Oh, and before doing that, I would use the clone tool to remove the overexposed moon from the photo of the towers.

---

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,475 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 13, 2013 11:53 |  #6

If i were going to do this i'd use the towers as top layers and selecting then feather approx 3-4 and place on the moon image . But i'd do this with original images before any other editing cause it is so hard to get 2 edited the same and still look compatable . Also the hard edges are probably from oversharpening .

Eastcoast
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Jan 2004

May 13, 2013 12:23 |  #7

Yeah, I have to agree with the above comments. I am not at all happy with my attempts or results.

The shot was a bracketed exposure and I have tried to use the middle and underexposure without using HDR software. I have been reading up on luminiosity masks and think that I will try them rather than what I did for this. I was just lucky that at the time I was there the moon was just rising as the sun was setting which allowed me to get this shot without resorting to "adding" the moon later.

The middle exposure adjusted in lightroom looks way better than this attempt.

I was attempting to get the sky darker and the moon to pop more.

thanks for all the comments.

John
Be careful out there!

Eastcoast
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Jan 2004

May 13, 2013 17:10 |  #8

Ok, have tried another approach. I used Tony Kuper's tutorials on Luminosity Masks and came up with this. I think that it is definitely on the right road.

Comments? Please.

http://img.photobucket​.com …ertestmerge3.jp​g~original (external link)

John
Be careful out there!

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 13, 2013 19:56 |  #9

Yes--much better. Crop most of the sky out and that is probably all you are going to get out of it. Brighten the rock a bit.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 13, 2013 22:26 |  #10

John,

It's a wonderful composition, but I'm sorry, I don't think you're achieving what you're after with this photograph. There is too much disparity between the two different exposures and it doesn't look natural. Perhaps if the exposure on the sky was brighter, then it might appear to be natural.

Bryan

My Gear List

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 14, 2013 06:35 |  #11

I agree with Bryan. What does the sky in the foreground exposure look like? If you like it you may try just pasting the moon in to it rather than replacing the entire sky.

To get a feel of what that would look like you could cut out the moon with a very loose and rough selection (making sure to get all the moon) drop it your foreground image in a layer above your foreground layer, and then change the blend mode of the moon layer to lighten. That should at the very least give you an idea of what pursuing this option would look like.

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

M424canon
185 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 14, 2013 06:57 |  #12

Eastcoast wrote in post #15925051 (external link)
Here is another shot of the Fisher Towers in Castle Valley near Moab Utah. I used the lower exposure for the sky over a layer for the towers themselves. What I am wondering is the hard edge where the towers meet the sky. Does it look too obvious and if so how would I soften it? I am not all that proficient with CS. Blur tool?

I tried linking a full size .tif but not understanding something with photobucket. Oh, well here's a .jpg.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://smg.photobucket​.com …towertestmerge-1.jpg.html  (external link)

Try luminosity masks on this image. I use them all the time for bracketed exporures. Check out Tony Kuyper's site http://goodlight.us/wr​iting/tutorials.html (external link)
Mxxxxii

Eastcoast
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Jan 2004

May 14, 2013 09:12 |  #13

OK, here's the original shot SOC. I have a series of bracketed shots, -1 0 and +1 exposures. I have done a HDR translation with that but wasn't really happy with the result. What I am after is to punch up the rocks for a more vibrant red and also get the sky a deeper blue.

To me the original shot has all the elements but I am really having trouble getting the picture that I have in mind translated with my editing skills.

I don't think that there is any need to cut and past any moon, it is all ready there, I did not change anything from the original just a crop.

http://img.photobucket​.com …wersSOC-3438.jpg~original (external link)

John
Be careful out there!

pepgirlz
54 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 14, 2013 13:47 |  #14

Hi. I love Moab my husband and I used to go camping there alot.
Any way I like your origianl shot, I would try to adjust levels and curves in CS and then use a Neutral Density gradients filter to give the sky some punch. Then I would try doing some dodging and burning on the rocks if needed. Just my 2cents. Jean

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,475 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 14, 2013 16:18 |  #15

Have you tried playing with the Exposure in Cs before you do other editing ? I think i like the original more than the other two images . Working the Exposure and maybe adjusting the blue might be ok .

sponsored links

1,825 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moon over Fisher Towers.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.