Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Mar 2013 (Tuesday) 23:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Interesting point of view why a pro shooter switches to Nikon

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 29, 2013 12:12 |  #76
bannedPermanent ban

jdizzle wrote in post #15769178 (external link)
I have CPS and NPS. So far I haven't had any issues with either.

Typically we here this bashing the other camera manufacturers from photogs that have never used that gear but only heard it on the Internet...so it must be true.:eek:

sponsored links
SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 29, 2013 12:20 |  #77

I love CPS!

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 29, 2013 12:29 |  #78

Hogloff wrote in post #15769203 (external link)
Typically we here this bashing the other camera manufacturers from photogs that have never used that gear but only heard it on the Internet...so it must be true.:eek:

That's the problem. The internet blows it way out of proportion. :confused:

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 29, 2013 12:34 |  #79

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15769249 (external link)
I love CPS!

CPS is great. I just returned a 1Dx for demo and it went without a hitch. Now, I have a D4 coming in for demo and NPS was helpful throughout the process.

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,312 posts
Joined Nov 2003

May 14, 2013 15:00 |  #80

umphotography wrote in post #15764580 (external link)
Who really cares anyway

Agreed.. People should just use the equipment they're comfortable with

N2bnfunn
767 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 14, 2013 15:30 |  #81

Here we again, I am sick of people telling me how great Nikon is,, geez, if it was SO MUCH better then why do you need to tell me, let the camera speak for itself..

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

oklaiss
471 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 14, 2013 16:23 |  #82

I completely agree that Nikon sensors are way ahead of canon, and that the d600 is a better camera than the 6D. I just hope Canon does something with its next round of cameras to keep me with the brand, otherwise I may very well switch to a d800e

5D Mark II Gripped, 60D Gripped, 450D, 24-105 f/4L, 85 1.8, 70-200 f/4L IS, Nifty Fifty, 28 1.8, B+W/Lee/Cokin/Hitech filters, 430ex II x2
Flickr (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,306 posts
Gallery: 363 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Dec 2005

May 14, 2013 19:26 |  #83

most of the pros I know use Phase1 or medium fornat

FUJI XT3 CANON 5D3 & a bunch of lenses for both
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 14, 2013 19:44 |  #84

And now for a rank amateur's point of view. I read through this thread and couldn't care less about anything mentioned in the article or the comments in this thread. Does any of this really mean anything to a guy who mainly shoots his cats and his grandchildren? I moved from a Panasonic DMC-FZ8 to the T1i and am now shooting a 60D and 5D, both with some good glass and some mediocre glass. I am happy with the results I get, most of the time. When I'm not, I examine what I did wrong or where I need to upgrade some equipment. The difference between Canon and Nikon, or any other brand, is not going to make me dump $10,000 worth of equipment on the used market, just to spend $15,000+ to replace it all. I would be willing to bet there a lot more shooters at my level, than there are at the "I gotta switch NOW, XXX is better this week!" level. And Canon knows that. The top 2% of the market drives advertising to pros. It has little effect on we of the unwashed masses.

DanFrank
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 14, 2013 20:09 as a reply to  @ post 15766227 |  #85

This is how I figure it. Canon=Nvidia Nikon=AMD. Both industry leaders. AMD scales better in Crossfire than Nvidia does in SLI. But AMDs shuttering is terrible. AMD have a higher bit rate, Nvidia runs cooler. Every other generation of graphis cards outprrforms the other. Sometimes AMD leads, sometimes Nvidia leads. Same as Nikon & Canon

Weather your taste is Canon & Nvidia or Nikon & AMD its all the same, just slightly different.

Gear "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 14, 2013 20:24 |  #86

Well, the Canon 6D is outperforming the Nikon D600 for sure when it comes to image quality. AF speed and all that is different, sure, but the 6D's ability to handle low light is incredible.

I shoot a Nikon D7000, and I promise you my photography skills are just as horrible as they were when I shot with a Canon T2i.

The best part about switching, for me (based on my level of affordability---mid level crops) was that Nikon's shutters are extremely quiet. That means a lot to me. I hated the loud shutter of the T2i. My Nikon can shoot in a quiet room and barely be heard.

I'm still partial to Canons, however. When I go full frame it will be the 6D.

Thank you. bw!

Downs ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 14, 2013 21:44 |  #87

I'm happy with my 5d Mark III. I Love it! I don't know if must of you guys realize it, but these will flip flop forever. Next time around canon will have the better sensor etc. So will you all change again? Before you sell all your equipment rent some gear for a week or so and shoot with it like crazy and see if you enjoy it.

| 5D mark III | 5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L |Canon 24-105L | Canon 70-200L 2.8L IS II | Sigma 35 1.4 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 85 1.4 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Gear
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 15, 2013 04:08 |  #88

Downs Photography wrote in post #15933040 (external link)
I don't know if must of you guys realize it, but these will flip flop forever. Next time around canon will have the better sensor etc.

I can only hope you are right. But it would be reassuring to get some kind of hint from Canon because it seems as if their minds are elsewhere.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 15, 2013 07:11 |  #89

bulldog-yota wrote in post #15761650 (external link)
Personally I have been tempted by the 5dIII, but decided to hold out a bit longer with my little 7D to see where things go over the next year or so. I'm not a pro, so no real pressure.

If you're going to go to full frame, I'm of the opinion that you should do it because full frame gives you real and significant advantages. In reality, the only truly major advantage it will give you is shallower depth of field. If you always find yourself ISO limited then full frame will get you an advantage there as well, but understand that the advantage of a given full frame camera that you buy will disappear over time as technology improves, because crop cameras are improving in their high ISO characteristics as well.

The bottom line really is that you need to buy something that will meet your needs, but it may not make sense for you to buy anything more than that, depending on what your budget is. Hey, if you have a huge wad of cash, there's certainly nothing wrong with spending it on a full frame camera setup even if you don't strictly need it! But if you're concerned about budget, then a crop setup is generally way more bang for the buck. And frankly, the 7D is about as good as it gets right now in terms of overall capability in a crop camera even compared with Nikon (though the D7100 is better in some respects, and worse in others, but overall is going to be right up there).

If your 7D is serving you well, then I'd just stick with it. It's an incredibly capable camera.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 15, 2013 11:05 |  #90

Downs Photography wrote in post #15933040 (external link)
I'm happy with my 5d Mark III. I Love it! I don't know if must of you guys realize it, but these will flip flop forever. Next time around canon will have the better sensor etc. So will you all change again? Before you sell all your equipment rent some gear for a week or so and shoot with it like crazy and see if you enjoy it.

I don't know if you know this but, the banding has been going on since the 1D MK II. It's a characteristic of all Canon sensors even with the current bodies.

sponsored links

18,808 views & 0 likes for this thread
Interesting point of view why a pro shooter switches to Nikon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.